Phones are becoming some big purchase items like a home or a car... Car makers must stock parts for 10 years in the US. Half that would be fair IMHO... 2 yrs is too short... also, basic functionality should be assured longer
    02-24-18 03:59 PM
    Phones are becoming some big purchase items like a home or a car... Car makers must stock parts for 10 years in the US. Half that would be fair IMHO... 2 yrs is too short... also, basic functionality should be assured longer
    Find a 4K TV with anything more than 1 or 2 year warranty.

Regardless of the cost, a phone is still pretty much considered disposable, and nowhere near the same as a car, or refrigerator, or clothes washer/dryer. They are not "durable goods".
    02-24-18 04:13 PM
    a washer or dryer can be had for $250-300 ...my set was bought in 1989 and still works fine... a phone is $500-1000 and once the maker decides, it's a brick... I find that bad... Apple slowed older models allegedly to prolong battery life... I read there to make the Phineas next to useless pushing upgrading... pfft
    02-24-18 04:18 PM
    a washer or dryer can be had for $250-300 ...my set was bought in 1989 and still works fine... a phone is $500-1000 and once the maker decides, it's a brick... I find that bad... Apple slowed older models allegedly to prolong battery life... I read there to make the Phineas next to useless pushing upgrading... pfft
    Imagine how much a phone would cost if they had to build in 10-20 years of support!!

Realistically, you'd probably be looking at $5000 for the device - minimum.
    02-24-18 04:27 PM
    I would say and even grand...
    02-24-18 04:28 PM
    Yea but still, will it be possible to still get those apps specially made for BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    As someone replied to me earlier with the solution of backing up your device and apps to BlackBerry Link and back up that backup lol.

I would recommend doing a clean wipe after turning BlackBerry Protect off for good and then install all the apps you want fresh. After you are happy with the clean setup I would backup to BlackBerry Link and save that backup file on an external drive also. This will be your Reset theoretically
    02-24-18 04:36 PM
    U are not helpful at all.
    02-24-18 04:38 PM
    Imagine how much a phone would cost if they had to build in 10-20 years of support!!

Realistically, you'd probably be looking at $5000 for the device - minimum.
    There should be a minimal standard that is required for support and there should be a printed label on a $500+ phone that states the EOL of that device. That would deter customers from buying old stock that manufacturers want to dump on the unsuspecting public then pull the plug. Perhaps that would force manufacturers to be more consistent with updates and more transparent
    02-24-18 04:40 PM
    I would say and even grand...
    For a 10-20 year support commitment for a handful of legacy products? You're dreaming my friend.
    02-24-18 04:42 PM
    There should be a minimal standard that is required for support and there should be a printed label on a $500+ phone that states the EOL of that device. That would deter customers from buying old stock that manufacturers want to dump on the unsuspecting public then pull the plug. Perhaps that would force manufacturers to be more consistent with updates and more transparent
    That's what certifications like Google Enterprise is trying to do.

At least it's a process, and should mean a bit more than writing on a box or in promotional literature.
    02-24-18 04:43 PM

Actual native bar files can't be unzipped and looked at the way the converted apks could be.
    Incorrect. Sachesi and DBBT can unzip .BAR files, nearly at their inception - I say "nearly" , because I can't remember when I got on Xsacha's nerves about providing that feature. Now, a BB10 backup can't be unzipped, because of stupid encryption.
    02-24-18 06:19 PM
    Incorrect. Sachesi and DBBT can unzip .BAR files, nearly at their inception - I say "nearly" , because I can't remember when I got on Xsacha's nerves about providing that feature. Now, a BB10 backup can't be unzipped, because of stupid encryption.
    Yeah, it's actually easier to unpack a bar file than an apk file because the assets aren't compressed or otherwise obfuscated by default; if it's a Cascades app all the UI code is there clear as day.
    02-24-18 06:59 PM
    For a 10-20 year support commitment for a handful of legacy products? You're dreaming my friend.
    ".All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    02-25-18 03:20 PM
    ".All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    That's great writing, but it's not a business case for BlackBerry to spend more money on its former customers who aren't even a target for its future business ventures.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-25-18 05:39 PM
    I understand what you say but I cannot understand BlackBerry
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 02-25-18 at 06:36 PM.
    02-25-18 06:18 PM
    I understand what you say but I cannot understand the BlackBerry
    I think you are attributing qualities to them that they don't possess. They are a publicly traded company selling security tools to businesses and governments. They are not interested in mobile phone users anymore and their owners (shareholders) would not tolerate them spending money on unprofitable services.

If their management team said that they were going to continue indefinite support for BB10 with no chance of making a profit, they would likely be fired.

02-25-18 06:26 PM
    If someone asked you to go to work at your old job but said that you wouldn't be paid to do it, would you do that?

Because that's what BlackBerry would be doing if it continued to spend money on its obsolete products with no financial benefit.

02-25-18 06:28 PM
    If their shareholders were involved, there is a lengthy history at BlackBerry that would have merited intervention.
    02-25-18 06:34 PM
    If their shareholders were involved, there is a lengthy history at BlackBerry that would have merited intervention.
    What do you mean?
    02-25-18 08:09 PM
    They did intervene. They fired the CEO who brought BB10 and the PlayBook to market, though the damage was done by the founders before Heins took the reins.

02-25-18 09:36 PM
    What was BlackBerry... is history.

But I don't remember any point where BlackBerry went back and "took care of" they customers.... STORM, PLAYBOOK, Z10. They have always been about what's next.
    02-26-18 10:16 AM
    What was BlackBerry... is history.

But I don't remember any point where BlackBerry went back and "took care of" they customers.... STORM, PLAYBOOK, Z10. They have always been about what's next.
    I've never understood people's accusation that BlackBerry didn't take care of us customers. My experience has been the complete opposite. I've been disappointed by things they wanted to do but didn't succeed at, but my BlackBerry devices have lasted longer than almost any other consumer electronics I've bought, outside of high end audio equipment.

My PlayBook, which we all know never received BB10, has been a tank, and is STILL my favorite tablet (including a new iPad Air, Amazon Fire and Samsung Tab E) for downloaded audio and video files during my commute.

Every single one of my BBOS phones worked until the day I stopped using them.

My Z10 has now become the longest-lived phone I've ever owned and used daily.

The only thing BlackBerry has been guilty of, in my experience, is failing in the marketplace. Their users left them, and they folded up their tent.

02-26-18 10:49 AM
    I've never understood people's accusation that BlackBerry didn't take care of us customers. My experience has been the complete opposite. I've been disappointed by things they wanted to do but didn't succeed at, but my BlackBerry devices have lasted longer than almost any other consumer electronics I've bought, outside of high end audio equipment.

My PlayBook, which we all know never received BB10, has been a tank, and is STILL my favorite tablet (including a new iPad Air, Amazon Fire and Samsung Tab E) for downloaded audio and video files during my commute.

Every single one of my BBOS phones worked until the day I stopped using them.

My Z10 has now become the longest-lived phone I've ever owned and used daily.

The only thing BlackBerry has been guilty of, in my experience, is failing in the marketplace. Their users left them, and they folded up their tent.

It's because so many BlackBerry customers have never understood once they stopped paying monthly for BIS that customer loyalty was practically meaningless. You're only worth anything to a company as long as you contribute to profitability. LOL
    02-26-18 10:58 AM
    Are you talking about BBOS phones or BB10? BB10 phones will continue to work for email and SMS after 2019. BBOS will probably stop, but they have had a good run. Most will be 10 years old at the end of 2019.
    02-26-18 12:20 PM
    Will bbm keep working on BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-18 08:28 PM
76 1234