I have a Blackberry Z30 on an unlimited data plan from Bell. I've had the plan for about 8 years and this is the third Blackberry that I've had on the plan (Curve -> Torch -> Z30). My contract with Bell ran out over 3 years ago and I'm now month-to-month.

Before purchasing the Z30 about 3 years ago, I approached Bell about switching to a non-Blackberry device. I was told that if I switched, I would have to get a new plan since the unlimited data plan is only for Blackberry devices. The reason, I was told, was that "Blackberry data" is handled differently than "non-Blackberry data" on their network.

I'm considering switching to a Blackberry-Android device, probably a DTEK50. My plan was to purchase an unlocked device outright, and just put in a new SIM card.

Before making the purchase, I went to a Bell store today to ask some questions. I was told that if I switched to a Blackberry-Android device that my unlimited data plan wouldn't work, and that I'd have to get a new plan. When I pointed out that it was still a Blackberry device, I was told that the Blackberry OS and Android OS treat data differently. I was told that apparently the Blackberry OS "compresses" the data, so that's why Bell was able to offer unlimited data plans in the past for Blackberry devices.

This is contrary to a colleague's experience with Telus. He did exactly what I planned to do, except he doesn't have an unlimited data plan. He went from a Z10 to a DTEK50. He walked into a Telus store, purchased a new SIM card, popped it into his DETK50, and it worked. He's been through two billing cycles, hasn't noticed a significant increase in data usage on his bills, and hasn't changed his data usage patterns. This is even now with "uncompressed" / "non-Blackberry data" on a Blackberry device with an Android OS :=)

Is this just Bell's way of trying to get me off my unlimited data plan?

Has anyone else gone from a Blackberry OS / device to a Blackberry-Android OS / device and been forced to change to a new plan because the old plan isn't compatible with the Blackberry-Android OS / device?

If I purchase a new SIM card and put it in a Blackberry-Android device, will Bell start charging me for "non-Blackberry data", even though I have an unlimited data plan?

Am I overthinking all this? :=)

(This is only my second posting to CrackBerry.com Please let me know if this should be moved to a different category).

Thanks!

Chris
    11-23-17 02:05 PM
    I have a Blackberry Z30 on an unlimited data plan from Bell. I've had the plan for about 8 years and this is the third Blackberry that I've had on the plan (Curve -> Torch -> Z30). My contract with Bell ran out over 3 years ago and I'm now month-to-month.

Before purchasing the Z30 about 3 years ago, I approached Bell about switching to a non-Blackberry device. I was told that if I switched, I would have to get a new plan since the unlimited data plan is only for Blackberry devices. The reason, I was told, was that "Blackberry data" is handled differently than "non-Blackberry data" on their network.

I'm considering switching to a Blackberry-Android device, probably a DTEK50. My plan was to purchase an unlocked device outright, and just put in a new SIM card.

Before making the purchase, I went to a Bell store today to ask some questions. I was told that if I switched to a Blackberry-Android device that my unlimited data plan wouldn't work, and that I'd have to get a new plan. When I pointed out that it was still a Blackberry device, I was told that the Blackberry OS and Android OS treat data differently. I was told that apparently the Blackberry OS "compresses" the data, so that's why Bell was able to offer unlimited data plans in the past for Blackberry devices.

This is contrary to a colleague's experience with Telus. He did exactly what I planned to do, except he doesn't have an unlimited data plan. He went from a Z10 to a DTEK50. He walked into a Telus store, purchased a new SIM card, popped it into his DETK50, and it worked. He's been through two billing cycles, hasn't noticed a significant increase in data usage on his bills, and hasn't changed his data usage patterns. This is even now with "uncompressed" / "non-Blackberry data" on a Blackberry device with an Android OS :=)

Is this just Bell's way of trying to get me off my unlimited data plan?

Has anyone else gone from a Blackberry OS / device to a Blackberry-Android OS / device and been forced to change to a new plan because the old plan isn't compatible with the Blackberry-Android OS / device?

If I purchase a new SIM card and put it in a Blackberry-Android device, will Bell start charging me for "non-Blackberry data", even though I have an unlimited data plan?

Am I overthinking all this? :=)

(This is only my second posting to CrackBerry.com Please let me know if this should be moved to a different category).

Thanks!

Chris
    The compressed data story was valid with BBOS7 and earlier. With BB10, data is the same, just like Android/IOS. Your Z30 or any other BB10 hardware doesn't use BB data....AKA BIS.
    11-23-17 06:31 PM
    Basically, yes, they want you off of that unlimited plan. Unlimited plans don't even exist in Canada anymore. basically, you'll have to buy a decide unlocked and just put your SIM card in. Don't even bother telling then that you got a new device.

If you are skeptical that it would work, you could probably find someone with an Android device that works on Bell. However, I am 99.99% sure that you'll be fine. As the other user said, data was only handled differently on the legacy BlackBerry devices. On BB10 the data is exactly the same as on Android devices.
    glwerry likes this.
    11-23-17 07:53 PM
    Basically, yes, they want you off of that unlimited plan. Unlimited plans don't even exist in Canada anymore. basically, you'll have to buy a decide unlocked and just put your SIM card in. Don't even bother telling then that you got a new device.

If you are skeptical that it would work, you could probably find someone with an Android device that works on Bell. However, I am 99.99% sure that you'll be fine. As the other user said, data was only handled differently on the legacy BlackBerry devices. On BB10 the data is exactly the same as on Android devices.
    This....and be sure not to disclose your new device. Frankly, I'd be willing to bet your contract/Tos don't reference anything about blackberry-android seeing as, you know, that wasn't even a thing back then.
    11-28-17 12:56 AM

When Z10s were released wife and I signed a corporate plan with Bell. After 2 years, the wife's Z10 had a mind of it's own or was possessed we're not sure what but a battery pull permanently was required and I ended up with a backup battery and wife bought new unlocked Z30 and we've been happy ever since. We were advised if we wanted an update that Bell would require a new plan for the new Z30 costing $13/Month more. We switched the SIM card to the Z30 and 16 GB memory card. the billing has been the same for two years and when I check the devices being used on the on line Bell billing they show the wife using Z30. Nothing has been said for more than 2 years. I know the android is a different operating system. Thought I'd add that Bell would know what phone you are using however may not be able to do anything unless you update your phone purchase from them in conjunction with a plan. My though only
    12-12-17 06:55 PM
    Thought I'd add that Bell would know what phone you are using however may not be able to do anything unless you update your phone purchase from them in conjunction with a plan. My though only
    This is where the consumer can start to gain some advantage over the carriers with their contracts. Forever, contracts have been always just good for carriers and bad for consumers. If you have a great plan, it's probably on the original contract that includes that you will remain on that plan on a month to month basis perpetually, unless you upgrade your device through one of their subsidy plans. As long as you keep buying your phones outright (and not from your carrier), you can keep that plan forever.

Of course, they also put in the contract that they can change the terms at any time which is pretty crazy to legally be permitted... basically: "this contract can say anything we want it to and you just sign this one time but we retain the right change it whenever we want and without notice." So, there's still a chance the carriers could still try and bend us over but, for now, hold on to and fight for that plan for as long as you can.
    12-13-17 07:19 AM
    My apologies. I meant to provide an update much sooner than this......

I purchased an unlocked DTEK50 outright and put in the SIM card that was in my Z30 (after cutting down the SIM card: Z30 = microSIM, DTEK50 = nanoSIM). That was back in December 2017. My data usage hasn't changed and neither has by monthly bill. So, my switch from a Blackberry OS / device to a Blackberry-Android OS / device without changing plans was a success :=)

Bell has called a few times trying to sell new / upgraded services (more TV channels, new cell plan, etc). But once they realize that I'm on an unlimited data plan they usually say "I wouldn't change plans if I were you either"!

Chris
    09-01-18 04:26 PM