Dear Crackberry community,
    I know this topic was discussed in previous threads, but not I the way I hoped it would.

I'am coming from a blackberry classic, now that my phone has stopped functioning, I need to choose a new device. Since I am very keen in protecting my privacy, I want to know which device offers me the best protection.

If I choose the keyone, I would use it without an google account. I would get the few apps I would use from other sources. Further would I quit on all google's preinstalled applications. I would try to use it as less connected with google as possible.
    The question now would be, how much data would google still receive from me? Since this is an google operating system, google will still receive some data, but would that impair my privacy?

I know apple does in some extend the same thing, but way less and more anonym, since their major income, does not rely on data mining. I also got to deprive apps the permission for major functions.

I'am really a blackberry enthusiast, and I loved their OS, but it is dying and I don't want to spend money on the old BB10. So I have to know If blackberry's Android is providing me the same privacy ( I don't want to use the google apps, like the calender etc.)

So which companies provides me the best privacy? Blackberry android (without google account), or Apple's IOS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    03-14-18 07:40 AM
    03-14-18 07:44 AM
    I know this topic was discussed in previous threads, but not I the way I hoped it would.

I'am coming from a blackberry classic, now that my phone has stopped functioning, I need to choose a new device. Since I am very keen in protecting my privacy, I want to know which device offers me the best protection.

If I choose the keyone, I would use it without an google account. I would get the few apps I would use from other sources. Further would I quit on all google's preinstalled applications. I would try to use it as less connected with google as possible.
    The question now would be, how much data would google still receive from me? Since this is an google operating system, google will still receive some data, but would that impair my privacy?

I know apple does in some extend the same thing, but way less and more anonym, since their major income, does not rely on data mining. I also got to deprive apps the permission for major functions.

I'am really a blackberry enthusiast, and I loved their OS, but it is dying and I don't want to spend money on the old BB10. So I have to know If blackberry's Android is providing me the same privacy ( I don't want to use the google apps, like the calender etc.)

So which companies provides me the best privacy? Blackberry android (without google account), or Apple's IOS?

Buy IOS. It’s closed OS like BlackBerry and obviously Apple will treat your data more similar to BlackBerry. Android without Google account is extremely limited and I’d bet Google is still gathering usage data at the OS level.
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-14-18 08:08 AM
    #Chuck Finley69, Thanks for your reply, I think you are right. Look what I found here:
    From: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...roid-apps.html
    "Google has been secretly recording Android users’ location information even if they had turned off location services on their phones, a new report has revealed. And, in a curious twist to the tale, a leading security researcher has claimed that Google nemesis Oracle was behind the exposé.

Quartz reported on Tuesday that, since the start of the year, Android phones have been registering and transmitting to Google information about nearby cell towers, without letting users know.

Google (GOOGL, -1.78%) confirmed that it was doing this, and said it would stop. The company said it had collected the information to manage messages and push notifications, but it had never used the information nor stored it.

The data collection took place even if the user had not put a SIM card into their phone, the report stated, explaining that devices could nonetheless collect cell tower data if they were connected to a Wi-Fi network—presumably due to Google knowing the location of the Wi-Fi hotspot."
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-14-18 08:17 AM
    #Chuck Finley69, Thanks for your reply, I think you are right. Look what I found here:
    From: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...roid-apps.html
    "Google has been secretly recording Android users’ location information even if they had turned off location services on their phones, a new report has revealed. And, in a curious twist to the tale, a leading security researcher has claimed that Google nemesis Oracle was behind the exposé.

Quartz reported on Tuesday that, since the start of the year, Android phones have been registering and transmitting to Google information about nearby cell towers, without letting users know.

Google (GOOGL, -1.78%) confirmed that it was doing this, and said it would stop. The company said it had collected the information to manage messages and push notifications, but it had never used the information nor stored it.

The data collection took place even if the user had not put a SIM card into their phone, the report stated, explaining that devices could nonetheless collect cell tower data if they were connected to a Wi-Fi network—presumably due to Google knowing the location of the Wi-Fi hotspot."
    Understand a couple of things. I don’t know if Apple is or isn’t doing same thing. I don’t know if BlackBerry did or didn’t also do the same thing.

With the capabilities that are expected from newer devices, some things are built into devices for performance and/or convenience. The level of privacy you expect may be unavailable now and even before. Everyone focuses on the OS when I think as much or more data is captured at the carrier level.

Your solution may be a landline with a cordless phone for mobile use.. :-)
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-14-18 08:26 AM
    Understand a couple of things. I don’t know if Apple is or isn’t doing same thing. I don’t know if BlackBerry did or didn’t also do the same thing.

With the capabilities that are expected from newer devices, some things are built into devices for performance and/or convenience. The level of privacy you expect may be unavailable now and even before. Everyone focuses on the OS when I think as much or more data is captured at the carrier level.

I have read tons of articles about this topic and now asking in this forum for extended information. The things is, it appears to me that google is mining data, without any consideration to its customers privacy, this is not the first time "a mistake" appeared and they promised that it won't happen again. I don't know how much google is really getting from you and, yes of course the same might be true with apple, but it appears to be much less in the Apple environment. I know that complete privacy is not possible today and probably never will be, if you want to have access to certain services. But at least I try to pick the best choice and that appears to be apple, unless someone gives me a really good argument for the BB keyone.
    03-14-18 08:36 AM
    I am pretty new to how Android works. But my Motion seems to have some interesting -- possibly security? -- elements. For instance, I found it is useless to install optional calendars or contacts and dialer because any changes must default to the installed versions. For instance, the default calendar is not the Google version, but the BBerry version. The optional calendars will not sync with Google unless you first sync the installed BBerry calendar. Any changes to contacts, MUST be done in the BBlackberry contacts. If you want to use an optional dialer, it defaults to the BBerry version. Now, maybe this is normal Android behavior, but looks like some things are locked down.

My original thread:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13148436
    Last edited by scrannel; 03-14-18 at 08:53 AM.
    MatDon likes this.
    03-14-18 08:41 AM
    I have read tons of articles about this topic and now asking in this forum for extended information. The things is, it appears to me that google is mining data, without any consideration to its customers privacy, this is not the first time "a mistake" appeared and they promised that it won't happen again. I don't know how much google is really getting from you and, yes of course the same might be true with apple, but it appears to be much less in the Apple environment. I know that complete privacy is not possible today and probably never will be, if you want to have access to certain services. But at least I try to pick the best choice and that appears to be apple, unless someone gives me a really good argument for the BB keyone.
    I have three mobile devices. BlackBerry KEYone, Apple iPad 5th generation, and the A30 Plus Amazon Phone by Alcatel. The KEYone and the iPad are both AT&T carrier locked. The Apple business model isn’t data gathering intrusive like Google for revenue generation purposes as much as for customer experience purposes. However, I feel both companies data usage collection purposes are converging to provide a consistent, better customer experience which leads to increased revenue as people upgrade to latest devices for these latest features.

You either buy KEYone for BBAndroid with PKB, Motion for BBAndroid with VKB or Apple for IOS.
    03-14-18 08:57 AM
    Right now you have no option privacy wise. With Google you know where you stand: the will gather all your data regardless of your options. With Apple it is the same but it does not admit it. Apple wants to know everything about you and it may seem less obvious than Google but is just an illusion. BBAndroid is just smoke and mirrors, no different from any other android phone: Google vacuums all.
    03-15-18 04:23 AM
    What information do you want to keep private?
    03-15-18 06:44 AM

Check out Copperhead OS. We're evaluating them now as replacements for our bb10 devices. Their entire mission is privacy...and there is zero involvement from Google as I understand it.
    03-22-18 07:10 AM
    How about the 2 can with string in between? They say it's impossible for third party to tap.
    03-22-18 07:44 AM
    How about the 2 can with string in between? They say it's impossible for third party to tap.
    Some people have unknowingly allowed third party friends to attach intrusive second can and string or allow friend to listen physically nearby. People don't know what they agree to give up when they socially interact with others. If you truly want privacy, stay indoors, alone, where it's truly a safe happy space.

LOL
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-22-18 08:15 AM
    Some people have unknowingly allowed third party friends to attach intrusive second can and string or allow friend to listen physically nearby. People don't know what they agree to give up when they socially interact with others. If you truly want privacy, stay indoors, alone, where it's truly a safe happy space.

LOL
    Lmao you're right! I now recall an article in Popular Science which touched on the second can and string exploit.
    03-22-18 08:19 AM