Hi,

For work I needed a phone without a camera and was given a blackberry classic (camera disabled). I have some basic questions/clarifications.

I have a Mac running Mojave. I'm correct that Blackberry Link does not work? I found a github project but could not get it to work. Any workaround to sync with the mac or even just customize on the computer (delete apps etc).

I have very weak cell reception at home. I was able to setup wifi calling. To save battery power does it make sense to turn mobile internet off ? Or is the phone clever enough to do it on its own? Or is it a negligible difference?

I have the blackberry charger 5v 750mA output. Is there a faster charger? Can the phone handle more? Could I use a stronger ipad charger for example? My guess is no!

Contact ring profiles: Here my scenarios: normal profile Person A rings ; Silent Profile Person A silent; Bedtime Profile Person A rings.
    I customized the ringer for the person but am I right that I cannot set different ringer rules for different profiles? So if I set a Contact Ringer it will ALWAYS override the profile settings?

I wanted to check out the amazon app store and allowed some crazy permissions since I thought I could deactivate them later. Now those are greyed out. According to the forums I cannot remove the app or the permissions? It seems insane that I would not be able to revoke permissions.

Thank you for all the help,

Philly
    06-01-19 01:07 PM
    Hi,

For work I needed a phone without a camera and was given a blackberry classic (camera disabled). I have some basic questions/clarifications.

I have a Mac running Mojave. I'm correct that Blackberry Link does not work? I found a github project but could not get it to work. Any workaround to sync with the mac or even just customize on the computer (delete apps etc).
    I'm not sure about Mac, there seemed to be a work around for Windows though on here somewhere.

I have very weak cell reception at home. I was able to setup wifi calling. To save battery power does it make sense to turn mobile internet off ? Or is the phone clever enough to do it on its own? Or is it a negligible difference?
    The best way to find out is probably to run an experiment yourself.

I have the blackberry charger 5v 750mA output. Is there a faster charger? Can the phone handle more? Could I use a stronger ipad charger for example? My guess is no!
    I'd just use the one you have, the slower you charge the better for battery health.

Contact ring profiles: Here my scenarios: normal profile Person A rings ; Silent Profile Person A silent; Bedtime Profile Person A rings.
    Is this how it is right now, or is this how you'd like it?

I wanted to check out the amazon app store and allowed some crazy permissions since I thought I could deactivate them later. Now those are greyed out. According to the forums I cannot remove the app or the permissions? It seems insane that I would not be able to revoke permissions.

Thank you for all the help,

Philly
    Don't know what happened, but I can toggle my Amazon permissions on or off as I please.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-19 08:59 PM
    With wifi-calling. Does your phone have choices, such as "wifi preferred," "wifi only"? My experience, in similar a situation, is with cell network off (wifi-calling only using wifi) you will save a noticeable amount of battery.
    06-02-19 07:40 AM
    I haven't found a mac workaround but I also haven't researched it that much.
    Regarding battery power, I'll have to run more experiments but at the moment I'll try to just turn cell radio off. It must use more power and why have the extra radio waves if they are of no use.
    As for the contact ring profiles. I think that right now the contact ring overrides all "situation profiles" which is not what I want. I was hoping to be able to further customize. Where in my contact I could determine for each situation how it should behave. But that is fairly involved.

I read up on the amazon app and it seems to be a common issue in that once activated one cannot deactivate it. Through the forums I did find a workaround in that I activated parental controls and could deactivate amazon store that way. I find it creepy and unnecessary for Amazon App store to have permanent access to my location and all information on my phone. Case by case maybe but permanent, nope.

Thank you for your input
    06-02-19 09:06 AM
    It does have that wifi preferred. I was curious if I had that activated if it would just automatically turn cell radio off. It does not, I noticed it would still look for a cell network. I'll see if I can train myself to turn it on when I'm out and about. But just having it on wifi is fine as a default since like most people home and work I'm on the wifi anyway.
    06-02-19 09:08 AM
    As for the contact ring profiles. I think that right now the contact ring overrides all "situation profiles" which is not what I want. I was hoping to be able to further customize. Where in my contact I could determine for each situation how it should behave. But that is fairly involved.

Thank you for your input
    When by the custom notifications page, choosing a custom ringtone and setting "Sound" to "Profile Setting" is probably the best you can do.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-19 11:09 PM