I am thinking about getting a BlackBerry, but wonder if I will be able to send and receive text messages to my iPhone user friends and family?
    10-13-14 08:19 PM
    Yes. But you won't be able to send/receive text messages with iMessage, meaning that you won't have delivered/read notifications.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:22 PM
    Yes. Of course. The only problem one may encounter when migrating from an iPhone to any other phone is that you would need to turn off iMessage on your iPhone and iPad (if applicable). If you do not do this then any text messages sent to you will go through Apple servers first and then fail at the device because it isn't an Apple device. All phones can text to all other phones. Only Apple's iMessage has issues with other phones. You would need to turn off iMessage on all your devices before migrating.

Edit: Welcome to the dark side.
    10-13-14 08:25 PM
    sms text and any compatable 3rd party messaging app will fit the bill....
    10-13-14 08:26 PM
    Yes. But you won't be able to send/receive text messages with iMessage, meaning that you won't have delivered/read notifications.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, you do have delivered notifications if you are on the same network. My wife has an iphone 5s and we are on Verizon. I get the delivered notification whenever I text her. In answer to the OPs question, yes you can send and receive texts to and from I phones.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    10-13-14 08:40 PM
    Yes. Of course. The only problem one may encounter when migrating from an iPhone to any other phone is that you would need to turn off iMessage on your iPhone and iPad (if applicable). If you do not do this then any text messages sent to you will go through Apple servers first and then fail at the device because it isn't an Apple device. All phones can text to all other phones. Only Apple's iMessage has issues with other phones. You would need to turn off iMessage on all your devices before migrating.

Edit: Welcome to the dark side.
    I believe that I read here at some time that if he is coming from an Iphone, all of his contacts that are still on iphone will have to remove him from their imessage contacts.

10-13-14 08:44 PM
    I believe that I read here at some time that if he is coming from an Iphone, all of his contacts that are still on iphone will have to remove him from their imessage contacts.

This is the official Apple knowledge-base entry:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5185

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-13-14 09:05 PM
    The only issue I had was that my wife was not getting or sending group texts on her z30 . She received and sent them as individual messages, even though they were showing on her phone as having been sent within the group. I don't know if this is the ideal solution, but it worked- I set all her texting to send and receive in mms, not sms. If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear about it.
    10-14-14 09:11 AM
    The only issue I had was that my wife was not getting or sending group texts on her z30 . She received and sent them as individual messages, even though they were showing on her phone as having been sent within the group. I don't know if this is the ideal solution, but it worked- I set all her texting to send and receive in mms, not sms. If anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear about it.
    I think group messages are only supported by the MMS protocol.

Having said that, the real best solution is to use a more feature rich IM client like BBM or Whatsapp. SMS and MMS are extremely limited and aging protocols,.. I don't get why people that have smartphones insist on using it.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 09:59 AM
    The only issue I had was that my wife was not getting or sending group texts on her z30.
    My wife has the same issue on her Z10. This one bug is the one thing she really dislikes (dislike is not a strong enough word) about her BB10 phone. I posted a comment on icanmakeitbetter where I first saw this reported about 5 months ago so perhaps this has been addressed in the 10.3.* source tree (she is still on 10.2.1).

It really creates unnecessary headwinds for her and BlackBerry since her iPhone and Android friends can't understand why her "superior" messaging phone can't perform this "basic" function (the quotes are their emphasis). They have no trouble carrying on threaded group SMS text messages with each other and keeping the conversation together but when she sends replies to the group even though it goes to everyone it looks to them like it came to them individually. This generates a lot of unnecessary "I think you meant this for the group" or "was this for so and so?" messages.
    Last edited by MarkITDev; 10-14-14 at 12:47 PM.
    10-14-14 12:35 PM
    Having said that, the real best solution is to use a more feature rich IM client like BBM or Whatsapp. SMS and MMS are extremely limited and aging protocols,.. I don't get why people that have smartphones insist on using it.
    Simple because it is the one thing you know everyone has including people that may not be on smart phones. You can't always dictate that the people you are talking to are using the same chat client or get them to sign up for a new service even if it is free.

Many of the iOS users she chats with would rather she buy an iPhone (something my wife has threatened) than not use their preferred Messaging app. To some degree they have a point since it is after all her problem. The iOS and Droid phones are handling it properly.

Besides if it were that easy to get everyone to use your preferred messaging app then BBM would have the same userbase as WhatsApp.
    10-14-14 12:43 PM
    Simple because it is the one thing you know everyone has including people that may not be on smart phones. You can't always dictate that the people you are talking to are using the same chat client or get them to sign up for a new service even if it is free.

Many of the iOS users she chats with would rather she buy an iPhone (something my wife has threatened) than not use their preferred Messaging app. To some degree they have a point since it is after all her problem. The iOS and Droid phones are handling it properly.

Besides if it were that easy to get everyone to use your preferred messaging app then BBM would have the same userbase as WhatsApp.

I understand why it's happening, I don't understand why people keep letting it happen...

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 03:58 PM
    Choosing one best and new Apps from google store !
    Push text messages and links from PC to phone. Copy, send SMS, open links and maps right away!
    04-14-15 02:40 AM