I just bought a blackberry classic- and it is the best phone I have ever used. But I can't USE IT! the IMEI says its not supported by t-mobile, as it doesn't use extended range lte. Is there any way around this? Or is there any BB I can buy that would be supported? I can't send a lot, especially since it will only work until January.

It half-works.. I can occasionally get it connected to LTE long enough to send a text, but it drops it almost immediately. Would love any help.
    bhastings18 likes this.
    08-03-21 06:15 PM
    What model Classic did you get?

There are some that won't work with T-Mobile.... but too T-Mobile is ending support and activations, for devices that don't support current VoLTE standards, and that all BB10 devices. If you want a BlackBerry, you'll need to buy one of the "newer" (relative term) Android ones... but again you need to match the model with T-Mobile's network - make sure the bands all matchup.

Problem is none of these are especially cheap at this point... nothing close to what you might have gotten a Classic for. Might find a PRIV for just under $100.
    08-04-21 08:27 AM
    No BBOS or BB10 phones will be supported by major carriers in the US by early next year (the networks they connect to will be gone), so all 3 of the major carriers, as well as their MVNOs, will no longer activate devices that are due to lose support. If you have an existing BBOS or BB10, and you remove the SIM and put it in another phone, and then put it back, the carrier will suspend your account, and there's no guarantee that you'll get it back (though usually you can - ONCE).

It's even questionable if BB-Android phones will be supported, as they are all old (and some older than others), and most lack LTE frequency bands that are now in common use, and the problem will only get worse once 5G is completely rolled out. T-Mo may let you continue to use those BB-Android devices if you choose (AT&T will not), but if you don't have coverage where you need it, it won't do you much good.

The reality is that most people are going to need to switch to a modern, carrier-supported, 5G-capable phone over the next year if you aren't already using one. The changes happening at the network level are major, once-in-a-decade changes, and older devices simply won't be very functional, or won't function at all.
    bhastings18 and John Albert like this.
    08-04-21 07:39 PM
    The reality is that most people are going to need to switch to a modern, carrier-supported, 5G-capable phone over the next year if you aren't already using one.
    I don't believe that in the slightest. 4G VoLTE capable phones should be just fine in the US for several years to come. The first 5G phones only hit the market in 2019. I don't believe that only 3 years later suddenly everyone needs a 5G phone.
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-04-21 07:41 PM
    I don't believe that in the slightest. 4G VoLTE capable phones should be just fine in the US for several years to come. The first 5G phones only hit the market in 2019. I don't believe that only 3 years later suddenly everyone needs a 5G phone.
    It's a matter of coverage, as 5G will continue to get priority access and squeeze out bandwidth from 4G.
    08-04-21 07:47 PM

There are some that won't work with T-Mobile.... but too T-Mobile is ending support and activations, for devices that don't support current VoLTE standards, and that all BB10 devices. If you want a BlackBerry, you'll need to buy one of the "newer" (relative term) Android ones... but again you need to match the model with T-Mobile's network - make sure the bands all matchup.

Problem is none of these are especially cheap at this point... nothing close to what you might have gotten a Classic for. Might find a PRIV for just under $100.
    Be careful. I found a Priv on Amazon that was Unlivked AT&T. It made one phone call with my sims card and my son's. When we replaced our sins back to our previous phones the sins was locked down for using a non supported device. Iy obviously could have worked because it did not they wouldn't allow that phone. Check with T Mobile. Get models and numbers they'll allow, then check with seller to make sure that particular phone is allowed.
    08-04-21 08:23 PM

Be careful. I found a Priv on Amazon that was Unlocked AT&T. It made one phone call with my sims card and my son's. When we replaced our sins back to our previous phones the sins was locked down for using a non supported device. Iy obviously could have worked because it did not they wouldn't allow that phone. Check with T Mobile. Get models and numbers they'll allow, then check with seller to make sure that particular phone is allowed.
    08-04-21 08:24 PM
    Supported VoLTE-capable phones will certainly work in many areas, but in other areas, they may not due to frequency band reallocations. For some people, that will be a minor inconvenience, and for others, it will be a deal-breaker. But it's the facts, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Further, people who want to make calls from deep inside buildings will need a 5G phone, because the carriers are prioritizing those frequencies for 5G (they were formerly 3G frequencies, because they were also used almost exclusively for phone calls). LTE/4G generally won't be deployed on those lower frequencies that travel farther and penetrate buildings better, so only 5G-capable phones will be able to use them. That means your LTE-only phone might work fine outside, but not well, or at all, from inside a building, unless you're on WiFi and have WiFi calling enabled.
    08-05-21 12:42 AM
    Supported VoLTE-capable phones will certainly work in many areas, but in other areas, they may not due to frequency band reallocations. For some people, that will be a minor inconvenience, and for others, it will be a deal-breaker. But it's the facts, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Further, people who want to make calls from deep inside buildings will need a 5G phone, because the carriers are prioritizing those frequencies for 5G (they were formerly 3G frequencies, because they were also used almost exclusively for phone calls). LTE/4G generally won't be deployed on those lower frequencies that travel farther and penetrate buildings better, so only 5G-capable phones will be able to use them. That means your LTE-only phone might work fine outside, but not well, or at all, from inside a building, unless you're on WiFi and have WiFi calling enabled.
    I'm on VZW and there are still areas where you can get only 3G coverage... unless you have 5G.

My wife's phone got solid 5G signal, where me and others barely got a 3G signal and no LTE. Once 3G is gone, that spot will only have 5G coverage. Unless Verizon is still working to deploy their long range LTE.... but I understood that had been done over a year ago.
    08-05-21 07:04 AM
    Once 3G is gone, that spot will only have 5G coverage.
    Right. Some folks (not just BB folks) who are clinging to older devices are going to find this out the hard way.

5G allows for MANY more devices to be connected to the same tower, which is a major motivation for the cell companies to prioritize 5G when deciding how to use the frequencies they have. There's going to be little if any additional LTE deployment in the US - that time has come and gone - so virtually everything going forward will be 5G - with a few exceptions for refarming in a small number of areas for technical reasons.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-21 02:48 AM
    i'm just about ready to accept the inevitable; does anyone know of another smartphone that has a keyboard?
    08-09-21 12:13 PM
    i'm just about ready to accept the inevitable; does anyone know of another smartphone that has a keyboard?
    Sure, there are a few. Unihertz has one (with another coming out in September), and there is Fxtec Pro but that's about it. May or may not work on your provider's system.

https://www.androidauthority.com/key...phones-845839/
    bhastings18 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-09-21 02:18 PM
    thank you!
    08-09-21 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD