My work colleague picked up a leap from ebay and decided he didn't like it, so for £20 I took it off him as I've never owned one before & I was curious.. Phone itself is a nice little back up phone, slower than my Z10 was(from memory)... But all in all I like it, there is a strange glitch with the keyboard though, even though it will type in both upper & lowercase the keyboard itself will only display uppercase letters?.. Has anyone else has this issue & how did they fix it?.. Keyboard works fine except for that one problem..
    08-04-21 01:40 PM
    My work colleague picked up a leap from ebay and decided he didn't like it, so for £20 I took it off him as I've never owned one before & I was curious.. Phone itself is a nice little back up phone, slower than my Z10 was(from memory)... But all in all I like it, there is a strange glitch with the keyboard though, even though it will type in both upper & lowercase the keyboard itself will only display uppercase letters?.. Has anyone else has this issue & how did they fix it?.. Keyboard works fine except for that one problem..
    Specs are identical to the Z10.

Did you try a reboot?

Otherwise maybe an autoloader will fix the problem.
    08-04-21 01:58 PM
    Specs are identical to the Z10.

Did you try a reboot?

Otherwise maybe an autoloader will fix the problem.
    Really?.. Its been around 5 or 6 years since I used my Z10 & I suppose it's true how you remember things better than they were...
    Yes I've tried a reboot and it still the same, as for the autoader.. Erm could you help a little on that?..
    08-04-21 02:12 PM
    Really?.. Its been around 5 or 6 years since I used my Z10 & I suppose it's true how you remember things better than they were...
    Yes I've tried a reboot and it still the same, as for the autoader.. Erm could you help a little on that?..
    Since BB10 backend services will be shutdown at the end of this year, you should set it up without a BBID. This means no BlackBerry World, BBM, or BlackBerry Protect - but they will be gone soon anyway.

Here is the autoloader. Download and unzip to PC, plug in the phone, and then run it. Disable BlackBerry Protect FIRST!

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0
    08-04-21 02:18 PM
    The keyboard has always only displayed the keys in uppercase.

At least it always has on my Z10.

I think the idea was that since a physical keyboard never changes, BlackBerry figured they would leave it like that for the vkb too.
    08-04-21 02:26 PM
    This is what I mean...

Blackberry leap keyboard quirk.-img_20210804_144122.png

Notice the suggested words are all properly lowercase, but the keyboard keys are still all caps.
    08-04-21 02:46 PM
    Where are ya'll finding a company that will still support these phones? Is this in the U.S.?
    08-04-21 02:53 PM
    This is what I mean...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210804_144122.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	450996

Notice the suggested words are all properly lowercase, but the keyboard keys are still all caps.
    Thank you, it's been years since I've used my Z10 & the keyboard is the last thing I can remember, I've been convinced there must be a fault with the phone as I can't ever remember another keyboard only being in uppercase all the time?..
    Thank you & conite for your help its appreciated..
    Really odd choice for a keyboard...
    08-04-21 02:55 PM
    Where are ya'll finding a company that will still support these phones? Is this in the U.S.?
    No I'm in the UK.
    08-04-21 02:55 PM
    Since BB10 backend services will be shutdown at the end of this year, you should set it up without a BBID. This means no BlackBerry World, BBM, or BlackBerry Protect - but they will be gone soon anyway.

Here is the autoloader. Download and unzip to PC, plug in the phone, and then run it. Disable BlackBerry Protect FIRST!

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0
    Thank you for your help, apparently the keyboard is always in uppercase (at least on the Z10).. But I, ll keep the link for future reference and not set up any blackberry ID etc..
    08-04-21 02:58 PM
    No I'm in the UK.
    Ohhh, I see. Cheers.
    08-04-21 02:58 PM
    Thank you for your help, apparently the keyboard is always in uppercase (at least on the Z10).. But I, ll keep the link for future reference and not set. Up any blackberry ID etc..
    You'll need it prior to the end of the year. You will need to get that BBID off your device.
    08-04-21 03:00 PM
    Really odd choice for a keyboard...
    Agreed. I recall some conversations about that back in the day, but no one made too big of a deal about.

Once BlackBerry made their android phones and made their own vkb app to go with it, they went with the standard "uppercase/lowercase as needed" format.
    08-04-21 03:02 PM
    You'll need it prior to the end of the year. You will need to get that BBID off your device.
    Thanks, I've still got my Q10 & classic that still need that taking off, I, ll put it on my list..
    08-04-21 03:09 PM
    Agreed. I recall some conversations about that back in the day, but no one made too big of a deal about.

Once BlackBerry made their android phones and made their own vkb app to go with it, they went with the standard "uppercase/lowercase as needed" format.
    Really is strange how I can't recall it on my Z10?.. but a lot of phones & keyboards have been used since those days, really had me convinced there was a fault with the phone, but glad they ditched that keyboard later on..
    08-04-21 03:11 PM
    The BB10 virtual keyboard on the Z10 was awesome. Not sure I can say I even ever noticed that it was always in caps.
    08-04-21 06:59 PM
    The BB10 virtual keyboard on the Z10 was awesome. Not sure I can say I even ever noticed that it was always in caps.
    That's one of the weirdest things ever that I didn't remember that. And I still use my old Z30 every now and then. It must just be deeply entrenched in my brain that I don't even notice.
    08-04-21 07:08 PM
    That's one of the weirdest things ever that I didn't remember that. And I still use my old Z30 every now and then. It must just be deeply entrenched in my brain that I don't even notice.
    You know, I can't remember if the vkb on BBOS did that or not. I had the Torch 9800 and in the last year of the three years I used it, I was almost exclusively on the vkb. To prepare myself for what I knew would be a slab for my next phone at the time. And that was the Z10.
    08-04-21 07:43 PM
    Exactly! I still use my old Z10 for testing out apk's and did not occur to me.
    08-04-21 08:40 PM
    I’ve been wracking my brains all night trying to remember the Z10s keyboard & finally I gave up and ordered one off eBay..
    Can’t believe for all of the years I used it I didn’t notice the keyboard was always in upper case!..
    Oh well another one for the collection..
    08-05-21 01:24 AM
    The keyboard with capitals only is maybe not that odd anyway. I just fired up an iPhone 4 to check my memory and that one also have the capitals only layout.

Anyway, hasn't bothered me either. The keyboard on my z30 is the one I type fastest on.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-21 02:09 AM
    The keyboard with capitals only is maybe not that odd anyway. I just fired up an iPhone 4 to check my memory and that one also have the capitals only layout.

Anyway, hasn't bothered me either. The keyboard on my z30 is the one I type fastest on.

Posted via CB10
    Another phone I've used and another one I can't remember having that keyboard quirk..
    It does seem odd that any keyboard would only have an uppercase keyboard layout..
    But I suppose using the phone daily you wouldn't really notice..
    08-05-21 02:31 AM
    Back then, BlackBerry and Apple probably thought that all caps was the best concept for what to display on the VKB. And/or maybe they decided it wasn't worth the cost and effort to try to get both upper and lower case going on the VKB or consuming precious back then phone resources. In those earlier days, maybe it was a big deal to have to try to do both. As someone else also indicated, the predominant precursor references back then were probably the PKBs with their fixed alpha numeric arrangements stamped/printed on the physical keys. So, it was probably all just natural back then, but seems odd now in hindsight.
    08-05-21 06:47 AM
    Back then, BlackBerry and Apple probably thought that all caps was the best concept for what to display on the VKB. And/or maybe they decided it wasn't worth the cost and effort to try to get both upper and lower case going on the VKB or consuming precious back then phone resources. In those earlier days, maybe it was a big deal to have to try to do both. As someone else also indicated, the predominant precursor references back then were probably the PKBs with their fixed alpha numeric arrangements stamped/printed on the physical keys. So, it was probably all just natural back then, but seems odd now in hindsight.
    I have to wonder now how many older phones besides blackberry & iPhone had that same oddity?..
    Is it just a newer thing to have both upper & lower case keyboards?..
    Really is strange how you don't think there's anything odd until you come back to those phones years later after using other keyboards..
    08-05-21 07:52 AM
    I have to wonder now how many older phones besides blackberry & iPhone had that same oddity?..
    Is it just a newer thing to have both upper & lower case keyboards?..
    Really is strange how you don't think there's anything odd until you come back to those phones years later after using other keyboards..
    Checked my Nokia N8 (2010) and an older Nokia Lumia 720 (2013) - both of them had keyboards with upper and lower case!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-21 09:41 AM
26 12