I just bought a semi-new KEYOne off eBay. I say semi-new, because it may or may not be factory refurb. Here is the description from the Ad:

"Blackberry Keyone smartphone. Kit comes with the entire original Blackberry box with all its contents, plus 2 different cases (rubber soft and hard). My old keyone was having some hardware issues but was still under its 1 year warranty. I elected to have BlackBerry do a warranty replacement of the phone, but then decided to upgrade to a different phone. This is the phone they sent me. I am not sure if it is a brand new phone, or a manufacturer refurbished, hence I elected to label it as manufacturer refurbished. I have plugged the phone in to charge it and turn it on. Aside from that, I have not played with the phone. "

The seller is in the USA, I am in Canada. The phone can see the local cellular networks, including mine. However, I cannot actually get service using either my SIM card (Telus) or my girlfriend's (Rogers). I don't get a "this phone is locked" message, I just get a no bar indicator. With my girlfriend's it could at least identify her phone number under SIM Status, with mine it can't do anything. It didn't even select the correct time zone when I first connected it.

Either this thing is broken in a VERY odd way, or it is somehow locked to US carriers. Does anybody have any experience or advice? Given the odd circumstances of the sale, I would rather try to return it only as a last resort.

Thanks!
    02-23-19 06:56 AM
    I just bought a semi-new KEYOne off eBay. I say semi-new, because it may or may not be factory refurb. Here is the description from the Ad:

"Blackberry Keyone smartphone. Kit comes with the entire original Blackberry box with all its contents, plus 2 different cases (rubber soft and hard). My old keyone was having some hardware issues but was still under its 1 year warranty. I elected to have BlackBerry do a warranty replacement of the phone, but then decided to upgrade to a different phone. This is the phone they sent me. I am not sure if it is a brand new phone, or a manufacturer refurbished, hence I elected to label it as manufacturer refurbished. I have plugged the phone in to charge it and turn it on. Aside from that, I have not played with the phone. "

The seller is in the USA, I am in Canada. The phone can see the local cellular networks, including mine. However, I cannot actually get service using either my SIM card (Telus) or my girlfriend's (Rogers). I don't get a "this phone is locked" message, I just get a no bar indicator. With my girlfriend's it could at least identify her phone number under SIM Status, with mine it can't do anything. It didn't even select the correct time zone when I first connected it.

Either this thing is broken in a VERY odd way, or it is somehow locked to US carriers. Does anybody have any experience or advice? Given the odd circumstances of the sale, I would rather try to return it only as a last resort.

Thanks!
    Type *#837837# into the phone dialer. What is the model, PRD, and OS build?
    02-23-19 07:58 AM
    Product Name: BBB100-3
    Software version: ABD796
    Hardware Version: PRD-63118-001
    CU Ref: PRD-63118-001
    02-23-19 08:06 AM
    Product Name: BBB100-3
    Software version: ABD796
    Hardware Version: PRD-63118-001
    CU Ref: PRD-63118-001
    There's the problem. You have a CDMA model made specifically for the Verizon network in the US.

I would return it while you still can.

The BBB100-1, PRD-63116-001 is the unlocked silver model for the rest of North America.

Consider the 4GB black edition though:

BlackBerry Keyone Limited Edition 64gb Black BB100-1 GSM ONLY Canadian Version Unlocked https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075WYK9B3/...UvbUpU13352016

Better yet, the new KEY² LE:

BlackBerry KEY2 LE Unlocked Android Smartphone, 4GB RAM/64GB ROM, 13MP Rear Dual Camera, Android 8.1 Oreo, Dual SIM – Slate https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HKYHQYX/...UvbUpU13352016
    Last edited by conite; 02-23-19 at 09:31 AM.
    02-23-19 09:17 AM
    Thanks! The phone was sold as unlocked, so the seller has accepted the return. Apparently his original phone was unlocked, so he assumed. I really appreciate your help.
    02-23-19 05:35 PM
    Thanks! The phone was sold as unlocked, so the seller has accepted the return. Apparently his original phone was unlocked, so he assumed. I really appreciate your help.
    Technically, his phone was unlocked, but was created and certified for the VZW CDMA and VZW LTE networks. Since it wasn’t sold by VZW, it’s not locked to VZW network. However, nobody else uses the VZW CDMA frequencies, and so you end up with only VZW LTE frequencies usable on different carriers. The device also doesn’t upgrade to Oreo so it doesn’t lose its VZW certification.

Follow conite’s recommendations and you’ll be fine...
    02-24-19 08:28 AM