I'm a huge BlackBerry fan for the last probably 10 years now. Haven't used any other phone aside from the good almighty Nokia. And honestly, I don't like to change my habits, especially with some outsider company's decision.

But here is the tricky point. Everybody uses whatsapp around me, like even my parents.

I wanted to grab BlackBerry Passport silver edition so bad, and I still do. But it seems like it may be a huge waste. I can tell this to my brain, but I cannot justify it to my heart.

Can anyone help me out? (and no, android BlackBerry's won't do it.)

It's just so sad to be forced to let go my BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 10:01 AM
    Although some people believe the Android version of WhatsApp will continue to be useable on BB10 devices after Dec 31, there has been no official definitive word from WhatsApp about this particular situation.
    10-08-16 10:29 AM
    Although some people believe the Android version of WhatsApp will continue to be useable on BB10 devices after Dec 31, there has been no official definitive word from WhatsApp about this particular situation.
    Sorta is

Blackberry Passport vs Whatsapp-img_20160924_003741.png

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-08-16 11:07 AM
    I'm a huge BlackBerry fan for the last probably 10 years now. Haven't used any other phone aside from the good almighty Nokia. And honestly, I don't like to change my habits, especially with some outsider company's decision.

But here is the tricky point. Everybody uses whatsapp around me, like even my parents.

I wanted to grab BlackBerry Passport silver edition so bad, and I still do. But it seems like it may be a huge waste. I can tell this to my brain, but I cannot justify it to my heart.

Can anyone help me out? (and no, android BlackBerry's won't do it.)

It's just so sad to be forced to let go my BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    If you don't want to use the android app there is nothing you can do unfortunately

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-08-16 11:07 AM
    Sorta is
    That's my point. He never said it would be blocked and even though he previous said it could be, we still don't know for certain.

It is quite possible that the Android version will continue to mostly work after Dec. 31, but it could slowly become less and less useable as WhatsApp continues to be updated.
    10-08-16 11:18 AM
    That's my point. He never said it would be blocked and even though he previous said it could be, we still don't know for certain.

It is quite possible that the Android version will continue to mostly work after Dec. 31, but it could slowly become less and less useable as WhatsApp continues to be updated.
    Yes that's true
    But it should remain usable for a considerable time (old versions will continue to work for some time frame in case the new versions don't work)
    It isn't really slow compared to other android apps
    Works pretty decently

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-08-16 12:48 PM
    Yes that's true
    But it should remain usable for a considerable time (old versions will continue to work for some time frame in case the new versions don't work)
    It isn't really slow compared to other android apps
    Works pretty decently

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    How sure are you that older versions will work? I installed Whatsapp for the first time on a BB 9900 today and it said the device is no longer supported. I even tried a few different versions of Whatsapp, but none worked. The older versions say that the date on my phone is incorrect.

Has anyone installed whatsapp on their BB10 device recently and it worked? Would love to know.
    10-08-16 02:24 PM
    How sure are you that older versions will work? I installed Whatsapp for the first time on a BB 9900 today and it said the device is no longer supported. I even tried a few different versions of Whatsapp, but none worked. The older versions say that the date on my phone is incorrect.

Has anyone installed whatsapp on their BB10 device recently and it worked? Would love to know.
    Here's what WhatsApp says about support for BB10:
    https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/bb/20951501
    10-08-16 06:00 PM
    I don't mind using android version of BlackBerry. And I don't care if I can share media as long as I can send and receive text.

But like many others, I have doubts that it may not work. It could be the new software, or it could be whatsapp's some sort of android decision, I don't know man I'm so confused.

I may just take a dive and just go for it after all. Maybe for the black version because it's considerably cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 06:34 PM
    I agree it is tempting to want to get a Passport now that the price has dropped, but don't forgot why the price has dropped. If you are willing to stick with BB10 regardless of dwindling app and OS support, that's fine. But if you rely on being able to continue with WhatsApp for the next couple years, that's something I wouldn't be willing to bet on.

I do like BB10 a lot and I do rely on intermittent use of WhatsApp. I'm willing to wait for Mercury to be released, but that's about as long as I'm prepared to stick with BB10.
    10-08-16 08:23 PM

I meant the older versions of the Android app
    Sorry for the confusion

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-08-16 08:40 PM
    i just install whatsapp using snap and i found the experience were no different than using an android phone.
    This version will survive even though 2017.
    Unless whatsapp stop supporting android 4.4
    10-08-16 09:26 PM
    i just install whatsapp using snap and i found the experience were no different than using an android phone.
    I'd say that is still some time away

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-08-16 10:20 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 Android Runtime is version 4.3.
    10-08-16 11:13 PM
    For the most part we can only speculate now, I believe that wait until Jan 1st will be the best to see what options we have left

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport 
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    10-09-16 08:27 PM
    There is nothing to speculate about the function of Android-Whatsapp on a passport. Just try it out now and you will see if it works for you. As it works now, it will work on OS10 until Whatsapp will not support Android 4.3 anymore. But this will take some years because there are a lot of Android 4.3 users Whatsapp will not lose. I use it since some month on my Q10 and it's okay.
    10-10-16 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD