I just picked up a PRIV this week and haven't had much time to get used to it yet. Is there a way to enable a hands free driving mode or can someone recommend an app that works well. My vehicle is old and has no Bluetooth or docking capabilites. Thank you.
    04-26-17 05:26 PM
    Yes, if you use 'Android Auto App' in the Google Play Store.
    Android Auto now works with any car! You can connect your phone to a compatible car display, or put your phone in a dock and use Android Auto directly from your phone screen. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and powerful voice actions, Android Auto is designed to make it easier to use apps from your phone while you’re on the road. Navigate with Google Maps, listen to playlists or podcasts from your favorite apps, send messages via voice, and more.

To use Android Auto, you’ll need a phone running Android 5.0 or higher (Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat) and an active data connection. You may also need to update some of your existing apps, such as Google Maps, Google Play Music, or Google Search.

To find out if your car display supports Android Auto and how to enable it, check your owner’s manual or contact your car’s manufacturer. Once enabled, connect your phone with a high quality USB cable to your car to launch Android Auto.
    Learn more about Android Auto at http://www.android.com/auto/
    Check out apps for Android Auto at https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...droid_auto_all

For support and known issues: https://support.google.com/androidauto/
    04-26-17 05:56 PM
    Are you for real or just some automated advertising bot? You obviously did not read the part about my old vehicle. So I have to consider your advice to be straight from from Google marketing.
    04-26-17 09:43 PM
    Are you for real or just some automated advertising bot? You obviously did not read the part about my old vehicle. So I have to consider your advice to be straight from from Google marketing.
    So there, lol. I suspect the person is real, and the info, whist useful, is general rather than specific to your needs.
    04-26-17 09:53 PM
    So there, lol. I suspect the person is real, and the info, whist useful, is general rather than specific to your needs.
    Were I you, I'd get an aftermarket deck with an aux plug. That would do the trick. I use Verizon message + app and can set it to read texts to me. Most messaging apps have a driving mode so you can set them that way. You could possibly get it to work through a set of headphones bluetooth or wired but I knew it works with the aux jack. I went to Walmart and bought a Kenwood deck to put in me old subaru. My 20 year old truck came with an aftermarket deck with the plug. The one I put in my car is bluetooth compatible as well. I do have a priv I use daily btw
    04-26-17 10:45 PM
    Thank you medic22003, your advise seems to make sense, I am already using Verizon message + I just was not aware that it could take care of my driving needs as well. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works.
    04-27-17 05:59 PM
    If you were responding to the post above about Android Auto, it doesn't matter how old your vehicle is. It's an app that runs on your phone. Put the phone in a dash or window mount. I have used it. My "old" vehicle doesn't have a built-in screen either. I also use a Jabra Freeway Bluetooth car speaker. Receive and make calls and listen to music if I so choose. Although I have not used any text to speech features, I'm sure it's possible.

Update : I have downloaded the Jabra App from the Google Play store. I have the option for it to read texts, emails, etc. I only have texts checked and it works great! Reads the text message exactly.
    Last edited by misterabrasive; 05-12-17 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Update.
    04-27-17 08:09 PM