Why can't BlackBerry just make a budget smartphone? Maybe a $200 phone?
    Why can't BlackBerry start small and see where that will take them? I mean it's not that they can't..

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 10:45 AM
    The market is full of these phones already. It would be impossible to differentiate themselves from the crowd.
    01-13-17 11:10 AM
    Economics....

Yes BlackBerry could just start all over in one market (can't do globally "small"). But what would allows them to stand out against all the other $200 phones? How would they compete against all the HUGE OEM's that have resources to build Cheaper, that have Flagship phones to help sell the lower end phones?

BlackBerry got where they are because of BIS and the instant email and great battery life, for consumers. Enterprise wanted those too, but also BlackBerry had a GREAT EMM solution. Today all they have is this privacy or security stuff that NEVER was what made them big before. Sadly there just really isn't anything "special" about BlackBerry, and there is too much competition on the low end and really no profits.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    01-13-17 11:13 AM
    From what I've learnt and observed many Africans love BlackBerry but the problem according to them is that they are overpriced..
    The BlackBerry brand is say "eye-catching" but BlackBerry devices are too much for their wallets

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.2876

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 11:14 AM
    So mid to high end devices is the best strategy??

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 11:17 AM
    From what I've learnt and observed many Africans love BlackBerry but the problem according to them is that they are overpriced..
    The BlackBerry brand is say "eye-catching" but BlackBerry devices are too much for their wallets

Z10STL100-1/10.3.2.2876

Posted via CB10
    Did they ever love the BB10 devices? Or was it just the older BBOS phones?

Anyway the strategy is to get out of the hardware business and for now licenses the brand to a few Android makers.... see if they can do what BlackBerry and MANY others have not been about to do - make money selling smartphones.

TCL has the rights for most of the world, but will have to see if they have any plans to sell in African markets.
    01-13-17 11:42 AM
    The DTEK50 is already here, so maybe they are..

A carrier here MTN priced the Priv to be R18000 which is about $1335 through conversion, so we have it bad here..

If only BlackBerry would just lessen the pricing to accommodate some of us

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 11:58 AM
    The DTEK50 is already here, so maybe they are..

A carrier here MTN priced the Priv to be R18000 which is about $1335 through conversion, so we have it bad here..

If only BlackBerry would just lessen the pricing to accommodate some of us

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is no longer making phones. They have licensed the BlackBerry name to two companies to sell phones under the name as BlackBerry. One company TCL will be creating Android phones based on a version of Android updated by BlackBerry. TCL has the exclusive right to use the BlackBerry name in several markets including NA and Europe and a few other regions - but not world wide.

Mera Putih in Indonesia will producing low cost phones for the Indonesian market.

I do not believe any company has signed deals for India, Africa and a few other regions.

BlackBerry is leaving the phone business. They will no long manufacture, distribute, market, sell or support any new devices.
    01-13-17 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry lack of sense how to market own devices is legendary. Priv for 700 dol 2 yrs back?. They should price dtek50 for 250, dtek60 for 299, mercury 299, and get the market back, over flow it with own devices like samsung, lg. Android got the market thnx to cheap phones and masses sales

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 07:12 PM
    So if I'm hearing you correctly, you say TCL probably has no plans of bringing it's BlackBerry devices in Africa right?
    But the DTEK50 is already here

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 03:28 AM