Hi, i got on eBay BlackBerry 8700f. I know i need desktop app and i got that from archive.org. app Can recognize my phone and everything look good until app uploader. I have some freeware apps and when im sending them to phone nothing is happening. I mean desktop app is doing some calculation, then my smartphone is like... Loosing connection? I dont know what is the issue, but i cannot load any game. I have still over 40mb free space. What im I doing wrong? Can be the cable issue? I have also 7290 phone which is not recognized .
    Rake likes this.
    06-07-23 01:41 AM
    Hi, i got on eBay BlackBerry 8700f. I know i need desktop app and i got that from archive.org. app Can recognize my phone and everything look good until app uploader. I have some freeware apps and when im sending them to phone nothing is happening. I mean desktop app is doing some calculation, then my smartphone is like... Loosing connection? I dont know what is the issue, but i cannot load any game. I have still over 40mb free space. What im I doing wrong? Can be the cable issue? I have also 7290 phone which is not recognized .
    You may have to join the forum to respond back, but what apps? Where did you get them from?

Do they have the extensions .jad or .jar ?

I hope you aren't trying to load android apps? Because those don't work on the old BlackBerry OS.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by joeldf; 06-07-23 at 07:15 AM.
    06-07-23 06:46 AM
    Really need to use an older PC from the same era as the phone.
    Make sure you have BB Desktop software installed.
    Have a good cable.
    Make sure whatever apps your trying to install, are compatible with the phone.... Not really sure what version of BBOS the 8700f ran.
    06-07-23 07:26 AM
    Hi, i created this thread.
    Yes im trying upload freeware BlackBerry apps from mobyware. They come in .alx and .cod format (.jad are not recognized by desktop app)
    06-07-23 01:38 PM
    Hi, i created this thread.
    Yes im trying upload freeware BlackBerry apps from mobyware. They come in .alx and .cod format (.jad are not recognized by desktop app)
    You need to specifically find a copy of BlackBerry Desktop Manager and use the Application Loader found within. As Dunt Dunt Dunt said, you'll likely need an older Windows PC.
    06-07-23 03:54 PM
    Hi, im using windows 10 and windows xp. Boty have the same issue. (same as 7290 is not recognized). Im using desktop app and app manager in there. I will try program from this website @Bla1ze linked.
    06-07-23 05:53 PM
    Ok, i just tested the software from link and... same issue. App loader is trying to transfer apps, but phone is losing connection. I tried with my xp laptop and still same issue. Phone 7290 still unknown by dekstop app :/
    06-07-23 06:13 PM
    I know with Windows 7 there was an update that pretty much killed USB connectivity for BlackBerry phones... had to deep dive into USB port settings. Later BlackBerry released an update that fixed the issue...

Latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Use different USB ports (avoid higher end ports)
    Try different USB cables - might be hard with these nearly twenty year old BlackBerries with their devices specific cables.
    Might try cleaning ports on phone and on the cable

Bottom line these are nearly twenty year old phones... Not sure what your goals is here, at this point you should remove the batteries, clean them up and frame them as personal collectables. (or sell them if you can)

If you want a mini handheld gaming system for old retro games... I'm not sure which apps work on these early BlackBerry's. While my 9650 did get Angry Birds, I doubt something like that would run on a 7290 or a 8700f.
    06-08-23 09:00 AM