Coming back from iPhone, I bought a brand new Classic.
    I entered my (BB-Id that I used on Apple for BBM) and set it up, but when I got to and got to setting BBM I got the "usual" Blackberry ID already assosicated on another device message.

So I went ahead and deleted BB ID on Apple. This is when the trouble started. I wanted to re-ID my Classic, but in order for that I needed to enter a correct password. Since the account was wiped, no password was taken.

So I went ahead and recreated a BB account with the same eMail address and gave it a password. All should work right? No.

Now when I enter my (correct) password, the attepmts counter no longer counts up, but clicking on the button "VERIFY" won't do anything.

I think I traced it down to a screen name difference. Unfortunately when I recreated BB ID, a new screen name was automatically assigned to my account (my old screen name plus some numbers).

So here I am trying to change my screen name online on Blackberry Protect and it won't let me. I can't edit my BB ID info. I'm getting an error message: "internal error has occured. Please try again".

What to do now?

I can sign in with my Blackberry ID online, I can online change my password, but when I try to type in the password on the phone, then I'm getting hung up on the verify screen.

Needless to say, I can't wipe the phone, because wiping requires also BB ID with password (which I correctly input), but then pressing VERIFY just does not do anything.

I think I need to find a way to input my old screen name in Blackberry Protect Online, but it won't take it. Also Blackberry Protect says my phone is not associated with Blackberry Protect, yet on my phone it is turned on.

What can I do now?
    Last edited by WES51; 04-01-18 at 06:49 PM.
    04-01-18 06:24 PM
    Coming back from iPhone, I bought a brand new Classic.
    I entered my (BB-Id that I used on Apple for BBM) and set it up, but when I got to and got to setting BBM I got the "usual" Blackberry ID already assosicated on another device message.

So I went ahead and deleted BB ID on Apple. This is when the trouble started. I wanted to re-ID my Classic, but in order for that I needed to enter a correct password. Since the account was wiped, no password was taken.

So I went ahead and recreated a BB account with the same eMail address and gave it a password. All should work right? No.

Now when I enter my (correct) password, the attepmts counter no longer counts up, but clicking on the button "VERIFY" won't do anything.

I think I traced it down to a screen name difference. Unfortunately when I recreated BB ID, a new screen name was automatically assigned to my account (my old screen name plus some numbers).

So here I am trying to change my screen name online on Blackberry Protect and it won't let me. I can't edit my BB ID info. I'm getting an error message: "internal error has occured. Please try again".

What to do now?

I can sign in with my Blackberry ID online, I can online change my password, but when I try to type in the password on the phone, then I'm getting hung up on the verify screen.

Needless to say, I can't wipe the phone, because wiping requires also BB ID with password (which I correctly input), but then pressing VERIFY just does not do anything.

I think I need to find a way to input my old screen name in Blackberry Protect Online, but it won't take it. Also Blackberry Protect says my phone is not associated with Blackberry Protect, yet on my phone it is turned on.

What can I do now?
    Sorry. You have a new brick.

You will not be able to proceed without your original BBID - which no longer exists.
    04-01-18 07:05 PM
    Sorry. You have a new brick.

You will not be able to proceed without your original BBID - which no longer exists.
    So again, I managed to recreate A BBID with the SAME eMail address and password, BUT slightly different screen name.

So is there some way to change my screen name back to the old screen name? Perhaps via contacting Blackberry?

So far all looks the same except the screen name.
    04-01-18 07:10 PM
    So again, I managed to recreate A BBID with the SAME eMail address and password, BUT slightly different screen name.

So is there some way to change my screen name back to the old screen name? Perhaps via contacting Blackberry?

So far all looks the same except the screen name.
    It doesn't matter what you do now. The original account was deleted. Even if you make a new one with the identical credentials, it's still considered a "new" BBID.
    04-01-18 07:17 PM
    It doesn't matter what you do now. The original account was deleted. Even if you make a new one with the identical credentials, it's still considered a "new" BBID.
    Bad news, but thanks for getting back to me quickly. Better to know now.
    04-01-18 07:19 PM
    BlackBerry support should be able to help users with this issue....

Problem is the phone is out of warranty and BlackBerry is out of the device business... getting them to help you at this point would be a long shot. But if you try, you'll need to be the original owner and have proof of purchase...
    04-02-18 08:07 AM
    Yes, that is the way I see it as well.

I do have proof of purchase AND I have the correct original password.

The way I see it, the issue is that the Blachberry Protection somehow got turned on. I don't know how it got turned on, I sure don't remember turning it on when I set up the phone (I'm no fan of such things and never use it for exactly this type of reasons). So Blackberry Protection is what now keeps me wiping this phone.

Anyhow what I'm wondering is if I can turn OFF Blackberry Protection while the phone is offline (e.g. airplane mode). Currently I can't turn it off becasue it checks online for the BBID, which I have deleted (and reinstalled with the same eMail address and password, but got a different screen name assigned).

After all I STILL DO have the correct password for the OLD Blackberry ID in case that old password IS stored somehow inside the phone.

I'm down to my last try of the 10 tries. Phones currently states one more try and I won't be able to use the phone for 15 minutes. I'm wondering how many tries I still have.
    04-02-18 08:56 AM
    Anyhow what I'm wondering is if I can turn OFF Blackberry Protection while the phone is offline (e.g. airplane mode). Currently I can't turn it off becasue it checks online for the BBID, which I have deleted (and reinstalled with the same eMail address and password, but got a different screen name assigned).
    No. There is nothing you can do.
    04-02-18 09:38 AM
    Yes, that is the way I see it as well.

I do have proof of purchase AND I have the correct original password.

The way I see it, the issue is that the Blachberry Protection somehow got turned on. I don't know how it got turned on, I sure don't remember turning it on when I set up the phone (I'm no fan of such things and never use it for exactly this type of reasons). So Blackberry Protection is what now keeps me wiping this phone.

After all I STILL DO have the correct password for the OLD Blackberry ID in case that old password IS stored somehow inside the phone.

I'm down to my last try of the 10 tries. Phones currently states one more try and I won't be able to use the phone for 15 minutes. I'm wondering how many tries I still have.
    You could wait around and see what happens at the end of 2019... maybe BlackBerry patches BB10 devices to disable BlackBerry Protection, or maybe all BB10 devices become Bricks like yours is. For now there is nothing you can do... other than call BlackBerry - but don't expect much (can't hurt to try).
    04-02-18 10:05 AM
    You could wait around and see what happens at the end of 2019... maybe BlackBerry patches BB10 devices to disable BlackBerry Protection, or maybe all BB10 devices become Bricks like yours is.
    So wait, there is some possibility that BB10 devices will become not usable after 2019?
    04-02-18 10:18 AM
    So wait, there is some possibility that BB10 devices will become not usable after 2019?
    Unlikely, but definitely possible.
    04-02-18 10:46 AM
    Well, just some closing feedback.

First thanks again for all the help !!!

I ended up filing a purchase protection claim with my Credit Card company, stating that I mistakingly deleted the account of the unique identifyer while trying to transfer it to the new phone and thereby made the phone unusable.

Credit Card company approved and issued a full refund.

I promptly ordered an another Classic.

So I try again soon. This time around with a bit more wisdom - or hopefully.
    04-06-18 12:05 AM