I am looking to buy a BlackBerry 9000 bold because I think they’re such cool phones but I heard you can’t activate or run them because BlackBerry will be shutting down their operating system in about a year is that true I’m new here this would be my first BlackBerry
    05-03-19 12:04 AM
    BlackBerry World (apps store) will be shut down by the end of this year. Most of the BlackBerry services will be ended by the same time. BlackBerry phone that run BBOS or BB10 couldn't be a useful phone or a daily driver if you use the phone as a smartphone.

If you really love BlackBerry, you can choose the Key 2. The newest BlackBerry phone that runs on Android.

BlackBerry OS was really a great OS and run on a great selection of devices, but unfortunately, you are too late.
    The grand party is over.

Hurry up and join our party and get the Keyone or Key 2, because our current small party might have a similar end soon.
    glwerry, the_boon and GlennLaycock like this.
    05-03-19 03:21 AM
    The old Bold, Curve, and Torch series devices all used a special network connection, BIS, for data services. BlackBerry will be shutting down the BIS servers so use as a smartphone would be more difficult than it already is with such an old device.

At this point, the only BlackBerry devices worth looking at are running Android.
    05-03-19 05:23 PM
    hello, i bought last week a blackberry bold 9000, and i have the rest of the year to download apps from the store.. in the future, you can still get the jar files from the internet, and i use this little blackberry for zello, twitter and music, u can still use opera browser, works fine , and logic mail for mails, tho idk how to configure it, but still a good phone u know.. for those stuff i mentioned before works fine, also for sms and calls..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    qan qaq likes this.
    05-05-19 09:31 AM
    BB7 devices are NOT smartphones and haven't been for a long long time.

They're feature phones with a bangin' keyboard and a few extras like e-mail, brickbreaker and super slow and laggy internet browsing.

If you're gonna go pre-android, it would make more sense to go for a Classic instead.

But the real better choice would be the KEYone/KEY2/LE
    John Albert and GlennLaycock like this.
    05-05-19 12:10 PM
    If the network providers shut down BIS is it possible to download BES and host it on an old PC from home (or the office)? I guess what I am asking is what is the role of the Blackberry NOC in all this?
    05-05-19 02:28 PM
    Does this mean my old Curve will still function for telephone and texting, but nothing else? And do we have an exact date for this shutdown. I was appalled at receiving no communication whatsoever about the loss of BBM, no email, no BBm or text. So I suspect I won't get a warning if my phone is going to stop working.
    06-16-19 12:04 PM
    Does this mean my old Curve will still function for telephone and texting, but nothing else? And do we have an exact date for this shutdown. I was appalled at receiving no communication whatsoever about the loss of BBM, no email, no BBm or text. So I suspect I won't get a warning if my phone is going to stop working.
    Probably not if the carrier retires the 2G/3G network used for calls and texting. The frequency bands are being repurposed for 4G and 5G now and the future.
    06-16-19 01:27 PM
    Depends how old of a Curve it is and also which network you're on (but given your username let's say Canada); the Curve 8520 and older require 2G (i.e. December 2020 on Rogers and already gone on Bell/Telus), while 3G Curves (Curve 93xx) use 3G, which has no scheduled shutdown date in Canada. Once that happens your Curve, assuming it hasn't crumbled to dust by then, will only work on WiFi.
    06-16-19 05:46 PM
    They're feature phones with a bangin' keyboard and a few extras like e-mail
    Email, contacts, tasks, notes and calendar.

Those are the essentials of a professional set up even today.

And, unfortunately, those are exactly the features that neither Apple or Android seem to be interested in getting right.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-28-19 05:53 PM
    Email, contacts, tasks, notes and calendar.

Those are the essentials of a professional set up even today.

And, unfortunately, those are exactly the features that neither Apple or Android seem to be interested in getting right.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    For some people's workflow perhaps.

But for me, these things are vastly superior on Android.

I'm not sure why you are making such a generalisation.
    chidoro42 likes this.
    06-28-19 05:54 PM

I'm pretty sure bb10adopter111 is stating that Apple and Android can't get them right for him specifically, as most people would only be referring to their own experience when making such a statement.

I'm pretty confident that neither Apple nor Android can get those items right for many people, judging by the reluctance/refusal of many BB10/BBOS users to jump ship, but if they work for you conite, knock yourself out.
    06-28-19 06:06 PM
    I'm pretty sure bb10adopter111 is stating that Apple and Android can't get them right for him specifically, as most people would only be referring to their own experience when making such a statement.

I'm pretty confident that neither Apple nor Android can get those items right for many people, judging by the reluctance/refusal of many BB10/BBOS users to jump ship, but if they work for you conite, knock yourself out.
    Well, so far 79.5 of the 80 million BBOS/BB10 users have already jumped ship, so....

And don't worry, bb10adopter111 and I go way back - no need to intervene.
    MikeX74, TgeekB and chidoro42 like this.
    06-28-19 06:20 PM
    Well, so far 79.5 of the 80 million BBOS/BB10 users have already jumped ship, so....

Pretty sure you're overestimating that, but then again, there are tons of threads where we've discussed that ad nauseum...so perhaps we can just say that we disagree and let others decide for themselves on this one?

No worries; whether you and bb10adopter go back or not is irrelevant, he can take care of himself. It's sort of like when Chuck_Finley69 and I get into an argument/discussion/what have you....
    06-28-19 06:38 PM
    Pretty sure you're overestimating that, but then again, there are tons of threads where we've discussed that ad nauseum...so perhaps we can just say that we disagree and let others decide for themselves on this one?

No worries; whether you and bb10adopter go back or not is irrelevant, he can take care of himself. It's sort of like when Chuck_Finley69 and I get into an argument/discussion/what have you....
    Easy there, I strive to avoid the argument keeping it at civil discourse or below. I’ve been able to avoid CB jail with a better carjackd (RIP) attitude.
    06-29-19 06:06 AM

Exactly.
    BB once owned the business sector. The business sector has moved on to Apple and Android for mobile.
    chidoro42 likes this.
    06-29-19 08:30 AM

Plus, you really need I reliable browser in my opinion when you need to look things up.
    chidoro42 likes this.
    06-29-19 08:37 AM
    Easy there, I strive to avoid the argument keeping it at civil discourse or below. I’ve been able to avoid CB jail with a better carjackd (RIP) attitude.
    Quite correct Chuck, you do indeed strive to keep it civil. The overall point was that you are quite capable of looking after yourself, much like bb10adopter. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable....hell, it's even possible to joke around with those you disagree with in some cases.....
    07-01-19 05:20 AM
    I am looking to buy a BlackBerry 9000 bold because I think they’re such cool phones but I heard you can’t activate or run them because BlackBerry will be shutting down their operating system in about a year is that true I’m new here this would be my first BlackBerry
    What can you do..... don't buy a 9000 in 2019.

If you want a keyboard BlackBerry, look at one of the Android powered KEY devices. They should function for years to come.

For an idea of what life is like without BIS The Bold Explorer but it's been going down hill as fewer and fewer apps function these days.
    07-01-19 07:27 AM
    ... this would be my first BlackBerry
    We should investigate primeos its an android based OS i want to install it on my BB but would like a tut video first - its so new no ones done it yet. perhaps give it a try.
    07-01-19 08:08 AM
    We should investigate primeos its an android based OS i want to install it on my BB but would like a tut video first - its so new no ones done it yet. perhaps give it a try.
    BlackBerry's all have locked bootloaders... the only OS they will run, is the OS they are meant to run.

• BBOS Devices won't run Android.
    • BB10 Devices have an only 4.3 Runtime - but the OS can't be replaced and the Runtime can't be updated.
    • BB Android Devices will only run the BlackBerry version of Android that is released for them.

Give it a try... has been tried. Not sure about PRIMOS, but the rules of the bootloader are the same.
    07-01-19 08:17 AM
    i was thinking more leaving BBOS on
    Sideloading PrimeOS and running it on top of BBOS

Even if it slows it should be good enough for watching videos, surfing internet and a whole new browser to use.

Is it plausible to run an OS on top of an OS like it were an app?...anyone??
    07-01-19 09:42 AM
    no you cant do that on BB hardware
    07-01-19 10:25 AM
    i was thinking more leaving BBOS on
    Sideloading PrimeOS and running it on top of BBOS

Even if it slows it should be good enough for watching videos, surfing internet and a whole new browser to use.

Is it plausible to run an OS on top of an OS like it were an app?...anyone??
    Only if the base OS is designed to allow such.... Like BB10 is designed to run the Android Runtime which is an Android OS. But it is only designed to work with the specific runtime that BlackBerry created.

But no, you can't magically install something like PrimeOS on top of BB10 or BBOS..
    07-01-19 10:29 AM
    Even if it were possible, the hardware does not come close to having the horsepower needed to do any of the things that you listed.
    chidoro42 likes this.
    07-01-19 10:39 AM
83 123 ...