Hey folks. Requesting some assistance with a VERY frustrating and TOTALLY unprofessional situation with my Z10 that's making me appear to be an incompetent pain in the *** to my clients.

My Z10 is automatically - without warning or even prompting for an "okay" - deleting email and text history. I was under the impression this was a business tool not a social toy.

I have searched (the handset itself, forums, Google, etc) for the settings for this but I cannot seem to find any option at all for timeframe to keep messages. But really, as a business tool, the default should be forever - UNLESS I PERSONALLY INSTRUCT DELETION - whether manually or via message settings.

Please help with a clear answer.........."Yes it can" or "No it cannot". If yes, I would greatly appreciate a detailed how-to.

I have always preferred my Blackberrys (have owned several including a Playbook), but right now I am very very close to ditching entirely for iPhone and Apple.

Thanks all and hope someone can help.

Truly,

Frustrated/Embarrassed beyond belief
    10-28-14 10:37 AM
    Settings > Accounts > your email account > Sync TimeFrame > set sync to forever

That controlls how far into the past your device will fetch messages, but it also controls how long it will keep theem.

Personally, all messages past 90 days get the axe here. If I didn't act on them by 90 days, they were not important.
    10-28-14 11:12 AM
    On a side note, remote email search will be here soon.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 11:40 AM
    Thanks for that. The only option I'm seeing however is "Sync Interval". This only gives the options of "5min" up to "24hrs" or "manual". It's currently set at 30min but I can most definitely fetch messages prior to 30 minutes ago - and good thing too

As a contractor, I often recieve, send, and negotiate options, pricing, etc via messaging. 90 days is not a long time for a line of work where projects can easily extend to a year or more.

Having said that though, I'm referring to messages deleted/missing that are less than a month old. As of this afternoon for one particular client, I have no emails (other than a draft) prior to Oct 9..............that's 19 days. Nonsensical to me at this point.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-28-14 11:46 AM
    If you don't see it, the protocol used to get your email does not support changing it after adding the account. You can workaround that by removing the account from the phone and addint it back, just remeber to hit Advanced before you're done. Then you can set up a longer TimeFrame. Be advised that if you do set it to Forever when you are on the add account setup, your device will download every single email pon the server. That can waste your battery and internal memory mighty fast. 90 days sounds like a nice spot for me, but you know your needs better!

On a sidenote, it could be either IMAP or 10.3.1 allow you to change that setting at will.

Projects!!! Yay!!!! Digression time!!!!

As a project manager, I tend to keep the documents I'll need handy, either on BOX or on the SD card (thou mostly on BOX since I don't wanna risk files going public when they don't need to). Messages (email), I don't really need around unless it's something somebody had to do and I need feedback, or something I have to do and need to give feedback. If it's just idle info, the email can vanish from all I care.

Another workaround for you! Flag them! That sends a copy of the email to Remember and even if it's deleted from the HUB, it will still be on Remember. Keep in mind those are local and should you wipe your device, they go into nothingness.
    10-28-14 01:37 PM
    Thanks "diegonei".

Flagging to get emails over to Remember sounds like a VERY good solution. Had no idea it did that. Sounds very quick and efficient. Cheers. Can't say I'm a huge fan of redundant functions like copy paste, move that here, move this there. I look at it this way.........I've received it and read it. Maybe even replied to it. So I've got it...........for WHEN EVER I might need it again. Will flagging a message then let me choose which folder to put it to?

And I will delete the email account and set it up again with the settings I need as soon as I get the chance.

I agree with you 100% that idle info messages can disappear for all I care, but a handset can't tell the difference between idle junk, useless conversations, and pivotal discussions I may need to refer back to at some point. ANYTHING (imo) disappearing from a handset without the user initiating it or at least agreeing to it case by case is a pretty insane thought. Were I in high school or strictly using my phone for social fun times and media it wouldn't really alter my world if emails from last week or last month or yesterday were lost or even the entire handset wiped somehow.........that, and I'd have been on iphone or android long ago to get all the ooey-gooey fun apps. But other than SMS with my kids, I use my handset for business. I choose Blackberry because it's second to none in focus on that - hard to argue it as an incredible choice for much else really. With that usage in mind, NONE of the info on my phone could be considered flippant or loseable. I have friends whom I've witnessed lose their phone, shatter the screen, spill a drink on it, drop it in a pool, whatever, and their biggest reaction is, "That sucks large. I lost all my contacts......and that chick's number. Damn. You think I can fix it? How much is a new phone, anyway? Oh well, I'll check into it tomorrow when I get a chance."

My reaction?........ "Ho. Lee. Sh**. Hope the back up is good. It's going to burn at least half my day getting a new unit all set up. Don't have time for that. And what about the address that client just sent me an hour ago......I need to be there in 25 minutes. I could zip back to my office and print out the PDF drawings for the following meeting I guess, but no time. Aaaaarrrrrrrggggg!!!".

It's the same when that email I had is now gone. Not good.

My last thought is that with all the possible memory capacity available, why delete at all? Once it's gone........it's gone. Important or not. And if memory IS the issue, why not an option to store messages automatically and indefinitelty on the data card.

Thanks again for the assistance. Much appreciated!
    11-08-14 09:05 AM
    dew066, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

But really, any side note containing the words "Blackberry" and "......will be coming soon", is exactly that............a side note. It may happen in the next upgrade or may not see it in this lifetime. Blackberry's limited success and stellar habit of lagging behind competitors can arguably be pinned directly on their habitual acceptance of that phrase as an official public announcement of what's coming.
    11-08-14 09:18 AM
    I have remote search now, it is in the 10.3.1 leaks. If you want to install a leak you can have it now, hut at this point I would wait for the official release which will be before Christmas.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:22 AM