Dear CrackBerry Kevin & fellow BlackBerry fans,

After 3 years with my KeyONE my charging port dried out. I live in the US, and use Verizon. I had to get a new phone. Of course bringing my KeyONE into the store, I looked like I was holding a baby unicorn. "OMG a BlackBerry". They don't sell them in store and when I asked about the Key2 the guy replied I wouldn't sell you a BlackBerry we've been hearing things about BlackBerry closing or discontinuing making phones due to the company not doing well.

I was shocked! I know BlackBerry has a strong presence in the corporate and business world, as well as security. Not to mention it's much more popular outside of the US. I mention this to him and he said it's just not selling like they expected it to. This of course was devastating. I had to leave with a Galaxy. I felt like a traitor and already miss my phone!

Is there any truth to what the VZ employee was saying about the future of the company?

And does BlackBerry make a Key2 for Verizon in the US?

#IWantMyBlackBerryBack!!
    03-04-20 07:44 AM
    BBMo (TCL) has announced an end to the current line of phones that they make using the BlackBerry name.... it's over for them. They are selling off the last of the hardware, and it looks like updates have ended.

BlackBerry has announced they are looking for new partners... don't hold your breath - as everything they are doing points to them shutting down their whole mobility division.

No a KEY2 was never made for Verizon.... but many have managed to get it working on Verizon. Just would need to buy an unlocked US varriant, and follow the steps outlined by many here to get it activated. That's if you can find one now...
    03-04-20 08:04 AM
    KEY2 LE is Verizon certified though.
    03-04-20 08:16 AM
    Yes, if you want to stay with VZW, then get a Key² LE. You'll need to get a Level 2 Tech support at Verizon to provision your LE's SIM as CDMA-less, and then it should work. (Verizon is getting rid of their CDMA network.)

There are many stories of people who did that, and then took that same provisioned SIM and put it in a Key2, and apparently it worked just fine. YMMV.

KEY2 LE is Verizon certified though.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    03-04-20 09:35 PM
    BBMo (TCL) has announced an end to the current line of phones that they make using the BlackBerry name.... it's over for them. They are selling off the last of the hardware, and it looks like updates have ended.

BlackBerry has announced they are looking for new partners... don't hold your breath - as everything they are doing points to them shutting down their whole mobility division.

No a KEY2 was never made for Verizon.... but many have managed to get it working on Verizon. Just would need to buy an unlocked US varriant, and follow the steps outlined by many here to get it activated. That's if you can find one now...
    03-05-20 12:21 AM
    03-05-20 08:32 AM
    Yes, if you want to stay with VZW, then get a Key² LE. You'll need to get a Level 2 Tech support at Verizon to provision your LE's SIM as CDMA-less, and then it should work. (Verizon is getting rid of their CDMA network.)

There are many stories of people who did that, and then took that same provisioned SIM and put it in a Key2, and apparently it worked just fine. YMMV.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    Unless it didn’t. I guesstimate it was successful 80-90% of time but in that remaining portion, most couldn’t ever reach success. It didn’t even require an LE to switch. Any LTE only certified VZW CDMALESS device seemed to do trick.
    03-05-20 08:33 AM
    Ah... you mean it doesn't necessarily have to be a BlackBerry/TCL branded phone to start out with - yes that makes sense- I hadn't thought of that. I suppose you could just start with a phone model that VZW already sells, like a Samsung or Pixel, get it working with a VZW SIM, then switch the SIM to a Key2. No guarantees, but it seems logical that it might work.
    Unless it didn’t. I guesstimate it was successful 80-90% of time but in that remaining portion, most couldn’t ever reach success. It didn’t even require an LE to switch. Any LTE only certified VZW CDMALESS device seemed to do trick.
    03-05-20 06:38 PM
    Ah... you mean it doesn't necessarily have to be a BlackBerry/TCL branded phone to start out with - yes that makes sense- I hadn't thought of that. I suppose you could just start with a phone model that VZW already sells, like a Samsung or Pixel, get it working with a VZW SIM, then switch the SIM to a Key2. No guarantees, but it seems logical that it might work.
    I believe that it will work, I even did this trick and I changed the SIM into the BlackBerry Classic that's not LTE and it worked, so if the key2 is LTE it should most probably work.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-20 11:57 PM