Hi,

I wanted to reach out to ask about your advice with respect to recovering data from BlackBerry Key2 LE (BBE100-4). Specifically, I am looking to recover extremely important for me audio files (m4a format) that were recorded through a voice recording app and stored on the device.

I have been using the phone for a few years now (since 2019) and unfortunately last week when I tried to restart the device it started looping and I never managed to bring it back to normal again. As long as the device is being charged, it remains in the boot loop. I am also able to access the bootloader menu, however, none of the options I select actually help. The device has not been damaged physically (e.g. dropped, dropped in water etc.).

The initial diagnosis of a local repair shop was that it is a battery issue. Therefore, I bought 2 brand new batteries and replaced the old one, however, it did not help. I also sought assistance from a local data recovery company but they were not able to recover the data.

That said, I wanted to reach out to check if, based on your experience, there is anything that can be done here. It is a bit general and not conclusive, however, I am also attaching below the diagnosis from the local data recovery company just in case.

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,
    Justyna

• Message 1 of 2:

Hi Justyna
    We're still trying to determine the issue with your BlackBerry Key2. We know that a "chip off" recovery is not going to be an option as the memory chip on this particular phone is encrypted, so we need to access the data via the logic board but firstly we need to try to work out why it's not accessible.
    I should have the evaluation finished by end of day tomorrow and I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information, but I just wanted to keep you informed in the meantime.

• Message 2 of 2:

Hi Justyna
    Unfortunately we're not able to access the phone that you brought in earlier this week. It looks like your phone may have been factory reset at some point in the past and it is now stuck in a loop when it tries to boot up. If this is the case, then the data will have already been erased but we're not able to access it in order to confirm that.
    I'm sorry it's not better news - you're welcome to collect the phone any time during office hours (9-5, M-F) but feel free to get back to me if you have any questions in the meantime and I'll be happy to help.
    06-24-22 07:27 PM
    Not sure if I have the same issue as Justyna. I recently dropped my Blackberry Key2 in Australia. Took it to a few repair shops and they all basically said connection damaged between the chip and the board. Only way to fix is to find someone that can solder in which nobody in Australia can do. Desperate if anyone out there can help?
    10-02-22 09:43 AM
    Lesson for any left here.... if data is important to you, make sure you have planned for worst case. Phone is lost or destroyed.

If the OP was using Google Backup, there is a good chance when they setup a new device using the backup that those audio files will be restored (maybe).
    10-03-22 07:22 AM
    Hi,

I wanted to reach out to ask about your advice with respect to recovering data from BlackBerry Key2 LE (BBE100-4). Specifically, I am looking to recover extremely important for me audio files (m4a format) that were recorded through a voice recording app and stored on the device.

I have been using the phone for a few years now (since 2019) and unfortunately last week when I tried to restart the device it started looping and I never managed to bring it back to normal again. As long as the device is being charged, it remains in the boot loop. I am also able to access the bootloader menu, however, none of the options I select actually help. The device has not been damaged physically (e.g. dropped, dropped in water etc.).

The initial diagnosis of a local repair shop was that it is a battery issue. Therefore, I bought 2 brand new batteries and replaced the old one, however, it did not help. I also sought assistance from a local data recovery company but they were not able to recover the data.

That said, I wanted to reach out to check if, based on your experience, there is anything that can be done here. It is a bit general and not conclusive, however, I am also attaching below the diagnosis from the local data recovery company just in case.

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,
    Justyna

•Message 1 of 2:

Hi Justyna
    We're still trying to determine the issue with your BlackBerry Key2. We know that a "chip off" recovery is not going to be an option as the memory chip on this particular phone is encrypted, so we need to access the data via the logic board but firstly we need to try to work out why it's not accessible.
    I should have the evaluation finished by end of day tomorrow and I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information, but I just wanted to keep you informed in the meantime.

•Message 2 of 2:

Hi Justyna
    Unfortunately we're not able to access the phone that you brought in earlier this week. It looks like your phone may have been factory reset at some point in the past and it is now stuck in a loop when it tries to boot up. If this is the case, then the data will have already been erased but we're not able to access it in order to confirm that.
    I'm sorry it's not better news - you're welcome to collect the phone any time during office hours (9-5, M-F) but feel free to get back to me if you have any questions in the meantime and I'll be happy to help.
    I feel your pain. Have your repair tech swap out or service the power button.

I experienced a similar issue (and stress), and once the power button was swapped or serviced/replaced all was working flawlessly. Need to thank conite for the support.
    10-03-22 01:02 PM
    Hi BBerry Fan888...... Were you able to get any help my phone is currently stuck in the reboot cycle and I am just wondering since your issue is so recent have you had any help in fixing the issue? How did they know that the chip and the mother board was damage? Does your phone comes on at all and allow you to enter the pin and go to the home screen where you can see your information such as texts, mine does? Let me know trying to gather information on what could be wrong with my phone, thank you....
    10-05-22 11:37 PM
    Hi Phillip St...... You had the same issue?? And repairing/swapping out the power button fixed the issue you were having? What was the issue you were having, was it that your phone was stuck in the reboot cycle and every now and then will load with your information there such as texts and call log etc. and then go back in the rebooting cycle? Let me know as any information would be greatly appreciated cause I am having the same issue now myself.. Thank you
    10-05-22 11:43 PM
    Hi Scarborough Toronto, I am in the same boat as you. And have important data on there that I thought had been backed up. Anyway, did you find any solution? Thanks
    02-11-24 02:47 PM
    Hi Scarborough Toronto, I am in the same boat as you. And have important data on there that I thought had been backed up. Anyway, did you find any solution? Thanks
    Take it to a repair shop as they should be able to figure out if it's just the power button, or something else.
    02-12-24 08:40 AM