What would people who know recommend as good, strong (etc) end-to-end encrypted texting app out there?
    Thanks.
    05-16-21 04:29 PM
    Haven't had a need myself, but I hear Wickr and Signal are pretty good.
    05-16-21 04:43 PM
    Signal, Telegram would be good mainstream choices, Threema as well
    05-16-21 04:55 PM
    What would people who know recommend as good, strong (etc) end-to-end encrypted texting app out there?
    Thanks.
    There are no e2e SMS/texting apps (until RCS is fully implemented). Do you mean instant messaging?

If so, WhatsApp is e2e, enjoys widespread use, but many don't like its association with Facebook.

Most suggest Signal as the best e2e app that has a reasonably-sized user base.

Telegram is seen as the best overall experience insofar as it has an enormous feature set for groups, but can also do e2e for private chats if desired.
    05-16-21 04:55 PM
    I want to ditch Google's Messages for something else
    05-16-21 05:00 PM
    I want to ditch Google's Messages for something else
    Google Messages is the only SMS app that will eventually use e2e upgraded RCS.

But as of now, no SMS or RCS apps use e2e, as the protocols don't allow for it.
    05-16-21 05:02 PM
    https://silence.im/

This app can encrypt SMS for both parties using the app. Uses signal protocol, but hasn't been updated in years. Doesn't require any data plans.
    05-16-21 05:31 PM
    https://silence.im/

This app can encrypt SMS for both parties using the app. Uses signal protocol, but hasn't been updated in years. Doesn't require any data plans.
    But if you require the encrypt/decrypt app on both sides, one might as well use an instant messenger.

I guess that explains why it's been abandoned.
    05-16-21 05:35 PM
    Agreed. The only use case would be if you are in an area with no data but still have SMS available, so it could be a useful backup tool.
    05-16-21 05:37 PM
    iMessage... not really all the brilliant, but then why is it so unique? Google wants to copy it, but antitrust scrutiny has stopped them - carrier's don't want it taken from them.

Still don't understand why BlackBerry didn't see the need to integrate BBM along with SMS/MMS. I guess they figured with BB10 and HUB+ that if everything went to the same app it would be like they were integrated. But then BBM wasn't really secure back then anyway...

I don't even know where RCS deployment is at this point... are all three carriers in the US offering same standards yet? What happens when someone's carrier is using joyn and another is using Universal Profile or another varriant of the standard? Has End-to-end Encryption moved out of beta testing (last Nov)?
    05-17-21 09:51 AM
    Just as a question: has anyone used 2go chat, and does it work?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-21 09:25 AM
    Just as a question: has anyone used 2go chat, and does it work?

Posted via CB10
    Haven't seen it mentioned before on any of the auditing sites that measure IM security. I know it was once an application aimed at BB10 users, but then BB10 users had BBM.
    10-11-21 08:42 AM