Even though I owned a Keyone last year (and will probably get the Key2 when avaulable) I'm still pretty new to BlackBerry. I know very little about security/privacy on mobile phones, but know that in today's age of tech is REALLY important. That said, can someone explain to me why Berries are more secure than other phones?

I'm asking cause I'd really like to know (cause I don't).
    06-11-18 12:12 PM
    This is a slide from the KEY2 launch event:

Are Blackberrys really more secure?-photo_2018-06-11_12-57-18.jpg

How much of it is unique and how much of it is snake oil is uncertain, though. Consider this Priv CPU swap (which doesn't appear to break hardware root of trust), or questions as to how effective BB's additions really are.
    zephyr613 and Byrese like this.
    06-11-18 01:01 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2018-06-11_12-57-18.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	436835

How much of it is unique and how much of it is snake oil is uncertain, though. Consider this Priv CPU swap (which doesn't appear to break hardware root of trust), or questions as to how effective BB's additions really are.
    RAM swap. The SoC underneath it was untouched. But yes you're still correct that it's snake oil.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-11-18 01:25 PM
    RAM swap. The SoC underneath it was untouched. But yes you're still correct that it's snake oil.
    Mmmmmm, snake oil........ Great for marinating Gator meat.....
    06-11-18 02:26 PM
    OP.... really depends on what you are wanting to "secure", and what phones you are comparing it against. BLU $50 phone, much more secure, Samsung S9 with KNOX... hardly a difference.

For the most part, Voice, Text all work the same as does the data. Biggest thing in Android Security is Google's own Google Play Protect that works all the time on your phone.

My view, biggest thing in Android Security is updates... My Samsung S7 running on Verizon has gotten all but three montly updated in the last 10 months I've had it, and it's running OREO.

Will say the updated Locker functions sound pretty good, but we will have to see them in operation.... and that's more a TCL innovation.
    06-11-18 02:33 PM
    you're still correct that it's snake oil.
    And how are you so certain?

Thurber, a VP of a publicly traded company, just reiterated the unique security enhancements, in public, during the KEY² launch.

Although I don't have the technical chops to personally make a security assessment of the device, I can't deny that some of this stuff actually exists. Integrity Detection, a locked bootloader, and kernel hardening just by themselves is not trivial.
    Last edited by conite; 06-11-18 at 02:52 PM.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-11-18 02:39 PM
    The kernel hardening is the heart of BlackBerry security. Every device has an individuell key implantated in the processor. So no malware can be installed on it. And Dtek is a real good working security feature. Minimum 1 time a week I have a look, what all the apps have done... and some apps had to leave my device !
    06-11-18 03:14 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2018-06-11_12-57-18.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	436835

Very very old article. They talk about BlackBerry Priv with Android 5 on it. But it has been updated to android 6.01 a long time ago...
    06-11-18 03:19 PM
    Very very old article. They talk about BlackBerry Priv with Android 5 on it. But it has been updated to android 6.01 a long time ago...
    The point of the article was that BB's additions to Android might just be immaterial fluff with the appearance of security, but you're right, keeping the OS up to date is good for keeping things secure. Good thing the KEYone has Oreo.

Oh wait.
    06-11-18 03:29 PM
    And how are you so certain?

Thurber, a VP of a publicly traded company, just reiterated the unique security enhancements, in public, during the KEY² launch.

Although I don't have the technical chops to personally make a security assessment of the device, I can't deny that some of this stuff actually exists. Integrity Detection, a locked bootloader, and kernel hardening just by themselves is not trivial.
    I knew you would reply. Ask @thurask.
    06-11-18 03:37 PM
    The kernel hardening is the heart of BlackBerry security. Every device has an individuell key implantated in the processor. So no malware can be installed on it. And Dtek is a real good working security feature. Minimum 1 time a week I have a look, what all the apps have done... and some apps had to leave my device !
    BlackBerry made a big thing about that with the PRIV...

Problem is Google offered a harden kernel for use with Lolipop - did BlackBerry use Google's Harden Kernel or reinvent their own? My guess is it's Google's..

Fastforward to 2017... and they no longer give OEM an option, they must use the hardened kernel.

Processor Key's... Google and Qualcomm worked those out, long before BlackBerry. Maybe there is something special in BlackBerry's implementation, but do you really believe TCL is ordering custom chips in small batches for their BBMo phone?

If no Malware can be installed... why all the security patches? They doing that just for the fun of it? Your only as secure as the latest patch....

What most want to see is an updated whitepaper from BlackBerry that better describes the improvements that they have made above OREO (soon Android P).

I would not call it "snake oil" but being that here in the US Samsung is Android and their KNOX implementation is pretty much word for word on the Hardware and Firmware features...
    06-11-18 03:46 PM
    BlackBerry made a big thing about that with the PRIV...

Problem is Google offered a harden kernel for use with Lolipop - did BlackBerry use Google's Harden Kernel or reinvent their own? My guess is it's Google's..

Fastforward to 2017... and they no longer give OEM an option, they must use the hardened kernel.

Processor Key's... Google and Qualcomm worked those out, long before BlackBerry. Maybe there is something special in BlackBerry's implementation, but do you really believe TCL is ordering custom chips in small batches for their BBMo phone?

If no Malware can be installed... why all the security patches? They doing that just for the fun of it? Your only as secure as the latest patch....

What most want to see is an updated whitepaper from BlackBerry that better describes the improvements that they have made above OREO (soon Android P).

I would not call it "snake oil" but being that here in the US Samsung is Android and their KNOX implementation is pretty much word for word on the Hardware and Firmware features...
    Maybe you are right. We will never know. But one thing is sure: The NSA and Five Eyes have infiltrated all big companies in data business. The technical side is secondary. BlackBerry and its licencies make a good job in security as others, too, maybe (!) better. But the problem is a political problem.
    06-11-18 04:19 PM
    I knew you would reply. Ask @thurask.
    He said "might" , and you said "is".

There are 3 scenarios:

1- stuff is real and is as effective as BlackBerry claims.

2- stuff is real, but is not as effective as BlackBerry claims.

3- stuff is not real, and everything BlackBerry says is an outright lie.

For the record, I'm probably a 1.3 on the scale. I don't believe every corporate marketing gibberish I hear, but I'm far from calling them out as hoaxsters either. I would say the same about Samsung Knox.
    Last edited by conite; 06-11-18 at 04:58 PM.
    06-11-18 04:25 PM
    Wow. This got serious. My gator sandwich is only half eaten.
    06-11-18 11:12 PM
    06-12-18 02:16 AM