I have a Q5.

Every week or so, BBM starts being a resource hog; draining my battery and warming up my device.

I know that doing a reset clears it temporarily and have been doing that. But I would like a more permanent solution.

I don't use BBM, because my friends and business contacts don't use it. I do use the texting and email mostly.

So I would like to know how to do one of the following:

1. Fix BBM so that it doesn't flip out and drain my battery. (anyone have experience with this problem and try a factory reset?)

2. Turn off BBM so that it simply doesn't run at all.

3. Uninstall BBM.
    10-02-14 10:50 AM
    As far as I know, there is no way to uninstall or turn off BBM. You would have to turn off data services to disable BBM from working, but that would mean no emails or any other applications that need the internet would work.

Instead, how about we look into why BBM is doing this. If this BBM battery drain is happening once a week or so, is there a specific activity that you are performing that may be causing this? Certain times of the week, like weekends, is when my Z10 gets hot, since I am on BBM for long periods of time.

Is there something specific that you think may be happening?
    Also, could you please post the OS version that you are using, along with your carrier, so that other users may have specific information in case they have faced this issue..

LP&HG
    10-02-14 11:16 AM
    I am in Canada on Koodo, owned by Telus. I am in Ontario, so I think that means I am on the Bell towers.

Blackberry virtual expert says my os version is: 10.2.1.3247

On Blackberry world BBM page it says: Installed Version | Version 10.4.3.8

I have seen many posts on these forums about other people having this issue, and was hoping that someone had found a good fix. Maybe 10.3.1 will fix it?

I doing nothing on my device when BBM decides to start draining my battery. Often I am out of the house though, so off of the regular wifi connection.

I usually have data services off and just use Wifi where I can get it. I have a shaw account for TV and internet, and there are many shaw hotspots around town that I automatically connect to.

I got the Q5 at the end of June, by the end of July it died completely and I had to get it sent in for repairs. (used a Z10 loaner for a while then) The end result was a new Q5 sent from Blackberry. I worked great for a while, then about 2-3 weeks ago (2-3 weeks after I got the new Q5) it started up with the BBM stuff.

I'll mention again that I NEVER use BBM. I do have BB10 AppManager (use this to remove BBM?) installed on my PC so that I could get Snap to get android apps, but I have only used it once, for the specific purpose of installing Snap. With that I have put on the android version of Blizzard Authenticator, and a few games, that have since been uninstalled.
    10-02-14 11:50 AM
    No idea.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:52 AM
    My q5 never did that

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:52 AM
    Mine did this the other day!!
    BBM is draining my battery: how do I fix it?-img_20140928_201934.png
    BBM is draining my battery: how do I fix it?-img_20140928_201843.png

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    10-02-14 12:12 PM
    That is bazaar

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:30 PM
    That's crazy. It looks like an issue with BBM overall- did you have that problem on earlier OSes?

You might want to load up an earlier version of BBM (would require splitting an older OS and sideloading), reloading the OS and starting over fresh, or updating to 10.3/10.3.1

Do you by chance have any BBM connected apps? Those could be what's causing the issue... if you do, try turning off their permissions to access BBM, and do a volume button reboot.
    10-02-14 06:51 PM
    I have disconnected all apps from BBM. (I had crackberry and twitter linked at one point)

I have only had this device for about a month, and there haven't been any OS updates in that time for me.

At this point, if nobody has a known fix, I'm hoping that 10.3.1 will fix it. It doesn't drain my battery too often, so I just do a reset (volume buttons) when it does.

I don't really want to try mucking about with sideloading unless I know it's going to work; like say: deleting BBM.
    10-02-14 09:41 PM
    I installed 1 mobile market on one of my BlackBerry phones. Uninstalled it. And it still accounted for 40 percent of the daily battery use. Eventually I just cleaned the phone and started over with a security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 05:30 AM
    The simplest thing I can suggest is for you to log in on bbm from an Android or IOS device. This would log you out of BBM on your BlackBerry device.
    Now since you don't use it, I believe the Android and IOS app give you the option to simply log out from the settings.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 06:09 AM
    The simplest thing I can suggest is for you to log in on bbm from an Android or IOS device. This would log you out of BBM on your BlackBerry device.
    Now since you don't use it, I believe the Android and IOS app give you the option to simply log out from the settings.

Posted via CB10
    I don't have that option that I can see on iOS but you could always just delete the app.

Verizon Z30 running 10.3.0.1154 on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    10-03-14 07:43 AM
    I have disconnected all apps from BBM. (I had crackberry and twitter linked at one point)

I have only had this device for about a month, and there haven't been any OS updates in that time for me.

At this point, if nobody has a known fix, I'm hoping that 10.3.1 will fix it. It doesn't drain my battery too often, so I just do a reset (volume buttons) when it does.

I don't really want to try mucking about with sideloading unless I know it's going to work; like say: deleting BBM.
    Well you could always do a full OS install again through link with your carrier official.

My suggestion is to load a leak though

Verizon Z30 running 10.3.0.1154 on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    10-03-14 07:44 AM