I just bought an LG G6 running Android 7.0, expecting to be able to install the BlackBerry Keyboard. However, BlackBerry Keyboard doesn't show up in the Play Store. When I do a Web search I find the apk for BlackBerry Keyboard 3.1, but when I download and try to install it I get the message "App not installed: This app isn't compatible with your phone."

What gives? Having just come from a Z10, the default LG keyboard makes the phone virtually unsuable.
    11-24-17 03:37 PM
    The keyboard is not part of the BlackBerry App suite. BlackBerry's licence with SwiftKey won't allow it.

It can be stolen/hacked however. There is a thread here about that.
    11-24-17 03:39 PM
    The keyboard is not part of the BlackBerry App suite. BlackBerry's licence with SwiftKey won't allow it.

Interesting licensing deal they have. BlackBerry can't sell their keyboard app but it's OK to let people steal it and hack it. Well, I guess Swiftkey is a free app so why not? Lol.
    11-24-17 07:05 PM
    I also use a G6. Gboard is a good alternative, and so is SwiftKey.

the blackberry keyboard on Android is very nice, but has battery drain issues.
    11-24-17 07:19 PM

Are there any significant differences between the blackberry keyboard and the swiftkey?
    11-28-17 12:48 AM
    Are there any significant differences between the blackberry keyboard and the swiftkey?
    In a nutshell, Swiftkey is a freeware app owned by Microsoft that wants to entice you with more design options by backing up your keyboard data to Google.

The BlackBerrry vkb has numeorous unique features (such as gestures) and is proprietary to BlackBerry devices, although there is a workaround for other Android devices as Conite mentioned above.
    11-28-17 09:39 AM
    the blackberry keyboard on Android is very nice, but has battery drain issues.
    the blackberry keyboard on Android is very nice, but has battery drain issues
    Have not noticed this on my Huawei P9 but will keep an eye on it. So far, so good.
    11-28-17 10:28 AM
    Have not noticed this on my Huawei P9 but will keep an eye on it. So far, so good.
    Me either....

I will say that the full suite does have an impact over native launchers and apps. But just the keyboard doesn't seem to be much of an impact.
    11-28-17 10:38 AM
    I did have a battery drain issue on the Samsung . It would drain about 15 percent overnight while switched off . I will try putting the BlackBerry apps as not the default in the settings.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-28-17 at 11:24 AM.
    11-28-17 10:56 AM
    I did have a battery drain issue on the Samsung . It would drain about 15 percent overnight while switched off . I will try putting the BlackBerry apps as not the default in the settings.
    My S7 only loses 2% overnight..... That with MID Power Saving mode and Optimized Performance mode.

Keyboard probably doesn't drain power unless being used, so it would be hard to really make a good comparison.
    11-28-17 11:36 AM
    Yes you are correct. I am not sure why the phone is losing power while turned off. Must be a short somewhere. It was not an expensive phone so I replaced it.

Unlike so many here who forgive phone sins, I am unlikely to buy another Samsung.
    11-29-17 11:02 AM
    In a nutshell, Swiftkey is a freeware app owned by Microsoft that wants to entice you with more design options by backing up your keyboard data to Google.

The BlackBerrry vkb has numeorous unique features (such as gestures) and is proprietary to BlackBerry devices, although there is a workaround for other Android devices as Conite mentioned above.
    So if I'm understanding that correctly, Microsoft is basically recording and analyzing keystrokes?
    11-29-17 11:59 AM
    Yes you are correct. I am not sure why the phone is losing power while turned off. Must be a short somewhere. It was not an expensive phone so I replaced it.

Unlike so many here who forgive phone sins, I am unlikely to buy another Samsung.
    You must have wrote off BlackBerry long ago....

Anyone can have quality control issues in production. It's another thing when they fail to design correctly. Like Samsung's battery choice for the Note 7....

Storm.... not enough RAM.
    Z10..... BB10 was too bulky an OS, and required last minute RAM addition and really need a bigger battery.
    Double Typing, Screen Lifting.... hit several devices
    KEYone.... clear design flaw for screen adhesive, should have been recalled.

I'm currently using a Samsung S7 and it's a really nice device.
    Bbnivende and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-29-17 01:17 PM
    Apple has its problems too but they tend to accept them and fix them . My 9900 did not brick like some but it had some strange battery issues . My Z10 was ok and might still be in use but app situation was no longer tolerable.

One problem that I have with Samsung is the lack of OS / Security updates.

The best part of owning a BlackBerry is CrackBerry and posters like Dunt Dunt Dunt.
    11-29-17 03:32 PM
    I'm currently using a Samsung S7 and it's a really nice device.
    It is nice hardware, for sure. The software experience, on the other hand, blows chunks. I actually prefer the camera on my KeyONE to the S7 as well...I can't stand the exaggerated technicolor and wide angle appearance of the Sammy pics. Just a preference thing of course.
    11-29-17 05:15 PM
    So if I'm understanding that correctly, Microsoft is basically recording and analyzing keystrokes?
    To be fair, any keyboard on any phone could be a keylogger. However, when it insists to back-up your keyboard data (unencrypted) to Google as a precondition for additional features and services...well, you the be judge.
    11-29-17 05:58 PM
    Considering the LG G6 to replace my Z10. Did you ever install the BB App Suite and/or the keyboard? If yes, did that make Android more usable?

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-04-17 10:55 PM
    Difficult to say. Third party mail, text, launchers and calendars are far better than what came from Samsung (2015) . If you have a great need to bundle email and texts and you have multiple accounts then the hub is worthwhile. I would try out the LG first then test drive the free suite from BlackBerry. IMO the keyboard is the best BlackBerry Android feature and that is not part of the suite. If you are loving the Hub then go for the suite. You do not have to use the entire suite. You can cherry pick.
    12-05-17 01:07 PM
    Considering the LG G6 to replace my Z10. Did you ever install the BB App Suite and/or the keyboard? If yes, did that make Android more usable?

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    Android very usable out of the box.... HUB suite might make the transition easier for those coming from BB10. For those that have never used BB10 and are use to the Android notification system, not really all that useful.

Try it both ways and see what works for you.
    12-05-17 01:33 PM
    I use the hub suite on the LGG6. Not the keyboard though, I like gboard, it's a bit smaller.

They run fine. The stock LG apps aren't bad either, but they're basic. The hub is for "advanced" emailing.
    12-05-17 01:38 PM
    I had BB kb on G6... it is bad. although you can;t use the bb launcher too well with LG's.
    12-05-17 02:40 PM
    The BlackBerry Suite and Colbalt keyboard worked fine on my Samsung.
    12-05-17 06:23 PM
    I had BB kb on G6... it is bad. although you can;t use the bb launcher too well with LG's.
    You're saying the BB kb and suite didn't work on your LG G6? What specifically did it do/not do? Did you remove the BB stuff?
    12-05-17 07:10 PM
    KB worked fine, but lg software keep notifying and trying to switch me back.. annoying. BB suite works fine as well except BB Launcher was crashing once in a while and icons etc would do weird things. Did not affect the rest of the suite. LG's software, which you can't remove keeps acting weird and try to take over.
    12-05-17 07:21 PM
    KB worked fine, but lg software keep notifying and trying to switch me back.. annoying. BB suite works fine as well except BB Launcher was crashing once in a while and icons etc would do weird things. Did not affect the rest of the suite. LG's software, which you can't remove keeps acting weird and try to take over.
    To install the suite you really have to take extra steps to disable the duplicate apps, and remove your accounts from the phone and add them back in the HUB. Much easier if it's a new phone....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-06-17 01:46 PM
28 12