I was getting nostalgic for the old Blackberry experience, and then read about RIM shutting down its servers in January. Obviously this means no Blackberry services, and that's a large part of what I miss about it - BBM, Blackberry Travel, the unified inbox.

One thing I never experienced as a Blackberry owner was the corporate device management through BES. It occurred to me that maybe - and I'm speaking out of complete ignorance here, I've never even seen a BES install screen - maybe if some enterprising individual set up an 'open' BES instance, we could get back some of that BB functionality that was lost.

Are there any BES veterans around? Could this work?
    12-08-22 04:15 AM
    I was getting nostalgic for the old Blackberry experience, and then read about RIM shutting down its servers in January. Obviously this means no Blackberry services, and that's a large part of what I miss about it - BBM, Blackberry Travel, the unified inbox.

One thing I never experienced as a Blackberry owner was the corporate device management through BES. It occurred to me that maybe - and I'm speaking out of complete ignorance here, I've never even seen a BES install screen - maybe if some enterprising individual set up an 'open' BES instance, we could get back some of that BB functionality that was lost.

No longer possible with BB10 and prior.

Not to mention the fact that you can no longer develop any apps for those platforms, as the signing keys have been revoked and you can't get new ones.
    Last edited by conite; 12-08-22 at 08:41 AM.
    12-08-22 08:20 AM

Let me provide a more comprehensive answer as Conite is probably tired of answering the same question over and over again

The key clue is the "E" in BES/BEMS. The whole point of BEMS was control and consistency of a device fleet by an Enterprise. That means administrators, policies, etc. That model is inconsistent with the concept of an "open" BEMS as who would manage and maintain the service? Would you trust them if they weren't BlackBerry? It would need to be chargeable because no one will do it for free, let alone without a somewhat profitable market need for it. But that charging (monetizing) mechanism isn't built into BEMS on a per-device basis. How would it be done, through something like a pay gateway like PayPal? If so, how does the payment side talk to server side to let them know that a device is now subscribed?

The above isn't even taking into account what functional communications channels may have existed between a BEMS server and BlackBerry's own servers (license validation comes to mind). As BlackBerry's servers are now offline permanently and any staff who know how it all worked have left the reservation, there is no one who could advise how a BEMS instance independent of BlackBerry itself could be developed, stood up, maintained and kept secure and up to date.

BEMS is an old concept. Google and Apple have commoditized this and offer it on a free basis to everyone, which is why you can as examples load their software from their app store and remote wipe your phone. For enterprises who want to do this, there are market players who offer bespoke chargeable solutions. But "Open" and "BES" are not compatible concepts.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-08-22 09:02 AM