When the AppWorld dies, will it be possible to get the apps specially made for BlackBerry from somewhere else?, not android modified apps, actual BlackBerry 10 apps???

Posted via CB10
    02-22-18 04:25 AM
    Were lucky it even lasts until 2020, not that there were many useful apps from BBW anyway.

Just buy a Droidberry
    02-22-18 05:48 AM
    Yea but still, will it be possible to still get those apps specially made for BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-22-18 05:55 AM
    Probably not unless the developers still make them available.
    02-22-18 07:42 AM
    How could they make em availabable?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-18 07:44 AM
    Yea but still, will it be possible to still get those apps specially made for BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    No.
    Rico4you likes this.
    02-22-18 07:46 AM
    How could they make em availabable?

Posted via CB10
    Any number of ways.

Post it themselves if they have a support website.

Use a fileshare like Mega or Google Drive.

The developer who made bPod (podcast manager and player) attached the bar file directly in a recent post in the thread about the app right here on these forums.

There's nothing really magical about it. It just takes a developer to be willing to make their apps available. It would also mean that users would have to agree that the apps would be used "as-is", with no expectation of future support or development.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-22-18 09:08 AM
    I don't know if BB10 will even install native BlackBerry apps from a third party site.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-22-18 09:39 AM
    I don't know if BB10 will even install native BlackBerry apps from a third party site.

As long as the bar file is available somewhere, anyone interested in using it will have the savy to sideload it. A "store" per se is not really necessary. Someone will probably step up and provide a page with links to apps. We will see WebOS part deux.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-22-18 09:47 AM
    I guess I always associated Bar files with converted APK files. Is that the native format for BB10 apps?

02-22-18 11:26 AM
    Also, at the point where people are side loading apps from unofficial Web sites, we're talking about hobbies to and enthusiasts, because it's not appropriate behavior for a work device, IMO.

02-22-18 11:27 AM
    I guess I always associated Bar files with converted APK files. Is that the native format for BB10 apps?

Yes.
    02-22-18 11:28 AM
    Bar files can be side-loaded using Sachesi , Darcy's BlackBerry Tools (DBBT), or the PlayBook/BB10 Chrome Extension (although, that method is the only one that requires the phone to be in developer mode).

Using Sachesi or DBBT, if you've blitz loaded OSs on a BB10 phone, you can load an individual bar file the same way.
    02-22-18 11:38 AM
    Also, at the point where people are side loading apps from unofficial Web sites, we're talking about hobbies to and enthusiasts, because it's not appropriate behavior for a work device, IMO.

This is true.
    02-22-18 11:38 AM
    Yes.
    Thanks. I never felt the need to install apps not in BlackBerry World on my BB10 devices, so my only experience is what I've read in these forums, and no one ever posted about needing to side load a native BB10 bar file since BBW was available!

02-22-18 11:44 AM

Yes. All the OS files are .bar files.

Converted apks are just a wrapper with a .bar extension that allowed the installation of Android apps when the runtime was locked in the early days of BB10.

Actual native bar files can't be unzipped and looked at the way the converted apks could be.
    02-22-18 11:44 AM
    Yes. All the OS files are .bar files.

Converted apks are just a wrapper with a .bar extension that allowed the installation of Android apps when the runtime was locked in the early days of BB10.

Actual native bar files can't be unzipped and looked at the way the converted apks could be.
    That makes sense, and that was the source of my confusion. I only ever heard about the wrapped ones, and. Not being a mobile app developer, I never needed more info about native BB10 files.

02-22-18 11:46 AM
    Thanks. I never felt the need to install apps not in BlackBerry World on my BB10 devices, so my only experience is what I've read in these forums, and no one ever posted about needing to side load a native BB10 bar file since BBW was available!

Mostly people sideload to install older versions of some system apps.

Also, Snap was a native bar file.
    02-22-18 11:46 AM
    Mostly people sideload to install older versions of some system apps.

Also, Snap was a native bar file.
    Got it. Thanks for the explanations and detail.

02-22-18 11:47 AM

Some people fiddle around (DPR are you still out there!) even with core OS bars such as the radio files by installing an older version over the newer etc. This is done easily with Sachesi. Bars can be found with a search quite easily for example https://apps.goodereader.com/blackbe...-with-os-10-2/
    02-22-18 11:51 AM
    Some people fiddle around (DPR are you still out there!) even with core OS bars such as the radio files by installing an older version over the newer etc. This is done easily with Sachesi. Bars can be found with a search quite easily for example https://apps.goodereader.com/blackbe...-with-os-10-2/
    Yep. I'm all for experimentation and tinkering for people who enjoy it. I tinker with application priorities in Windows all the time to optimize simulations that I run. I have just never been interested in tinkwring with my mobile phone as it's just a work tool and not really interesting to me.

02-22-18 12:01 PM
    When the AppWorld dies, will it be possible to get the apps specially made for BlackBerry from somewhere else?, not android modified apps, actual BlackBerry 10 apps???

Posted via CB10
    Free apps, many can already be found on archive sites... how long those stay active is another matter.

Paid apps or those the utilize BlackBerry verification of ad services... only if the developer chooses to do so, of if someone else is willing to "hack" these apps.

In the end, more likely that a BB10 device will be so limited without all the other services that few in 2020 is going to care (users or developers).

As it stands now, it appears developers can't make changes or updates to their apps... so really reason for them to stick around.
    02-23-18 08:27 AM
    any website to get apps speciaply made for BlackBerry 10?
    02-23-18 08:32 AM
    As it stands now, it appears developers can't make changes or updates to their apps...
    I had an update (the last one eol) this morning for Star Player so devs can still update/change. Had an update yesterday for Quickstocks also.

edit: Lately BBW has been flooded with more android ports from a dev called LineApps, so the process is still working.
    02-23-18 09:02 AM
    any website to get apps speciaply made for BlackBerry 10?
    Yes. BlackBerry World.
    02-23-18 09:37 AM
76 123 ...