One of the best benefits of the original PDA's was its ability to synch with MS-Outlook for calendar, contacts & memos. I have had Palms, Handsprings, and loved using my Treo680 so much I bought a used one when support was no longer available. Six years ago I switched to a Blackberry, specifically the Q10 because it had a physical keyboard. I don't care about a small display. I use it mostly for writing. However, over the years, I have lost key features such as problem-free synch through Blackberry Link, and the Dropbox app that linked to File Manager. My Q10 is falling apart, so I am pondering either a Classic (the last BB to still use the BB10 OS?) or a Key2.

My question is about BB's version of the Android OS. I have heard it's "hardened" for security, but does it support shortcuts? Is there a way to synch calendar & contacts directly with Desktop Outlook without having to use a cloud service? Can I connect it to Windows and "see" all of my folders and files on the SD and flash memories as I can with Blackberry Link?

Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I have an iPad. It has a beautiful display, and for awhile I had a bluetoothed physical keyboard. That said, it's better for viewing than for writing. Also, Windows can't "see" any of the iPad files except for pictures.
    06-10-19 02:03 PM
    It can be done yes, but will require 3rd party software that acts similar to how link works to pull it off
    06-10-19 02:20 PM
    You could most easily transition to the Classic.... just not sure what the end of the year holds for BB10 users. Few minor annoyances, or a major change and limitation in functionality (if BBID goes away). But if you get one for $50, not like you are out all that much....

1) I'd go with the KEY2.
    2) I'd be fine with cloud services to syncing desktop Outlook (live).
    3) Android allows for viewing of files on your PC, but I've found using OneDrive (or Google Drive) to be a better solution.
    06-10-19 02:58 PM
    While I don't bother with online file syncing - prefer direct file copy via USB myself - I did set up an outlook email account several years ago. I got tired of using Link to sync my calendar and contacts on my Z10. What I really wanted was to get and set calendar invites which can't be done with USB syncing only. Online outlook lets you sync everything as an exchange account. So now I can sync calendar and contacts, get and receive calendar meeting/appointment invites, and it's just much easier.

I've since moved on to a Galaxy S8, then S9, but the email account syncing stays with me using the BlackBerry Hub+ Suite.

Also, since I moved at the end last year, I won't have my previous ISP email (they aren't available where I moved to and are deleting it in a couple weeks) so, I transferred all my related accounts to the outlook email, and won't bother setting up an email with my new ISP.

Although, the Samsung Smart Switch app for Windows has an Outlook sync option that I was surprised to discover. Never had the chance to try it out.

An alternative is AkrutoSync. It's made specifically for syncing the desktop outlook on a PC to iOS, Android and Win phone devices - phones and tablets. Only thing is, it's a paid app.
    06-10-19 04:52 PM
    I dual carry XR and KEYone so Android/iOS very interchangeable to me. I use outlook app for calendar synced to both of my devices.
    06-10-19 06:54 PM
    I dual carry XR and KEYone so Android/iOS very interchangeable to me. I use outlook app for calendar synced to both of my devices.
    Exactly. Use the outlook webpage and sync the hub or the app. Still uses activesync and is great.
    06-10-19 07:40 PM
    The contact and calendar sync features are really relics of the days of POP email that didn't offer those features. Modern email providers like outlook.com will offer a full sync capability without the need for additional software: it just happens.

Should you want additional security, you could always register a domain name and then subscribe to the business version of Office 365 using that domain name. You gain additional safeguards towards your email account that a free account doesn't offer, as well as a contract for support and security compliance. The cheapest plan with email hosting from Microsoft is about $5 a month, and only gives you access to the online versions of the Office software, but it does give you full Exchange support.
    06-10-19 07:45 PM
    Thank you everyone. I should have been more specific that the email was never an issue, just the Calendar and Contact parts of the desktop version of Outlook. I especially appreciate the suggestion to look at AkrutoSync. I realize the way I like to do things is falling out of fashion, but to each his own!
    06-11-19 02:03 PM
    Thank you everyone. I should have been more specific that the email was never an issue, just the Calendar and Contact parts of the desktop version of Outlook. I especially appreciate the suggestion to look at AkrutoSync. I realize the way I like to do things is falling out of fashion, but to each his own!
    My suggestion wasn’t anything to do with email. Simply Outlook calendar online for me. The other ways are become to much trouble and unreliable.. I suppose you could use any email account to setup the calendar. I just use that email specifically as calendar account/nothing else
    06-11-19 03:59 PM
    Yeah, the only reason the email came up was because it's an Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) setup, which is based on the email account that happens to include calendar and contact syncing. The POP3 and IMAP type accounts don't do that. That was why desktop syncing between a PC and PIM device (like the Palm) ever became a thing. But once devices offered native EAS support with their email clients, then USB (or for those older devices, serial) cable syncing was no longer needed.

Of course, there are many people who still kept everything on a local desktop Outlook app. Probably used the old Outlook Express to start off with (I wish Microsoft kept that going). Email was with a POP or IMAP account through their ISP, so calendar and contacts were always just a separate thing. For many, that was fine as it kept everything local.

Bigger businesses that kept local exchange servers in-house already had email, calendar and contact syncing to their devices, like the mid-2000 BlackBerry phones running BES over those exchange servers. Then, when the iPhones began offering native EAS support in 2008, the smaller businesses dumped the extra cost of BES and dropped BlackBerry in the process. The firm I work for was one of those who dropped BES like a hot potato. I was used to that way of doing things, so I had no problem setting up an outlook.com account to sync my personal calendar and contacts between my home PC and my Z10. I had been doing that with my work exchange account to my phone since I got the Z10 in 2013.

While I was wirelessly syncing my work account to my Z10, I did use desktop syncing to sync my home PC Outlook contacts and calendar to my Z10 for the first two years I had it, as I did with my previous Torch 9800 and my Pearl 8100 before that. But, once I set up the outlook.com account, and copied over all my contacts over to it, it made things so much easier. Now I don't have to connect the phone up all the time just to sync.

The suggestion for the Office365 account for email was in case you were worried about security. My firm moved the exchange email service out of our in-house server and on to Office365 a couple of years ago. We kept the same email domain name, and all our office contacts and calendars carried over. As stated earlier. it is a paid service, but you get full security with it and don't have the same worries you expressed with using a free email service (which outlook.com is).

As I stated, I personally have no issues using outlook.com. I'm not a highly secretive person, and don't really think my bill due dates or an appointment of when I have a parent/teacher meeting at my son's school will be of any use to someone. Besides, I still use desktop Outlook program and just have it sync the outlook.com account between the PC, my phone (a Galaxy S9 now), and my Fire HD8 tablet. I just think it's a better option than using Gmail. While I'm sure Microsoft does some data mining, it just isn't as pervasive as Google is about it.
    06-11-19 05:49 PM
    Of course, there are many people who still kept everything on a local desktop Outlook app. Probably used the old Outlook Express to start off with (I wish Microsoft kept that going). Email was with a POP or IMAP account through their ISP, so calendar and contacts were always just a separate thing. For many, that was fine as it kept everything local.
    Yeah I don't get the Windows "Mail" app in Windows 10..... It's almost like they needed a bigger gulf between Mail and full Outlook (which I know use).

Outlook Express was a great tool, used it with Email but also with old newsgroups.... hated to see it go.
    06-12-19 07:20 AM
    Hey folks. I am set up with BlackBerry Blend I have a BB Classic OS-10 syncing with Outlook running Windows. A few months ago, the calendar sync stopped working and now the contacts sync isn't working either. After years of reliable service!

Should I reinstall the desktop blend application? Is there something to do on the phone itself to "clean up" the phone's OS?

Thanks.
    09-16-19 06:54 AM
    Hey folks. I am set up with BlackBerry Blend I have a BB Classic OS-10 syncing with Outlook running Windows. A few months ago, the calendar sync stopped working and now the contacts sync isn't working either. After years of reliable service!

Should I reinstall the desktop blend application? Is there something to do on the phone itself to "clean up" the phone's OS?

Thanks.
    Members have responded in your other thread

https://forums.crackberry.com/ask-qu...sktop-1176300/
    09-16-19 11:27 AM
    One of the best benefits of the original PDA's was its ability to synch with MS-Outlook for calendar, contacts & memos. I have had Palms, Handsprings, and loved using my Treo680 so much I bought a used one when support was no longer available. Six years ago I switched to a Blackberry, specifically the Q10 because it had a physical keyboard. I don't care about a small display. I use it mostly for writing. However, over the years, I have lost key features such as problem-free synch through Blackberry Link, and the Dropbox app that linked to File Manager. My Q10 is falling apart, so I am pondering either a Classic (the last BB to still use the BB10 OS?) or a Key2.

My question is about BB's version of the Android OS. I have heard it's "hardened" for security, but does it support shortcuts? Is there a way to synch calendar & contacts directly with Desktop Outlook without having to use a cloud service? Can I connect it to Windows and "see" all of my folders and files on the SD and flash memories as I can with Blackberry Link?

Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I have an iPad. It has a beautiful display, and for awhile I had a bluetoothed physical keyboard. That said, it's better for viewing than for writing. Also, Windows can't "see" any of the iPad files except for pictures.
    Hey Treo,

Since you mentioned that you're considering a Classic too, I thought I'd chime in and mention that both it and the Passport (which is the last BB10 device) can sync Outlook content through Blackberry Link. As a side note, it's also possible to "see" all folders and files on the SD and flash memory with any BB10 device without the use of Link at all, and to enable Dropbox sync using a similar method if you are interested/so inclined.
    09-17-19 08:12 PM
    Hey Treo,

Since you mentioned that you're considering a Classic too, I thought I'd chime in and mention that both it and the Passport (which is the last BB10 device) can sync Outlook content through Blackberry Link. As a side note, it's also possible to "see" all folders and files on the SD and flash memory with any BB10 device without the use of Link at all, and to enable Dropbox sync using a similar method if you are interested/so inclined.
    Which of the storage platforms were dropped for BB10 and which continue? Box, Dropbox or any others?
    09-17-19 08:15 PM
    Which of the storage platforms were dropped for BB10 and which continue? Box, Dropbox or any others?
    Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive native apps were dropped by the manufacturers, not by Blackberry Limited. MEGA still works and the Android versions of the other platforms work as well.

However, I was referring to use of mapped drives and local computer-based sync clients, although if you map your Box/Dropbox/whatever and use Remote File Access via Link that will also serve.
    09-17-19 08:49 PM
    Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive native apps were dropped by the manufacturers, not by Blackberry Limited. MEGA still works and the Android versions of the other platforms work as well.

However, I was referring to use of mapped drives and local computer-based sync clients, although if you map your Box/Dropbox/whatever and use Remote File Access via Link that will also serve.
    Does it matter if manufacturer or BB has dropped the native app? I always thought dropped, regardless, means dropped as in no longer allowed supported/functioning as future iterations happen. At some point, it breaks and loses some or all functionality.

The mapped driving and other backup systems use compatibility of your desktop as client if my understanding is correct?
    09-17-19 09:31 PM
    Does it matter if manufacturer or BB has dropped the native app? I always thought dropped, regardless, means dropped as in no longer allowed supported/functioning as future iterations happen. At some point, it breaks and loses some or all functionality.

The mapped driving and other backup systems use compatibility of your desktop as client if my understanding is correct?
    It doesn't matter in terms of functionality, but I often find it helpful to clarify whose fault it is that things no longer work, as it prevents reinforcing misconceptions about "Blackberry turning things off" or "end of support" or similar.

The mapped drives and Remote File Access do require use of a desktop/laptop yes. I wouldn't call them the client per se but they are needed.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-19 10:10 PM

Doesn't matter which way the hinges go once the door is sealed shut.

To run Link on your computer, one needs to seriously compromise its security by enabling SMB v1.

https://www.extrahop.com/company/blo...ut-down-smbv1/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-17-19 10:17 PM
    Doesn't matter which way the hinges go once the door is sealed shut.

To run Link on your computer, one needs to seriously compromise its security by enabling SMB v1.

https://www.extrahop.com/company/blo...ut-down-smbv1/
    This so-called security compromise relates to ransomware, which can and does strike computers that have never used SMB v1. The only way to protect against ransomware is comprehensive backups, which means that re-enabling SMBv1 (for a defined purpose, such as this one) presents no greater vulnerability than general Internet use.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    09-17-19 11:12 PM
    This so-called security compromise relates to ransomware, which can and does strike computers that have never used SMB v1. The only way to protect against ransomware is comprehensive backups, which means that re-enabling SMBv1 (for a defined purpose, such as this one) presents no greater vulnerability than general Internet use.
    Ok, so it's not a big deal either. Ok. We'll add that to TLS 1.2 and below, and outdated apps.

BB10 is looking more secure every day.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-17-19 11:15 PM
    Ok, so it's not a big deal either. Ok. We'll add that to TLS 1.2 and below, and outdated apps.

BB10 is looking more secure every day.
    As is the Crackberry old guard's commitment to platform neutrality.
    09-17-19 11:23 PM
    As is the Crackberry old guard's commitment to platform neutrality.
    Respecting people's desire to use whatever works for them is not to be confused with an honest discussion about security.
    09-17-19 11:29 PM
    Respecting people's desire to use whatever works for them is not to be confused with an honest discussion about security.
    True. However, this is not an honest discussion about security, as you are implying that there is somehow greater vulnerability by re-enabling a service necessary for functionality of people using a device that works for them (and which many legacy business apps require and use) than there is by not enabling that service.

That is false.
    09-17-19 11:31 PM
    True. However, this is not an honest discussion about security, as you are implying that there is somehow greater vulnerability by re-enabling a service necessary for functionality of people using a device that works for them (and which many legacy business apps require and use) than there is by not enabling that service.

That is false.

The fact that I recommend a browser with TLS 1.3, recommend against using Link, and recommend not using abandoned apps, is prudent advice.
    09-17-19 11:33 PM
27 12