With Blend gone to the wind, what's the chance that Blackberry could develop Blend concepts into the hub pack of services? Think of it, hub running on a PC providing access to emails, bbms, sms, calendar, password keeper, etc... synced from another hub instance off a phone. Better yet, hub on a phone synced with hub on a tablet, providing access to the phone's sms and all those other things onto the tablet. That all certainly seems possible to me. Heck, most of the heavy lifting from Blend could probably be re-used as a base. Any thoughts on if there would be a market for something like that? Maybe also if they put it out for both Android and iPhone for cross platform cross phone/tablet use. Getting sms from an iPhone onto an Android tablet would be kind of interesting. Hey, maybe they could even put iMessage into the hub as part of that.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    Last edited by spARTacus; 02-13-17 at 09:31 PM.
    02-13-17 09:21 PM
    I'm sure there is a market for Blend - there are many of us on the forums bemoaning the lack of a true substitute, myself included. Nothing available offers everything Blend did.

The biggest problem I see is that we're a very small subsection of the user base since BB10 never took off like it was hoped - and a small subsection of BB10 users used Blend at all.
    02-13-17 09:34 PM
    I'm sure there is a market for Blend - there are many of us on the forums bemoaning the lack of a true substitute, myself included. Nothing available offers everything Blend did.

The biggest problem I see is that we're a very small subsection of the user base since BB10 never took off like it was hoped - and a small subsection of BB10 users used Blend at all.
    There definitely is. When Pushbullet decided to become a paid app, it made some headlines in the tech world. It left the door open for other apps that are free to move into its spot, such as AirDroid (free and paid), ShareIt by Lenovo, and Pushline. I'd love another proprietary desktop manager a la Blend, provided by the manufacturer, instead of the aforementioned options which are 3rd party.
    02-14-17 01:09 AM
    Money.....

How much are they making on Suite of apps as it is? Many here are using Cobalt's manager to bypass the fees, or they own a BlackBerry.

How much will they make licensing the brand? A portion of monies collected for this would be earmarked for app development. But I doubt they'll make much, unless sales in the MILLIONS start taking place.

While I loved Blend... just not sure BlackBerry can afford it right now.

My fear is we might see Chen cutting development soon.... not expanding it. He has to balance cost with revenues.
    02-14-17 10:52 AM
    Interesting feedback. My initial interest was more about cross sharing things like sms messages from a phone to a tablet. There are some android apps that try to do that but I haven't found one that works very well. With a hub app installed on a phone and a tablet (or a computer), there is no reason why the the hub on the phone couldn't synchronize all of its account messages onto the tablet fairly easily, without actually having those accounts on the tablet. Apple products do this now I think with iMessaging and sms messages duplicated to iPads from the iPhones. It would be very easy I would think for Blackberry to accomplish the same thing with hub now generally available for so many different android devices, other than the fact that they haven't seemed to ever want a user to use the same BlackberryID on more than one device simultaneously (for presumably security reasons).

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    02-14-17 06:54 PM
    There is a developer working on a substitute. It is in preliminary beta presently.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 08:46 PM