For years I have watched PBS on my BlackBerry 10 devices. Recently, no matter what program I attempt to watch, I get an error message: "Error loading player: No playable sources found"

The link to a typical show I am attempting to watch is: Watch Full Episodes Online of PBS NewsHour on PBS | PBS NewsHour full episode March 11, 2016

Attached is a screen shot of the error message.
    Can't Watch PBS Video on Z10 or Z30-img_20160312_113933.png

I've noticed too that when I attempt to watch videos played in JW Player, when I tap to make the video full-screen, it will blink full-screen for just a second and immediately return to the previous size. It never stays full-screen. I don't know if there is any correlation or if that's unrelated.

I'd be grateful for any help or insight.

Timothius
    03-12-16 10:50 AM
    For years I have watched PBS on my BlackBerry 10 devices. Recently, no matter what program I attempt to watch, I get an error message: "Error loading player: No playable sources found"

The link to a typical show I am attempting to watch is: Watch Full Episodes Online of PBS NewsHour on PBS | PBS NewsHour full episode March 11, 2016

Attached is a screen shot of the error message.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160312_113933.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	393969

I've noticed too that when I attempt to watch videos played in JW Player, when I tap to make the video full-screen, it will blink full-screen for just a second and immediately return to the previous size. It never stays full-screen. I don't know if there is any correlation or if that's unrelated.

I'd be grateful for any help or insight.

Timothius
    The native BB10 browser no longer supports Flash. I believe that may be your issue (at least with respect to PBS). Zeus Browser (supports Flash and available in BBW) and I've confirmed it plays fine on my device.
    03-12-16 10:59 AM
    When I clicked the link I included in this post, it opened in the "Crackberry" browser and played, but when I copied the link and pasted it into the stock browser, Zeus browser, and Evolution browser, it got the error message.

Timothius
    03-12-16 11:03 AM
    Well that's a horse of a different color entirely

Sorry. I just assumed that may be a cause since it didn't play in my native browser but popped right up in Zeus.
    03-12-16 11:10 AM
    When I'm in desktop mode on the native browser it plays fine.

When desktop mode is disabled, I get your error.

So to remedy, access your native browser settings... tap developer mode and then enable desktop mode. Changing to desktop mode applies to the Evolution and Zeus Browsers as well.
    Last edited by semime; 03-12-16 at 11:28 AM.
    03-12-16 11:13 AM
    OK. Thanks for your help. It plays in the stock browser in desktop mode.

Are you able to get it to play full-screen?
    03-12-16 11:28 AM
    OK. Thanks for your help. It plays in the stock browser in desktop mode.

Are you able to get it to play full-screen?
    You're welcome. No, it's doing the same as you reported -- not sure how to remedy that one.
    03-12-16 11:37 AM
    Thanks again for taking the time to explore this issue and provide help!

It's interesting that this is occurring, because, with the stock browser, I could watch the videos in mobile mode and double tap to make it play full-screen until three or four weeks ago. I can only surmise that some update to JW Player, which seems to be the mechanism by which most sites stream html5 video, must have been implemented, that is not compatible with the BlackBerry browser in mobile mode. It would be great if BlackBerry would update the browser to address this. However, I'm afraid we are likely to experience more and more aspects of BB10 that do not work properly, as it seems BlackBerry is no longer committed to the OS, and that's a real shame.

I have notified PBS of the issue, and I'm awaiting a reply. In the mean time, if anyone has a solution that allows one to view the videos in the stock browser while in mobile mode, please share.

Timothius
    semime likes this.
    03-12-16 01:49 PM
    Thanks.
    03-15-16 02:28 AM