Hi, I've been building myself up to write this for a long time, because it's an important question and I really need advice from the best people.

My KEYone (black) has a completely damaged USB port, and since the battery is dead, there's no way to turn it on. I have bought a replacement port and found a set of instructions, however it's far too difficult for me to do myself.

I took it to a trusted electric repair shop, and they said it was too difficult for them to, for 2 reasons: heating up the top of the phone to remove the top edge of the casing, seemed impossible for them, and also the port needs lots of "micro" soldering anyway which they said is very difficult.
    The advice would be to take it to a regular phone repair shop/stall.

The problem is that the phone contains basically all my personal stuff... my whole life is on there!
    I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that a good phone repair guy would know how to (and usually wont be able to resist to) gain entry.

I'd like to know
    1. If anyone has any alternative ways to fix it myself (I'm guessing not)
    2.If the repair guy can definitely access this stuff... I'm wondering if theres some tiny chance someone will tell me that Blackberrys are impossible to get into without a password, or something like that. (Again, I'm guessing not... )

If not then I literally have to give away all my personal info to a stranger, or otherwise buy a new phone.

These are the kind of private things that are on the phone. Please let me know which of these can and can't be accessed.

- Shopping, Cloud Storage, etc apps that are logged in.
    - Social media and messaging apps that are logged in.
    - Pictures of a personal nature, adult and other
    - Pictures of a personal nature *stored in the locker app*.
    - Very sensitive information stored in a "notepad" app, including card number etc.
    - Some but not all sensitive Notepad notes were PIN protected within the app.
    - Any other general files etc (I may have forgotten some)

I use my fingerprint to get into the phone, although in my mind, these guys can just plug your phone in like a hard drive and get everything from it.

Please can someone knowledgable offer some realistic advice, that may save me buying a new phone all together?

Thank you
    Last edited by pkcable; 09-26-19 at 09:58 AM.
    09-25-19 01:29 PM
    If you can't take it to a phone repair shop that can easily take care of the port, have someone replace the battery in order to power it on again to back up your data, then purchase a new phone.
    If it's a BlackBerry Q10, you could purchase an OEM battery charger bundle. It comes with an external charger and extra battery. Just pop in a charged battery and you're good to go - no need to use the USB charging port on the phone at all.
    09-25-19 01:38 PM
    OP here - sorry I meant to say KeyOne , not Q10.
    09-25-19 01:47 PM
    Sorry I've been trying to edit and reply to this but it's proving very difficult with the moderation and account creating etc.
    It's a KEYONE not a Q10, my apologies
    09-25-19 01:50 PM
    Helloo? Is anyone there?

I'm sure someone here is able to answer this question... over 100 reads and no answers?
    09-26-19 08:43 AM
    If you can't take it to a phone repair shop that can easily take care of the port, have someone replace the battery in order to power it on again to back up your data, then purchase a new phone.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-26-19 10:17 AM
    Helloo? Is anyone there?

I'm sure someone here is able to answer this question... over 100 reads and no answers?
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!! Post early and post often.....

You’ve got two answers yesterday and one repeat today from yesterday. The repeat answer pretty much says it all so I’m not sure what anybody else can add unfortunately.
    09-26-19 12:12 PM
    Hello, I just got lots of replies at once.

I may not have explained myself well...

It was a normal electrical item repair shop that was not able to get into the phone to replace the usb port. He recommended taking it to a normal PHONE repair shop.

My question is regarding what kind of access the repair man will have to my blackberry files.

Is there some kind of special BB encryption or anything that means that he literally cant access anything?

Are password/fingerprints enough to keep him out once he gets the phone powered up?
    Or can he just plug it in to a computer and get data?

As mentioned the things of concern are:

- Shopping, Cloud Storage, etc apps that are logged in.
    - Social media and messaging apps that are logged in.
    - Pictures of a personal nature, adult and other
    - Pictures of a personal nature *stored in the locker app*.
    - Very sensitive information stored in a "notepad" app, including card number etc.
    - Some but not all sensitive Notepad notes were PIN protected within the app.
    - Any other general files etc (I may have forgotten some)

So basically I'm wondering how possible it is for a repair man to get into all of these things, and is there a way around it.
    (Hoping someone round here know a bit about BB security side of things)

Thank you!
    09-26-19 12:48 PM
    Mod: The title has been changed, but the question is wrong!!
    Please re read the original message again folks.
    My problem isn't how to fix the USB - It's how much of the informaton listed above can be accessed by the repair guy. Thumbnails, "locker" app,, etc etc! It's more of a security question.
    Ideas for how else to sort the USB port is a secondary question.
    09-26-19 12:55 PM
    Mod: The title has been changed, but the question is wrong!!
    Please re read the original message again folks.
    My problem isn't how to fix the USB - It's how much of the informaton listed above can be accessed by the repair guy. Thumbnails, "locker" app,, etc etc! It's more of a security question.
    Ideas for how else to sort the USB port is a secondary question.
    If your phone is dead and you have password login, should be ok for the repair without phone access needed. How you set phone up as part of boot up process would determine what can or can’t be done.
    Barack Kerry 2 likes this.
    09-26-19 05:27 PM
    Mods: many thanks for changing title

I understand that phone access might not be required, but as I said in my first post, in my mind phone repair guy would more than likely try and gain access to the phone just because he can. You know what I mean?

Regarding boot process.. I dont really know, not sure what you actually mean, but I didn't change anything. Just left it as BB default (unless I'm missing what you're saying).
    But this is the key bit I need to know really. If I can determine which of the things I listed can and can't be accessed, I can make a decision which is worth the value of a new phone, so it's quite important for me to try and get some more details, rather than vague replies (that's not aimed at anybody).

So can you please expand on what kind of things can be accessed, and how I would know?
    I'm sure there's a more straight forward answer out there.

Eg... is everything encrypted in a way that can't be recovered easily by a tech guy?

This is the kind of stuff I need to know.

Thanks!
    09-27-19 10:49 AM
    Mods: many thanks for changing title

I understand that phone access might not be required, but as I said in my first post, in my mind phone repair guy would more than likely try and gain access to the phone just because he can. You know what I mean?

Regarding boot process.. I dont really know, not sure what you actually mean, but I didn't change anything. Just left it as BB default (unless I'm missing what you're saying).
    But this is the key bit I need to know really. If I can determine which of the things I listed can and can't be accessed, I can make a decision which is worth the value of a new phone, so it's quite important for me to try and get some more details, rather than vague replies (that's not aimed at anybody).

So can you please expand on what kind of things can be accessed, and how I would know?
    I'm sure there's a more straight forward answer out there.

Eg... is everything encrypted in a way that can't be recovered easily by a tech guy?

This is the kind of stuff I need to know.

Thanks!
    As an IT professional, who has worked on other people's personal PCs and phones, I can assure you that I always avoid looking in to people's personal files, documents and pictures. If I do accidentally see something it is quickly forgotten and never mentioned to the person. I take my client's privacy VERY seriously.
    Mecca EL and Barack Kerry 2 like this.
    09-30-19 10:54 AM
    You must have some very embarrassing photos stored on there, hahaha.
    09-30-19 10:58 AM
    Book an appointment as if you are going to the dentist. You may have to pay for replacement parts beforehand...or discuss the fee beforehand...ask about that. Then stay with your phone during the repair. Just make sure there are no other devices on the repair table except an elecctrical outlet or a power bank for recharging your device. Of course there will be heat-guns miniture screwdrivers and other assorted repair items. If they refuse, find someone that will. I wouldn't leave my phone with anyone sight unseen, ever.
    09-30-19 03:52 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

Book an appointment as if you are going to the dentist. You may have to pay for replacement parts beforehand...or discuss the fee beforehand...ask about that. Then stay with your phone during the repair. Just make sure there are no other devices on the repair table except an elecctrical outlet or a power bank for recharging your device. Of course there will be heat-guns miniture screwdrivers and other assorted repair items. If they refuse, find someone that will. I wouldn't leave my phone with anyone sight unseen, ever.
    I have got the replacement part but for some reason I can't imagine any repair shops letting me hang around with them. They always say "yeah bring it down" then when you're there, it's "leave it with me and ill give you a call". Plus, I imagine they will definitely tell me they've never had to open a KeyONE before, and they'll probably have to spend some time figuring it out.

A market stall that was recommended to me, is a mini desk with literally no repair stuff around, just a few phone cases for sale, I think he takes the phones somewhere else to fix, maybe home. The other shop near me is a general phone shop with a repair room in the back (and they look pervy).

You must have some very embarrassing photos stored on there, hahaha.
    Yeah, it's not so much embarrassing as personal. I'm sure many others wouldn't want pictures of them and their other half being out in public. But, I can sort of man up and deal with that.
    More so than pictures, it's notes made in a notepad app.
    Some PIN-protected notes were things like passwords, bank related details,
    list of orphanages I planned to burn down, and just my whole personal life basically.

That's why I hoped someone knows what can be accessed, or if even anything can be accessed without having the phone's PIN.

If I came across a bit desperate it's because the answer makes the difference between spending hundreds of pounds on a new phone or not, and I need to make that decision quite soon.

Also, unfortunately, I'm not sure everyone is as respectful of privacy as the IT professional gentleman above, but it's good to know people like you exist.

Thanks
    10-21-19 11:32 AM