5 years ago my Q10 died. I just moved on to a Z10 and all was well. However, in May 2014 my adult son suddenly died of cardiac sarcoidosis, leaving his wife and 3 year old son. The text messages and emails on the Q10 suddenly became very important. I searched for someone who could open it but failed. I sent it to Canada for some help, but all they said they could do was restore it which would destroy the messages I need. I then sought out companies that do chip extractions, and they could not help.

Before I give up and just toss the Q10 in the trash, is there anyone who might be able to retrieve the messages?

Finally, will the .BBB backup files contain the messages I am searching for? if so, what do I do if I cannot remember the password?

Thank you!
    11-15-18 09:24 AM
    5 years ago my Q10 died. I just moved on to a Z10 and all was well. However, in May 2014 my adult son suddenly died of cardiac sarcoidosis, leaving his wife and 3 year old son. The text messages and emails on the Q10 suddenly became very important. I searched for someone who could open it but failed. I sent it to Canada for some help, but all they said they could do was restore it which would destroy the messages I need. I then sought out companies that do chip extractions, and they could not help.

Before I give up and just toss the Q10 in the trash, is there anyone who might be able to retrieve the messages?

Finally, will the .BBB backup files contain the messages I am searching for? if so, what do I do if I cannot remember the password?

Thank you!
    The backup file is encrypted, so that's a no go.

Can you elaborate on "Q10 died" ?

What state is it in now?

Do you know the BBID of the device?
    11-15-18 10:14 AM

Thank you!
    +1 on conite's questions tmart. There are things that may be able to be done--don't toss that guy just yet!
    11-15-18 02:21 PM
    Thank you for replying! I charged the device overnight and when I try to turn it on, the LED light flashes yellow twice and then nothing happens. When I plug it into my PC the yellow LED lights for a moment, but the PC doesn't recognize it as connected. I think that I can locate my BBID if I try. Ideas?
    11-16-18 08:29 AM
    Thank you for replying! I charged the device overnight and when I try to turn it on, the LED light flashes yellow twice and then nothing happens. When I plug it into my PC the yellow LED lights for a moment, but the PC doesn't recognize it as connected. I think that I can locate my BBID if I try. Ideas?
    Your device is unlikely to be recovered without wiping it clean.

The other option you have is to acquire another BB10 device, set it up with the same BBID as your old Q10, and then restore your Q10 backup.
    11-16-18 08:57 AM
    I'll try it! I have that old Z10 to use.
    1 - what's the fastest way to learn my old BBID?
    2 - do I wipe the Z10?
    3 - how do I restore it as the Q10? BBLink? Desktop Software?

Thanks so much!!
    11-16-18 09:35 AM
    I'll try it! I have that old Z10 to use.
    1 - what's the fastest way to learn my old BBID?
    2 - do I wipe the Z10?
    3 - how do I restore it as the Q10? BBLink? Desktop Software?

Thanks so much!!
    Go online to: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/login

Try to remember your old BBID. Until you do, there is no point in doing anything with your Z10.

Report back for the next step.

Any chance you used the same one though? If so, log into BlackBerry Protect online and see if your Q10 is registered as a device.
    11-16-18 09:51 AM
    BB protect only lists my Z10. I have tried 9 times to log in to my Z10. Now i get a warning that my data will be lost if i fail on my 10 attempt. Yikes.
    11-16-18 10:15 AM
    Okay, so I've got 2 Z10s in addition to my bricked Q10. If I cannot remember my password (just failed on my 9th attempt), and I end up wiping a Z10, is my PC backup inaccessible?
    11-16-18 11:00 AM
    Okay, so I've got 2 Z10s in addition to my bricked Q10. If I cannot remember my password (just failed on my 9th attempt), and I end up wiping a Z10, is my PC backup inaccessible?
    Your device password is different from your bbid (which itself is comprised of a login and password). If you can't remember your device password, it will factory reset your device, after which it will still ask for your original bbid. If you cannot provide it it will remain a brick until you do.

Ultimately, you must know the bbid for each of your devices, and we can go from there.
    11-16-18 01:16 PM