I've never had a smartphone before and I chose a Blackberry because I wanted a phone with a proper keypad. But I'm totally confused. I've set up a Blackberry ID, and replied to the verification e-mail (via my desktop PC) but my phone keeps telling me to enter the username associated with the smartphone. But I've entered the correct username and it won't accept it. I haven't even gotten close to using my phone for e-mail yet. All the technical support is so technical I don't understand it. And I never managed to even get close to speaking to a real person when I phoned BB support. I could cry.
    05-24-18 03:58 AM
    Was it a new phone? What kind of BlackBerry phone specifically?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-24-18 04:26 AM
    Hi SpARTacus, It's a Blackberry Bold 9790. After spending all day and most of yesterday struggling with it, I've now discovered that my Virgin mobile contract doesn't support Blackberry phones. I'm so upset, to have wasted all that time and money, and most of all because I really like the look and feel of the phone. I guess it makes most sense to return it, as I need to keep my existing number and can't risk the same thing happening again.
    05-24-18 10:19 AM
    Hi SpARTacus, It's a Blackberry Bold 9790. After spending all day and most of yesterday struggling with it, I've now discovered that my Virgin mobile contract doesn't support Blackberry phones. I'm so upset, to have wasted all that time and money, and most of all because I really like the look and feel of the phone. I guess it makes most sense to return it, as I need to keep my existing number and can't risk the same thing happening again.
    You need to return this phone (if you can) and buy a modern smartphone.
    skrble likes this.
    05-24-18 10:23 AM
    ;-) I think you're probably right. But they all seem to have touch screen keyboards nowadays. I'm too old to feel comfortable with touch screen typing.
    05-24-18 10:33 AM
    ;-) I think you're probably right. But they all seem to have touch screen keyboards nowadays. I'm too old to feel comfortable with touch screen typing.
    If that is the case, you have really only one option and that is a keyONE
    05-24-18 11:09 AM
    Brookie229: And will my Virgin contract be compatible with a KeyONE when it's not compatible with other Blackberry phones? Probably not. I need to keep the same number. And don't know what's best to do.
    05-24-18 11:44 AM
    Brookie229: And will my Virgin contract be compatible with a KeyONE when it's not compatible with other Blackberry phones? Probably not. I need to keep the same number. And don't know what's best to do.
    Only pre-2012 BlackBerry phones required a special plan.
    05-24-18 12:42 PM
    Even so, I'm looking for options to keep the phone I have rather than sinking in deeper. Besides, it's a nice colour.
    05-24-18 01:01 PM
    Even so, I'm looking for options to keep the phone I have rather than sinking in deeper. Besides, it's a nice colour.
    Well, to use an old BBOS phone like the Bold, you need a carrier that can offer a legacy BIS plan.
    05-24-18 01:06 PM
    I'm sorry. As I said, I'm new to smartphones. I don't understand what you're talking about. What's a legacy BIS plan?
    05-24-18 01:11 PM
    I'm sorry. As I said, I'm new to smartphones. I don't understand what you're talking about. What's a legacy BIS plan?
    It's exactly that. You need a BlackBerry BIS plan from your carrier for an old BBOS device. You have to call and ask them if they still have one, and if so, how much.
    05-24-18 01:30 PM
    This is like getting a new car which drives on a lead-petrol without the additives being still on sale.

I strongly advice you to go for K1 or wait few weeks for the upcoming K2. 9790 is definitely NOT a smartphone these days, not mentioning how complicated this whole setup is. Ask in Virgin for a K1/K2 compatibility and get rid of this once excellent, nowadays useless brick. Fanboys are pleased to ignore my post, I am not going to discuss "how much better the BlackBerry phones are over the actual production" as they usually don't even try to be objective.
    05-24-18 01:54 PM
    As mentioned above, wait and go for a KEY2 which will be announced very shortly and should have a large comfortable keyboard
    05-24-18 05:08 PM
    Sadly I can't. But thanks for the advice. Am going to USA on a book tour in two weeks time which was why I was trying to upgrade my non-smart phone to one that will work in the US on the same number. But I've decided to return the horrid Blackberry to the seller and have nothing more to do with Blackberries in the future. It's been a hugely disappointing experience.
    05-24-18 05:25 PM
    Sadly I can't. But thanks for the advice. Am going to USA on a book tour in two weeks time which was why I was trying to upgrade my non-smart phone to one that will work in the US on the same number. But I've decided to return the horrid Blackberry to the seller and have nothing more to do with Blackberries in the future. It's been a hugely disappointing experience.
    If the person selling it to you marketed it as a "great new smartphone" then they misrepresented the situation. It is an older BlackBerry. I don't suggest you let this experience soil your potential opinion about other newer BlackBerry phones. Think of it as if someone had tried to sell you a brand new iPhone3 (latest model number is now iPhone10).

Out of curiosity, what was/is the non-smart phone you were/are trying to upgrade away from?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-24-18 06:52 PM
    The experience would be drastically different with any BlackBerry made in the last 5 years.

You bought an ancient piece of obsolete tech.
    05-24-18 07:02 PM
    A KEYone BlackBerry has a completely different operating system than the old BlackBerrys. KEYone has the same operating system as other android phones, like Samsung. But it also has a wonderful physical keyboard. Of course there will be a learning curve, but that will be the same with any modern smartphone you purchase. And there is lots of help to be found because this is a current model.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-24-18 10:20 PM
    Thanks very much everyone for your advice. It's been really helpful. I'll have a good look at KEYone before going for anything else, and will seriously consider ways that I can wait for the KEY2, though as I said, I need to use a phone on my forthcoming US trip. SpARTacus: my existing phone is a Samsung GT-E1190 so a museum piece compared to the 9790 which seemed ultra-modern by comparison! No, they didn't try to sell it to me as a new phone, but they certainly should have explained that there would be complications, even if they didn't know that I wouldn't be able to use my Virgin SIM card in it. But they've agreed to take it back, so I'll return it today. Thanks again.
    Sigewif likes this.
    05-25-18 03:29 AM
    My wife went from a Bold to a Blackberry Classic and then to a KeyOne with zero issues. And she has zero tech savvy. You're not going to find this difficult. Good luck on your tour!
    05-25-18 07:56 AM
    Thanks very much everyone for your advice. It's been really helpful. I'll have a good look at KEYone before going for anything else, and will seriously consider ways that I can wait for the KEY2, though as I said, I need to use a phone on my forthcoming US trip. SpARTacus: my existing phone is a Samsung GT-E1190 so a museum piece compared to the 9790 which seemed ultra-modern by comparison! No, they didn't try to sell it to me as a new phone, but they certainly should have explained that there would be complications, even if they didn't know that I wouldn't be able to use my Virgin SIM card in it. But they've agreed to take it back, so I'll return it today. Thanks again.
    One more thing is that you need a phone that is compatible with the network that your phone company uses. Someone here correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network which is CDMA.
    So even being "a rookie" ( in your words) ask to confirm this. Then be sure to buy a phone that is compatible.
    Another option is to transfer your number to another carrier. Maybe that sounds "too techie." However, a phone company wanting your business would be glad to help with it.
    There are ads for the CDMA KEYone on Amazon.
    Hello out there: Has anyone else here at CB used a KEYᵒⁿᵉ on Virgin Mobile?
    05-25-18 12:27 PM
    That's really kind of you; thanks. Yes, I've been thinking of transferring away from Virgin and have been making enquiries about transferring the number. Apparently I just need a 'pac code' from Virgin. Thanks again and have a good weekend.
    05-25-18 01:44 PM