My service provider is Rogers and I have a data plan with my mobile service. I tried creating an email account on my Bold 9780 and was actually able to send emails but it appears to be a one-way deal. I can't receive email on this device.

Without BIS, should I have even gotten this far? I have sent emails to other Rogers email accounts as well as my gmail email account. Why can I send email but not receive it on this device?

Thanks.

RBR
    07-19-20 05:09 PM
    You will have to get BIS, it will not work without BIS. Data plan will help with some services but not for the email
    07-19-20 05:46 PM
    That's what I thought but why am I still able to send email from from Bold 9780?
    07-19-20 05:57 PM
    That's what I thought but why am I still able to send email from from Bold 9780?
    There may be a way. IF you can get a 3rd party browser, you can probably use it for email. 3rd party email clients might work too, but the baked in blackberry email probably requires BIS.
    07-19-20 07:08 PM
    My service provider is Rogers and I have a data plan with my mobile service. I tried creating an email account on my Bold 9780 and was actually able to send emails but it appears to be a one-way deal. I can't receive email on this device.

Without BIS, should I have even gotten this far? I have sent emails to other Rogers email accounts as well as my gmail email account. Why can I send email but not receive it on this device?

Thanks.

RBR
    Depends on the carrier. When SIM inserted, the carrier provisioning may automatically trigger BIS if still allowed. However, some of your settings may be incorrect.
    07-19-20 10:55 PM

Thanks.

RBR
    Depends on the carrier. When SIM inserted, the carrier provisioning may automatically trigger BIS if still allowed. However, some of your settings may be incorrect.
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Is the email account you added a pop3 or IMAP account? They both have separate incoming and outgoing server names.

Also check that port number and whether SSL is on or not.

The fact that it half works seems to suggest BIS is working. Another sign would be the 4-dot BB logo at the top and "3G" or "H+" being uppercase.
    07-20-20 02:35 PM
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Is the email account you added a pop3 or IMAP account? They both have separate incoming and outgoing server names.

Also check that port number and whether SSL is on or not.

The fact that it half works seems to suggest BIS is working. Another sign would be the 4-dot BB logo at the top and "3G" or "H+" being uppercase.
    Ok, so on my device when I go to Messages>Options>Email Account Management and edit the email address. When I click on Advanced Options the following info is displayed:

Email Server:
    rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com

Email Server Type:
    IMAP

Port:
    Use SSL (checked)

Timeout:
    120 seconds

Only one server is indicated. It is an editable field. None of the other data in this display can be edited. The email address is a Rogers account. Besides Yahoo Mail other options listed are: Gmail, AOL, Windows Live, Other and Create New Address (Blackberry email address). I've tried Yahoo and Other to create my Rogers email on my Bold 9780 device.

There is a BIS login page at the Rogers site that allows you do create and modify email addresses but with the same results and limitations. The only way I could specify a POP server is by editing the email server field but doing so simply resulted in the following error message:

"An error occurred during email account validation.
    Please check your information and try again."

I was permitted to change the server info to "imap.broadband.rogers.com". The end result is still the same - I can send but not receive email.

In my Gmail account I looked at the message header info of the email I sent from my device and it indicated the message was sent via srs.bis6.us.blackberry.com.

Does this offer any more clues?

RBR
    07-20-20 07:18 PM
    Well, I decided to just do a security wipe, re-register the device and create an email account via the setup app. The email creation completed normally and after 20 minutes or thereabouts I started to receive email! Through this whole exercise over the last two days it is quite apparent that BIS is alive for Rogers subscribers in Canada. Not sure what the problem was but the security wipe/registration cleared up whatever problems existed.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-21-20 08:45 PM