Hi folks,

I've been a BlackBerry user for the last 10 years however just finally discovered the crackberry neighbourhood so hello!

Okay, so I'm currently using z10 and although love it, I'm thinking about upgrading to a z30 over the next few months. I'm also in the market for a tablet and a playbook seems the logical way to go. My question is a potentially stupid one but having searched the Internet for the last few days I'm at a loss to find the answer.

If I was to purchase a playbook and z30 can I back up data from my current z10 to restore onto the new z30 using that playbook? Every answer seems to point towards needing a PC to carry out this task and as I don't own a PC I was trying to find an alternative.

Your answers would be greatly appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 12:08 PM
    Sorry you need Blackberry link on your pc to back up an restore,

and welcome to CB
    02-06-15 12:59 PM
    I would probably stay away from the Playbook unless you want it for media purposes only--it is too dated and definitely will NOT do what you want it to do regarding the usage with z30 or z10.
    02-06-15 01:24 PM
    You don't need the playbook for that.
    There is an App, Firechest backup, that helps here... you backup the Z10 and restore on Z30... "everything"... even Remember entries, which is not possible with Link!
    The Pro versio is even more exhaustive:

Backup and restore using playbook-img_20150206_202810.png

Backup and restore using playbook-img_20150206_202814.png

But the free version does the job, too.

I don't know what about App data (every App has its savings)... but every thing above (screenshots) is possible.

EDIT: did I say "free"?? I think Firechest BackUp costs about 2 bucks and BackUp Pro costs about 5... sorry, I forgot and did not check BBW now.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    02-06-15 01:30 PM
    You don't need the playbook for that.
    There is an App, Firechest backup, that helps here... you backup the Z10 and restore on Z30... "everything"... even Remember entries, which is not possible with Link!
    The Pro versio is even more exhaustive:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150206_202810.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	332233

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150206_202814.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	332234

But the free version does the job, too.

I don't know what about App data (every App has its savings)... but every thing above (screenshots) is possible.

EDIT: did I say "free"?? I think Firechest BackUp costs about 2 bucks and BackUp Pro costs about 5... sorry, I forgot and did not check BBW now.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.

Ditto ^^^^^^^

i use this as well its excellent app,i have the pro one.
    FireChestApps likes this.
    02-06-15 01:41 PM
    the first question you should ask is what data do you need to backup and restore!!!!.....docs, music, video and pictures can be moved using your microsd card...emails and contacts dont require back up and restore...emails sit on your email server and your contacts are attached to your email meaning they are backed up to your email addresses

BBM contacts are backed up and restored automatically...if you have stuff saved in the remember app, just link your evernote account to the remember app and everything you save to your evernote wont require manual backing up....its automatic

the BlackBerry Device Switch is another option that can help you grab a few other stuff...
    02-06-15 01:46 PM
    Hi gang and cheers for the replies!

I think I forgot that there's apps and features out there that do the hard work for me... the last time I switched devices that weren't lost or broken it was before the days of apps when the only way to do it was to backup/restore etc.

Think I'm settled on the z30 and will look at the apps etc that you've mentioned. will let you know how I get on. The playbook would fundamentally be for browsing and use as an e reader so due to the price being really low at the moment and reviews being generally positive think I may purchase the two. Big supporter of blackberry too and it's a shame they're not doing to well at the moment .

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 02:25 PM
    Hi gang and cheers for the replies!

I think I forgot that there's apps and features out there that do the hard work for me... the last time I switched devices that weren't lost or broken it was before the days of apps when the only way to do it was to backup/restore etc.

Think I'm settled on the z30 and will look at the apps etc that you've mentioned. will let you know how I get on. The playbook would fundamentally be for browsing and use as an e reader so due to the price being really low at the moment and reviews being generally positive think I may purchase the two. Big supporter of blackberry too and it's a shame they're not doing to well at the moment .

Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    Just to expound on the Playbook---the browsing will be slow (compared to the z30 and new tablets) and although the Playbook makes a good eReader (I use Playepub Book Reader app in Blackberry World store), it is heavy to hold. This tablet is built like a tank compared to other newer devices. I still use mine, but since I got my Passport, I rarely use it for browsing. For me, I use Kalemsoft Media Player, hook it up hdmi to my 60" TV and watch videos. It works beautifully for that and also Nobex Radio app in BBW is great for radio, music etc. The speakers on this device are the BEST even by todays standards. Anyway, good luck with your choices!
    02-06-15 02:36 PM