Hi,

I had massive problems with my applications on my Blackberry Z10 (STL 100-2) after I once used the flight mode. The battery was warm, some apps did not start. I decided to reboot the phone and it was just stuck on the blackberry logo (not the loading circle). I tried everything, pushing the power button for 10 seconds, battery pull, connecting to the PC with USB with and without the battery, loading on the wall charger for one hour, then taking out the battery for a millisecond, while the phone was charging and then putting the battery back and and and. The phone was stuck in the loop. If I tried to shut it off, the LED was red for couple of seconds and then it showed the BlackBerry Logo again, for hours. Then I just left it like that for hours but it got so warm that I did not want to risk the motherboard to melt.

I did not want to factory reset the divice, since I did not have a backup of my stuff. The most important were my Remember app notes.
    Finally I decided to do a software update as I actually thought it wouldn't do anything to my data. I visited the BB website and after one hour my phone booted but all data was gone.

I do not know if I removed my data by accident while pressing the power button for too long or whatever or if it was the update. However I really need my Remember App notes (they were not synched mit Evernote or something like that). I also never used an SD Card.
    The new Software Version is 10.2.1.2977 (OS 10.2.1.3247). I have already tried it with couple of recovery tools like PC Inspector File Recovery however it did not work since my phone is not recognized as a flash or physical mass storage device. In my computer it is shown as networkaddress so non of the recovery tools is able to access the internal memory. The mass storage mode is by the way only for the inserted sd cards...

Is there a possibily to recover the notes despite the update (or 10 seconds reset)? Please help!!!!

Many prethanks!!!
    08-08-14 04:31 AM
    If you reloaded software your notes are gone. Sorry. You really should use an SD card which keeps things a bit safer. How about opening Evernote on the pc?
    Download the app and sign in. Maybe your data files are there? Gosh I hope so for your sake. Terrible thing to be locked out of your device and lose it all.

Sent from my sexy and sleek Z30. Black is back, baby
    08-08-14 06:11 AM
    thank you for a quick answer!
    well it was not the reload option in BlackBerry Link. As mentioned I used the update from the BlackBerry website and there was no note about loosing the data. I dont think that the notes are in Evernote because I am not registered there. But I still can try, who knows.
    And there is really no possibility to access the internal storage with recovery tools?
    08-08-14 09:30 AM
    is all data going to be saved automatically on a new sd card?
    08-08-14 09:36 AM
    Sorry but I think you have lost everything..... at least up to your last LINK Backup.

I don't use Remember Notes... but i believe that all "notes" data was saved within the App. No options to pick a file location or doing a backup to the cloud.

Fire Chest Backup is a great backup tool.... for the future.

REALLY wish BlackBerry had expanded BlackBerry Protect, instead of taking away features. In this day and time a computer should not be needed to backup your BlackBerry.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    08-08-14 09:48 AM
    I updated (not reload) the software using the BlackBerry website but it required to start BlackBerry Link. Today I have found an interesting folder: Application Loader (User-AppData (hidden folder)-Local-Research in Motion-Application Loader...). There are two big files, format .bar and .signed. According to the time it was saved at it was BEFORE the update had been started. I read somewhere that by updating a BlackBerry with BB Link the phone system will be backuped automatically. So it could probably be the backup files. However it is not the usual file format .bbb or .ipd. and these are two files.

Any Ideas what these files are? How can I open them?

I really can't believe that my data is gone because it was not a reload, it was just an update. The website also says:
    "Data and settings on your device before you begin updating your software will be on your device when the software update is complete."

My files have to be somewhere.

For the future - is there an option in settings to save all data on the sd card? I couldn't find anything like that
    08-10-14 05:55 AM
    For the future? Yes... not free but "BackUp Pro" saves every type of your data (Calendar entries, Contacts, Remember, even sms, and more) to a location of your choice: SD card, DropBox...
    It's worth its money.
    Someone has written in the forums, that remember notes are saved by Link as/in the phone settings...
    So a restore with link "with restoring the settings" restores remember entries... I never tested that myself.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    08-10-14 06:04 AM
    For the future ==== in the future I will only use an sd card for my data not the internal memory anymore. It's safer.

I don't have the restoring settings option. I think it only works if you have a backup file. I don't.

By the way, I just found out that Windows 7 64 bit (I am using it) has problems with recognizing some devices. I will try to recover my data with Ubuntu OS and Recuva and post the results later.
    However it still does not explain why my BB Z10 does not have the mass storage option if no sd card is inserted.
    Last edited by RobBoes; 08-11-14 at 09:01 AM.
    08-10-14 02:06 PM
    By the way, don't encrypt the mediacard! The decription key is saved on the device!! So if wiped, key is wiped too and you can't read the media card!

Your choice, but don't encrypt! I did it once on Bold, 1.5 years of fotos lost! The card was encripted.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    RobBoes likes this.
    08-10-14 02:44 PM
    Yes I wouldn't encrypt the SD card either. I've only done it for the internal storage.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-10-14 04:39 PM
    Not uncommon for a card to fail... at least enough that BB10 won't use it. But you might still be able to recover some data.... if the card isn't corrupted. So I'm also in the don't encrypt the media card camp.
    08-11-14 02:02 PM
    I've tried several OSs on different computers. I couldn't access the internal memory.
    Is there probably an app or a computer programm which enables access to internal memory???
    08-11-14 02:48 PM