I bought a new battery for my Bold9900. I inserted the battery and plugged it in to charge. When I tried to turn the device on I got a red notification light for a few seconds and then the screen is showing a battery symbol with a red 'x' in it.

What does this mean
    04-11-19 09:47 AM
    Not sure there is such a thing as a "new" battery for a 9900.

I'd put it on to charge overnight... if that doesn't work, you'll need to return it.

I assume the phone was working OK before...
    04-11-19 01:39 PM
    besides, there are many fake BB battery from Asia - BB battery got some smarts in it for power mgr. if overnight charge not work, return it would be the best course (assume your phone has no problem to start with). Fake battery was part of the reason BB went for non-replacable battery for Z30 and after.
    04-11-19 03:59 PM
    Definitely sounds like a generic battery. I bought one for the 9700 media streamer and it didn't work. Seller didn't even want to issue a refund, claiming I was committing fraud. Lol

Note the battery model number, and forget the odd ones. The black and white ones are your best bet.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    04-15-19 08:22 PM
    Red X could mean a fake battery, a used and dead battery, and also a new and unused for too long that it is completely depleted and won't take in any juice anymore.

If you have a external charging sleeve for JM1 battery, it may be worth to try charging the battery with that but use a higher power charger, something that would give 1.8A output or higher. Leave it on for a while.
    Try search for how to jump start a battery as well.

And next time, go to the Bold 9900 forum for anything relate to your Blackberry OS. Plenty of enthusiasts there.
    04-16-19 08:05 AM
    OP, I ordered 2 batteries from amazon for bold, works fine (about 1.5 years ago). https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008CLJV2W/...UvbUpU13376981
    04-16-19 03:59 PM
    I bought a new battery for my Bold9900
    You bought NOS (new old stock) at best. Rechargeable batteries that sit on the shelf eventually die when a cell hits zero volts and flips polarity from positive to negative, or vice-versa.

Even buying authentic BlackBerry batteries in a sealed retail package is a coin flip due to their age. You need to buy a few and go with the best one.
    04-16-19 04:20 PM