Hello
    I have been looking high and low for a simple phone with physical keys that can handle e-mail and maps. After days of searching I found a used 9780 that fits the bill perfectly.

However I have read that you need a special data subscription, BIS or something like that, in order to use the e-mail application. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I just have a standard data plan - but it seems that won't suffice?

Thanks in advance.
    06-20-17 04:02 AM
    Hello Have you considered a Q5 or Q10 or even maybe the Classic. You are better off in the long run and all 3 devices mentioned work perfectly via any data plan and or wifi. Good luck.
    06-20-17 06:47 AM
    Hello Rico

Thank you for your reply.

I have considered the newer models. However I actually want a phone that is not too fancy, because otherwise I'll waste too much time fiddling with it.

That's why it would be ideal with an older blackberry. However it seems that the reliance on BIS is a roadblock to using the old blackberry phones nowadays?

best regards
    06-20-17 09:22 AM
    Hello actually the models that I suggested are easier to set and running than a 9780. As 10OS is very efficient for emails with centralized seeing all your inboxes. Also you have a basically a FREE encyclopedia here at @CrackBerry on how and do. good luck!
    06-20-17 09:25 AM
    Hello
    I have been looking high and low for a simple phone with physical keys that can handle e-mail and maps. After days of searching I found a used 9780 that fits the bill perfectly.

However I have read that you need a special data subscription, BIS or something like that, in order to use the e-mail application. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I just have a standard data plan - but it seems that won't suffice?

Thanks in advance.
    To your initial question:
    Yes, legacy devices (before OS10) like the 9870 only with in combination with BIS.
    Just ask your carrier to activate it for you, it's not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-17 09:30 AM
    Hello

Thanks in advance.
    If you want to use a 9780.... you'll need BIS, and you have to check with your providers IF they still offer BIS plans and IF there is an extra cost (or savings). Just depends on your market. But it is a service that some carriers have started dropping and others will probably drop in the coming years.

There are some options without a BIS plan... https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

But you're putting time and money into something that is going away.
    06-20-17 10:08 AM