I got a message this morning that all BB10 OS devices will no longer be supported on any Carrier network. Is there in any way something I can do to convert a BB OS phone to Android OS? Inside or out. I will frankenstein if i have to.
    08-13-21 03:33 PM
    nope....you need to upgrade
    08-13-21 03:39 PM
    Upgrade the device, that is.
    08-13-21 04:43 PM
    Just curious, who sent you that message?
    08-13-21 04:48 PM
    Just curious, who sent you that message?
    This was one of them from another member...

/blackberry-os-f298/doom-geddon-comes-koodo-1191560/
    08-13-21 05:44 PM
    That message seems weird. Good topic of discussion for that thread.

From what I am aware of, there is no current way for BB10 hardware to be loaded with Android, other than some sort of possible experimental attempt made by BlackBerry for the Passport, which didn't make it out.
    08-13-21 08:20 PM
    That message seems weird. Good topic of discussion for that thread.

From what I am aware of, there is no current way for BB10 hardware to be loaded with Android, other than some sort of possible experimental attempt made by BlackBerry for the Passport, which didn't make it out.
    In a development lab, all kinds of experiments get tried out. Before the PRIV, BB was considering releasing an Android version of the Passport (it had already been decided that BB10 was done), but Android apps were a really poor experience on the square screen, so they never moved forward. A couple of engineering devices, loaded with partially-working Android (without any OS optimizations or anything) were essentially stolen and sold online - though I believe BB contacted one buyer and threatened legal action (it was stolen property), and I think they exchanged his PP with a then-current BB Android device.

But those engineering devices were no where close to a "real" Android build, and it was something like Android 6 anyway. It was only partially functional, and had awful battery life per the guy who bought it and had it a short time. Anyway, that's as close as anyone has ever gotten to having Android OS on a BB10 phone.
    08-14-21 10:14 PM
    If you some how did have one of those engineering devices or somehow managed to get android on a BB10 wouldn't it still be limited to 3G?
    It is the software or the hardware that limits it to 3G or keeps it from running Volte?
    08-15-21 11:13 PM
    If you some how did have one of those engineering devices or somehow managed to get android on a BB10 wouldn't it still be limited to 3G?
    It is the software or the hardware that limits it to 3G or keeps it from running Volte?
    BB10 has LTE/4G.... what it doesn't have is the capability to do the newer version of VoLTE.... and I assume that as other devices that have seen updates as recently as a few years ago are also on the "blacklist" (or not on the whitelist anyway), it's a hardware thing with that early generation of LTE radios.

Time to move on...
    08-16-21 07:32 AM