BlackBerry's fault was to allow Android apps to run on bb10. They should have made it the other way around, allowing bb10 apps to run on Android, ios and maybe even windows and Mac OS x.
    There are two arguments for that: First of all, what motivation has a developer to program apps for bb10? If he writes one, it will only be able to target bb10, but if he writes android apps, it will run not only on android(which has a large user base) but also on bb10.
    The second argument is also very simple: Android apps on bb10 will not feel like native apps.
    Remember os/2? They made the same fault, they allowed windows programs on their platform.

I think I am one of the guys which will buy the Priv. But not because of the OS, but to support BlackBerry getting more market share. I am currently checking out firefoxOS, Windows 10, Ubuntu Phone and Sailfish, but none of them is really an alternative.

BlackBerry, what else?
    11-03-15 01:58 PM
    You cant just "allow" your apps to run on iOS and Android, you specifically have to code them based on the ecosystem's source code. Android apps don't work on BB10's source...to achieve what they did they created an Android Emulator within the OS.
    11-03-15 02:04 PM
    BB10 apps on iOS, Windows and Android won't feel 'native' either, as they won't be. Like the dude before me said, you can't just create an app for every OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 02:07 PM
    Yes, you can. Look at Qt. They have done it right. An app made with Qt works, if you are carefully, on Windows, Mac OS X, Android, ios, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10. You only need to recompile it, which is a task of a few minutes.

BlackBerry, what else?
    11-03-15 02:08 PM
    Developers now have tools that allow them to build once and compile their apps to whatever platform they want.

The problem "was" that most developers didn't WANT to send their Apps to the BlackBerry platform. As it was a different platform that would require resources and time to support.

I do agree it would have been great if BB10 didn't have the Android Runtime, and all apps were native!
    11-03-15 02:10 PM
    How does running BlackBerry apps on other platform help BlackBerry sell more phones???

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 02:12 PM
    Why bother trying to run a Qt app on your iOS or Android device when there is an app catalog full of highly capable native, efficient, apps to choose from for each platform. Cross-platform apps are kind of like web apps - full of compromises.

More importantly, why bother even having a BlackBerry if you can run BlackBerry apps on whatever device you like? That would kill the demand for all non-keyboard BlackBerry devices which kind of already has happened.
    You don't just "recompile" apps. You have to tailor the app to the ecosystem. Some of the underlying source may be transferable, but
    there are customizations to go through.