Hello,
    We are having an issue where a Z30 that has synced fine for years has stopped syncing. Blackberry Link now gives an error of "Failed to prepare device." when trying to get the contacts and calendar to sync with Outlook. The process has been tested on Windows 7 machines and works without issue but for some reason it does not work on any Windows XP machine that it is tested on. Does anyone have any reason that this could be happening?

Thank you.
    04-12-17 09:30 AM
    I suggest you do a search here.....

If you have iTunes install that might be an issue.
    If you don't have SP3 installed that might be an issue.

Know LINK hasn't been updated, and XP doesn't get updates.... what version of Outlook are you using?
    04-12-17 09:39 AM
    Hey Thanks for the response and the help.

The version that we're running is 2007. It's weird that this has all of a sudden started happening. The only real changes to the ecosystem have been updates to the Z30 itself.

I have tried 3 different Windows XP machines and updating the version of link to the latest version. None of this has fixed the issue. When I tried it on Windows 7 it was able to get past the point where it would have failed giving the message of "Failed to configure device." and do an actual sync with Outlook.

I'm not really sure what is going on.

Thanks again.
    04-12-17 10:19 AM
    It's possible that any updates to the Z30 are using an updated security protocol list beyond what XP can support. It's also possible that the Outlook sync feature has been changed on the phone side as well: it was a left over feature from back in the POP email days so with even free email services offering much more modern email types, the feature may have been killed.

As dunt dunt dunt said as well: XP is now several years past its end of life, and Office 2007 will also be EOL later this year. The less you have that computer touching the Internet the better.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-17 06:20 AM
    You can sync Outlook 2007 to your Z30 through Outlook.com. It provides automatic backup and two way sync and is a much better way to sync than using Link.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...AAA=2010,_2007
    04-14-17 04:36 PM
    Not looking to sync with cloud services. In fact, that's the entire point of Blackberry Link.

Thanks for the advice though.

Anyone have any idea why this is not working?
    04-17-17 11:37 AM
    ... Anyone have any idea why this is not working?
    Link is out of date and is never going to be updated. Something in your system has changed. ITunes is just one example of a possible conflict.
    04-17-17 02:53 PM
    Not looking to sync with cloud services. In fact, that's the entire point of Blackberry Link.

Thanks for the advice though.

Anyone have any idea why this is not working?
    Conflicts - complexity - outdatedness.

Sorry but as I suggested... YOU need to take the time to do some searches and see what others have run into over the last four years.

Or I would suggest that you reinstall a clean version of Windows, reinstall a clean version of Office 2007 (no updates other than SP you know where working) and then reinstall the latest version of LINK. If it all works... live with it just as it is. Don't install any other programs.

But I don't get the whole, don't trust the "cloud" but I'll run a desktop environment that no longer gets monthly security patches.
    04-17-17 03:05 PM
    Conflicts - complexity - outdatedness.

Sorry but as I suggested... YOU need to take the time to do some searches and see what others have run into over the last four years.

Or I would suggest that you reinstall a clean version of Windows, reinstall a clean version of Office 2007 (no updates other than SP you know where working) and then reinstall the latest version of LINK. If it all works... live with it just as it is. Don't install any other programs.

But I don't get the whole, don't trust the "cloud" but I'll run a desktop environment that no longer gets monthly security patches.
    Well apparently no one here knows so I'll figure something else out.

Also, this is billed as a forum to ask questions and get support. Don't make a forum called "Get directions here" and when someone asks you how to get to Dairy Queen you tell em to use a map.

smh

I was hoping to get some educated responses along the line of "Patch 10.2.xxx changed the security protocol from version 1.w/e to 3.goodstuff."

If you don't know just say "I don't know" don't tell me I'm being obtuse for asking questions in the "ask a question" thread.

As to the point of not trusting the cloud but running XP you have no idea what environment it's operating in and as such aren't educated enough to speak to it. The cloud is just someone else's machine. I should hope you know that. Hey, my machine is someone else's machine to you. Why not just upload all your stuffs to me? I'll give you the IP address and everything. I'll inoculate it in its own little VM and I'll never look at it. I promise. I'm a good guy. You know me.
    04-17-17 03:21 PM

Also, this is billed as a forum to ask questions and get support. Don't make a forum called "Get directions here" and when someone asks you how to get to Dairy Queen you tell em to use a map.

smh

I was hoping to get some educated responses along the line of "Patch 10.2.xxx changed the security protocol from version 1.w/e to 3.goodstuff."

If you don't know just say "I don't know" don't tell me I'm being obtuse for asking questions in the "ask a question" thread.

As to the point of not trusting the cloud but running XP you have no idea what environment it's operating in and as such aren't educated enough to speak to it. The cloud is just someone else's machine. I should hope you know that. Hey, my machine is someone else's machine to you. Why not just upload all your stuffs to me? I'll give you the IP address and everything. I'll inoculate it in its own little VM and I'll never look at it. I promise. I'm a good guy. You know me.
    As already pointed out you are trying to connect two unsupported products. If you had this working recently something has changed in your environment. No updates have come out for Link or Windows XP as both are unsupported.

Others have mentioned some of the issues found and resolved with Link. The big issue being with iTunes.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-17-17 03:54 PM

What we know is that Link is essentially history at this point for most people. There is no universal "just do this to fix it" solution, and once it breaks, the chance of finding a fix is not very good.

If you want to read about it, here are some the discussion threads from the last six months or so. Good luck.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-link-1085973/

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...-10-a-1088032/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rking-1103332/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rking-1101828/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rking-1105045/
    04-17-17 09:49 PM
    I have just installed link on a win XP virtual machine. I can connect my classic to it without any troubles.
    If I can not replicate your problem I can not help you. I do not own, yet, a Z30, only Q10, Classic and passport, both the original and silver edition.
    04-18-17 02:22 PM
    I have just installed link on a win XP virtual machine. I can connect my classic to it without any troubles.
    If I can not replicate your problem I can not help you. I do not own, yet, a Z30, only Q10, Classic and passport, both the original and silver edition.
    Just wondering what OS are you running on your Classic?
    04-18-17 02:47 PM