My Dtek60 rear camera has ceased to properly focus, and I contacted BlackBerry head office to advise me of a local repair location to have it serviced.

I was told I could send it to a location in Mississauga/Ontario, I would have to pay for repair since it's out of warranty, and it could take 2 to 3 wks. I should also completely scrub the phone of information prior to sending it in.

Thats a long time to be without my workhorse phone, especially if I decided the repair was too expensive once I received the prognosis and estimate. I would also have to completely reinstate everything on the phone - which I customize to the nth degree.

So I asked for a rough estimate of a camera replacement for this device (worst case scenario) I was told the customer service reps do not have that info. I politely asked for CS to request it from the repair department. 2 days later I received this lovely letter.

I don't have my vehicle or camera serviced (or dry cleaning for that matter!) without some cost estimate going in. And of course I understand it could change for the worse if there is further damage. But I have never been refused an approx estimate before. There should be a way they can offer a ballpark price?
    Attached Thumbnails Can't give estimate for repair?-30283.jpg  
    01-30-19 09:43 PM
    Has anyone else had to repair their rear camera? (how expensive was it). Or another place to have it serviced in southern Ontario? or any other suggestions?
    01-30-19 09:52 PM
    Has anyone else had to repair their rear camera? (how expensive was it). Or another place to have it serviced in southern Ontario? or any other suggestions?
    Any decent phone shop can fix anything. Just find someone local.
    01-30-19 09:56 PM
    There is a mobile company that will come to your location and fix your phone in the Toronto area, sorry can't remember there name
    01-31-19 03:58 PM
    I wouldn't spend over $30 or so to fix a DTEK60
    02-04-19 12:17 PM
    Have a two year iPhone, it's worth spending $100 to fix it.

Have a two year old generic Android phone that no longer gets updates.... $100 could go towards something new.
    02-04-19 01:15 PM
    Update - BlackBerry pursued the original reply with a followup email. But so far nobody in this whole company can find a price for parts and labour to replace a camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Can't give estimate for repair?-34327.jpg  
    02-06-19 02:28 PM
    My letter to BlackBerry :
    Attached Thumbnails Can't give estimate for repair?-34323.jpg  
    02-06-19 02:30 PM
    I will agree that they ought to be able to quote prices for some repairs.... sounds like your camera replacement should be pretty straight forward. Other repairs will require some diagnostics to figure them out, which is why they just don't bother with all the different estimate options.

But that's been their "process" going back to BBOS days...

You want an estimate, find a local repair shop... they'll be cheaper anyway.
    02-06-19 03:05 PM