Hi-

I just purchased a Blackberry 9320 from Amazon for my daughter who is 12.
    I am in the UK.

The main reason she wanted this phone is to network with her friends using Whatsapp.

Sounds simple - but her previous phone was a simple pay as you go and I don't really want a monthly bill. She doesn't use her phone that much.

I have read that BIS is necessary in order to use Whatsapp on the Blackberry - is this true?
    - and if so how do I get it and will I need to pay anything??

Thanks everyone.

Richard
    12-16-14 04:11 AM
    Yes BIS is necessary. Although they are ways to bypass it. I am from India so can't speak for you but here you can enable TCP/IP and enter the APN of your operator. Doing this, whatsapp and all other apps will work on a normal data plan. Other than that, it will also work on wifi.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    12-16-14 05:13 AM
    Hi-

I just purchased a Blackberry 9320 from Amazon for my daughter who is 12.
    I am in the UK.

The main reason she wanted this phone is to network with her friends using Whatsapp.

Sounds simple - but her previous phone was a simple pay as you go and I don't really want a monthly bill. She doesn't use her phone that much.

I have read that BIS is necessary in order to use Whatsapp on the Blackberry - is this true?
    - and if so how do I get it and will I need to pay anything??

Thanks everyone.

Richard
    Depending on what network you're on, you'll need to call the network provider to activate the BlackBerry Internet Service. I think you'll have to top up 5 every month to use BIS.

Edit: I don't know how those two wallpapers got attached.
    Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Can I get Whatsapp on a Blackberry 7 with pay as you go?-walls_2_edit.png   Can I get Whatsapp on a Blackberry 7 with pay as you go?-walls_0.png  
    12-16-14 07:24 AM
    Yes BIS is necessary. Although they are ways to bypass it. I am from India so can't speak for you but here you can enable TCP/IP and enter the APN of your operator. Doing this, whatsapp and all other apps will work on a normal data plan. Other than that, it will also work on wifi.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    Bypassing will mean that standard BlackBerry apps like mail,BBM will not work .... if u need only whatsapp then go for it.. Always BIS s d best... missing it in BB10...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mechanizer22; 12-16-14 at 09:48 AM.
    12-16-14 09:33 AM