Hello there,

I've got a new BB Classic one year ago and at first I was rather excited about it. All worked fine, besides the "99% of the world use whatsapp, but there is no genuine client any longer" things. But that was ok, I just caried on. In the last days though, I've become more and more disappointed by my device...

At first I began to hit my monthly mobile-data limit faster and faster. After 20 days...10 days...three days! Then I turned the mobile data completely off. Eventually I found the problem to be the online addressbook syncing the same contacts again and again. I had to cleanup about 5000 double entries.

Suddenly, I've got a message to update Amazon stuff. Nothing big. I thought... I hit ok, the installer started and somehow eventually seemed to do something. The next day: "Amazon update available". One day later "Heyo, guess what? Amazon update available" And on the fourth day: "Ok, now for something completely different. How about an Amazon update?" I was about to use my BB as a beer mat, when I found a forum thread telling me to manually execute a downloaded file. Hm, who downloaded it? Maybe this was the mobile data issue? Anyway, installed manually and everything was fine. For about a month, when suddenly "Whoohoo, missed me? It's me, the amazon update!"

Then the battery began to behave a bit odd. It drained a bit. Then more and more and at the end I was down to battery saving mode before I could unlock the car. I began to read and found another topic telling me that the display just misbehaves and the battery is actually fully charged. So I just let the device run with 0% and it worked. By the time, the indicator became okish again. It's still not funny not to know whether the 5% mean "Hey no problem, I will hold for five hours because the 5% are not really accurate" or "Well, I will turn off in about 30 minutes"

Now, after latest update, the device says 15% battery and then turns off immediately showing the red battery image when the battery is totally empty while I type a message.

By the way, no matter what I choose, I can't turn that battery saving mode off. When I turn it down to 1% it turns on at 1%, but no matter if I disable it, there is no difference.

At the moment it's here beside me on my desk when it suddenly said "Device turning off." I connected the charger, pressed the power button and the display came back on. Hm, I type along, could open applications and then ... completely off with only LED flashing.

Right now this is just an annoying piece of hardware with a great physical keyboard. But that's about it.

I wonder if this is a "Ok latest BB sucks but if you are a fanboy, just spend hours and hours fixing your phone" or is there a way to overcome all of this?
    05-28-18 06:23 AM
    First of all, you can still get WhatsApp on your Classic. There are many threads on how to do this here
    velkod likes this.
    05-28-18 08:51 AM
    Yip have whatsapp on my passport and it runs fine. I have also cut down on the number of android apps as I noticed they heat the phone up and use a lot of battery.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    05-28-18 09:35 AM
    You guys are making regret wanting to get a Classic
    05-28-18 08:59 PM
    Get a KEYone...... PKB and you don't have to rely on Amazon for the apps.
    05-28-18 09:17 PM
    Get a KEYone...... PKB and you don't have to rely on Amazon for the apps.
    Couldn’t you sideload the Apk files
    05-28-18 09:18 PM
    Couldn’t you sideload the Apk files
    BB10 is stuck on ART 4.3 and minimum requirements for many apps increased to at least ART 4.4 with Android Oreo 8.1 being expected standard on KEYtwo and the KEYone currently on Android Nougat 7.1 and hopefully upgraded soon.

If you don’t already own the BB10 device and want SOME apps, don’t waste your money on a Classic or any other BB10 device. If you’re sideloading Android type apps, why don’t you buy an old PRIV or DTEK? At this point, a KEYone will be a pretty good deal used, once KEYtwo hits retail channels.
    05-29-18 10:25 AM
    I’ll keep that in mind. I may just wait.
    05-29-18 10:56 AM
    BB10 is stuck on ART 4.3 and minimum requirements for many apps increased to at least ART 4.4 with Android Oreo 8.1 being expected standard on KEYtwo and the KEYone currently on Android Nougat 7.1 and hopefully upgraded soon.

If you don’t already own the BB10 device and want SOME apps, don’t waste your money on a Classic or any other BB10 device. If you’re sideloading Android type apps, why don’t you buy an old PRIV or DTEK? At this point, a KEYone will be a pretty good deal used, once KEYtwo hits retail channels.
    Used silver KEYones can be really cheap, it's not even worth getting anything else at this point
    05-29-18 01:45 PM
    Used silver KEYones can be really cheap, it's not even worth getting anything else at this point
    Hmm I’ll look into that. Thank you so much!
    05-29-18 01:52 PM
    Hmm I’ll look into that. Thank you so much!
    Do try to get one with a build date later than 20171007 (July 10) so you avoid any chance of screen popping off. Unless seller proves that his unit has been fixed.
    05-30-18 01:24 AM
  12. DisappointedBeyondImagination's Avatar
    Ok, so thank you for ten answers on "How do I get whatsapp, which I already have" but not a single one on "There are tons of other problems, really making me go back to Android"
    05-30-18 06:29 AM
    Ok, so thank you for ten answers on "How do I get whatsapp, which I already have" but not a single one on "There are tons of other problems, really making me go back to Android"
    All the references to KEYone are what did make us go to or go back to Android. The KEYone is Android OS device.
    05-30-18 11:47 AM
    All the references to KEYone are what did make us go to or go back to Android. The KEYone is Android OS device.
    You guys helped me out a lot on this topic alone. Gonna pick up a KeyONE soon
    05-30-18 11:48 AM
    Have you reloaded you OS.... you have a number of issues that aren't related. I'd start with a fresh install of the OS and see if that doesn't fix many of them. An autoloader doesn't take long to run, and if done right even resetting up shouldn't take too lone.

But for the most part... I'd say go back to Android. Only people that should use BB10 are ones that it meets their needs, and they are a tiny minority of what was a tiny niche to begin with. BB10 is still a buggy and immature OS in my view and most all the hardware is based on 2012 technology....

Are you really expecting people to talk you into staying?
    the_boon likes this.
    05-30-18 11:59 AM
    Just a few things based on the OP.

Is wi-fi not an option? At work or home? That will cut down the mobile data usage tremendously.

Don't know why Amazon wants to update constantly. Sounds like the update is not downloading and/or installing properly. On my Z10, Amazon only updated twice since the beginning of this year. Not counting the update after the last OS update autoload (which still includes the older Amazon App store version).
    05-30-18 12:02 PM
    Just a few things based on the OP.

Is wi-fi not an option? At work or home? That will cut down the mobile data usage tremendously.

Don't know why Amazon wants to update constantly. Sounds like the update is not downloading and/or installing properly. On my Z10, Amazon only updated twice since the beginning of this year. Not counting the update after the last OS update autoload (which still includes the older Amazon App store version).
    A reload of the OS might have help the Amazon issue as well. Could be conflicting or it registering any previous updates.
    05-30-18 12:12 PM