So my question is if an anti virus needed and if yes what you recommend.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 06:27 AM
    As a general rule the answer is most likely no. With OS10 and the use of Android apps the risk may or may not be higher than before. Secure AntiVirus Pro is my choice. So far no issues of security but who knows how long that may last?
    KermEd likes this.
    11-18-14 07:22 AM
    So my question is if an anti virus needed and if yes what you recommend.

Posted via CB10
    Is this some kind of new leet speak that kids do nowadays?

The thread title is to what I'm referring. Why is it backwards when clearly you have a good command of the English language?

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    11-18-14 07:34 AM
    Be nice, please.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-18-14 08:17 AM
    Is this some kind of new leet speak that kids do nowadays?

The thread title is to what I'm referring. Why is it backwards when clearly you have a good command of the English language?

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    Was that a sarcasm or you're serious?! Sorry about that but I'm not so fluent in English. I'm from Greece. I'm trying my best though...

Posted via CB10
    hamilgs likes this.
    11-18-14 08:18 AM
    As a general rule the answer is most likely no. With OS10 and the use of Android apps the risk may or may not be higher than before. Secure AntiVirus Pro is my choice. So far no issues of security but who knows how long that may last?
    Thanks much appreciated

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 08:20 AM
    Thank you for the shout out! And I don't think I could have said it better.

As the creator of Secure AntiVirus and author of the self help books "Mommy, am I crazy?" and "I married my passport" (ok maybe I'm not an author but I love the idea of being announced everywhere I go...) I can add a few details.

Is an AV necessary?

Absolutely not. Your applications are sandboxed and even Android apps have limited access to the system. Android can only touch Android. Apps can, however, access data (contacts for example) and internet. So the risk of malware is higher. This sandboxing introduced some technical challenges for me while writing the AV. Further more BlackBerry scans all BAR files on their server, and as of 10.3 tries to somewhat scan APK files. So this becomes a bit of a redundant AV where it mostly helps for adhoc downloads as a courtesy to windows machines you connect to.

What options are there?

I created Secure AV from feedback and advice of CB users with the intention to compete with another antivirus that was very crippled and grossly over priced. I'd say it was successful - earlier this year it forced the other company to release a second better price AV and they are still struggling for feature parity. The flip side is I see there are 4 or 5 fake AV programs now that are free and don't actually scan anything. Some of them randomly 'find' a virus and charge for removal. I've had to refund a few people who fell for that...

So, what about viruses? Since inception - I've helped clients that report Secure AV has caught a bunch of malicious packages for Android. A few windows trojans. And two close calls on BlackBerry apps - where it seemed like apps were infected (but in fact those apps had bugs that were causing them to delete files from the device).

With that said I don't have any evidence an infected file can actually harm a BlackBerry device. And when I overloaded a test phone with a lot of malicious Android apps - besides lots of internet activity (sending away my contacts for example) - Android side eventually took up too much memory and gets shut down by the OS.

Summary or TL;DR version

Necessary, no. But some people want one for their own reasons and sometimes the extra security is nice
    Last edited by KermEd; 11-18-14 at 09:06 AM.
    jtv1 and sedalia066 like this.
    11-18-14 08:39 AM
    Anti-virus? I don't think we need it... it is a resource hogging thing! if BlackBerry rely on third party "anti-virus " tools in their phone, then they will have no authority to operate on US Department.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 09:06 AM
    Antivirus on a BlackBerry 10 device is to protect your other devices not the BlackBerry device. Example. If you have a a virus sitting in a file within BlackBerry 10 it will not hurt you. But if you plug it in via USB or connect via wi-fi to a PC it may be able to infect your PC. With an anti virus it would of picked it up from your BlackBerry 10 device and trapped it.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 and sedalia066 like this.
    11-18-14 09:10 AM
    Antivirus on a BlackBerry 10 device is to protect your other devices not the BlackBerry device. Example. If you have a a virus sitting in a file within BlackBerry 10 it will not hurt you. But if you plug it in via USB or connect via wi-fi to a PC it may be able to infect your PC. With an anti virus it would of picked it up from your BlackBerry 10 device and trapped it.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, exactly. I had a few companies pick up the app simply because it's company policy and they know you'll be connecting your phone to your PC.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-18-14 09:34 AM
    Thank you for the shout out! And I don't think I could have said it better.

As the creator of Secure AntiVirus and author of the self help books "Mommy, am I crazy?" and "I married my passport" (ok maybe I'm not an author but I love the idea of being announced everywhere I go...) I can add a few details.

Is an AV necessary?

Absolutely not. Your applications are sandboxed and even Android apps have limited access to the system. Android can only touch Android. Apps can, however, access data (contacts for example) and internet. So the risk of malware is higher. This sandboxing introduced some technical challenges for me while writing the AV. Further more BlackBerry scans all BAR files on their server, and as of 10.3 tries to somewhat scan APK files. So this becomes a bit of a redundant AV where it mostly helps for adhoc downloads as a courtesy to windows machines you connect to.

What options are there?

I created Secure AV from feedback and advice of CB users with the intention to compete with another antivirus that was very crippled and grossly over priced. I'd say it was successful - earlier this year it forced the other company to release a second better price AV and they are still struggling for feature parity. The flip side is I see there are 4 or 5 fake AV programs now that are free and don't actually scan anything. Some of them randomly 'find' a virus and charge for removal. I've had to refund a few people who fell for that...

So, what about viruses? Since inception - I've helped clients that report Secure AV has caught a bunch of malicious packages for Android. A few windows trojans. And two close calls on BlackBerry apps - where it seemed like apps were infected (but in fact those apps had bugs that were causing them to delete files from the device).

With that said I don't have any evidence an infected file can actually harm a BlackBerry device. And when I overloaded a test phone with a lot of malicious Android apps - besides lots of internet activity (sending away my contacts for example) - Android side eventually took up too much memory and gets shut down by the OS.

Summary or TL;DR version

Necessary, no. But some people want one for their own reasons and sometimes the extra security is nice
    Thanks for the really really useful informations! Really appreciated.

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-18-14 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    And that's what I was thinking couldn't put it more nice in a post! Thanks

BlackBerry z30 FTW
    11-18-14 12:27 PM