I am retiring from working as an Administrator for my city's school district. I am no longer on the BES but I still use my BlackBerry as a personal device.
    I have a few educators I am still friends with who are also retired or retiring and we would like to set up a group chat on BlackBerry. I despise the noise of other social media. This group chat would be to keep in touch, share articles and plan events.
    We had a BBM group a few years ago but BBM doesn't seem to exist anymore. I looked into Jabber for BlackBerry but I don't have an access key as I am not on a BES anymore.
    Is there a way to still group chat on a BlackBerry ?
    10-07-21 08:45 PM
    I'm presuming that when you say you're (and the others you want to collaborate with) using a Blackberry, you mean a device using BBOS/BB10, not a Blackberry using Android. If that's the case, the simplest answer is no. Blackberry services like instant messaging and group chat on BBOS/BB10 devices currently really only exist in an enterprise context, i.e. someone's footing the bill for BBM Enterprise® infrastructure and management (e.g. your employer). Once you're no longer a part of that organization, unless they let you keep your access, you lose access to the services.

I'm not even sure how long BBME will last.

If the group is using a mixture of BBOS/BB10 and iPhone/Android, the answer is even more complicated, you must be signed up to a BBME instance to collaborate but the BBME BBOS/BB10 device users can't communicate with BBME iPhone/Android device users and vice versa, only with "their own kind".

If your head isn't spinning by now, the last scenario is if the group you wish to set up all happen to be using iPhone/Android AND none of you are part of an organization using BBME, then the answer is yes, you can all continue to collaborate with the catch being using something else other than BBME. This isn't really a catch though, it's a blessing, as you'll be using something far more secure, updated and which isn't likely to die soon. Try apps like Threema, which is the closest I've found to replicating the old BBM experience and featureset, with NO social media features.
    10-09-21 12:33 PM
    Couldn't you all just use whatsapp?
    10-09-21 12:38 PM
    I am retiring from working as an Administrator for my city's school district. I am no longer on the BES but I still use my BlackBerry as a personal device.
    I have a few educators I am still friends with who are also retired or retiring and we would like to set up a group chat on BlackBerry. I despise the noise of other social media. This group chat would be to keep in touch, share articles and plan events.
    We had a BBM group a few years ago but BBM doesn't seem to exist anymore. I looked into Jabber for BlackBerry but I don't have an access key as I am not on a BES anymore.
    Is there a way to still group chat on a BlackBerry ?
    If you tell us exactly what device you're using we will be able to help better. If you're on BBOS/BB10 then you have until Jan 4 /22 to use BBM. If you're using an Android BlackBerry then the options multiply.
    10-09-21 02:29 PM
    I'm presuming that when you say you're (and the others you want to collaborate with) using a Blackberry, you mean a device using BBOS/BB10, not a Blackberry using Android. If that's the case, the simplest answer is no. Blackberry services like instant messaging and group chat on BBOS/BB10 devices currently really only exist in an enterprise context, i.e. someone's footing the bill for BBM Enterprise® infrastructure and management (e.g. your employer). Once you're no longer a part of that organization, unless they let you keep your access, you lose access to the services.

I'm not even sure how long BBME will last.

If the group is using a mixture of BBOS/BB10 and iPhone/Android, the answer is even more complicated, you must be signed up to a BBME instance to collaborate but the BBME BBOS/BB10 device users can't communicate with BBME iPhone/Android device users and vice versa, only with "their own kind".

If your head isn't spinning by now, the last scenario is if the group you wish to set up all happen to be using iPhone/Android AND none of you are part of an organization using BBME, then the answer is yes, you can all continue to collaborate with the catch being using something else other than BBME. This isn't really a catch though, it's a blessing, as you'll be using something far more secure, updated and which isn't likely to die soon. Try apps like Threema, which is the closest I've found to replicating the old BBM experience and featureset, with NO social media features.
    I chat with BBM (not enterprise) users all the time using BBMe.
    10-09-21 02:31 PM
    Couldn't you all just use whatsapp?
    Do you trust Facebook (the owner) that much?
    10-17-21 03:04 AM
    Do you trust Facebook (the owner) that much?
    For chats, sharing articles, planning some meetings - why not? Messenger lite is another option.

And when talking about the shutdown, mentioned earlier - isn't the mobile data a thing that can be expected to continue working on bb10 for you folks in the US?
    10-17-21 03:30 AM