I recently saw people raving about adaptive brightness again and here I am left wondering why when I last tried it it didn't work as I would have hoped. So I tried it again today and I see the same behavior.

I always feel like the brightness is lower than I needed to be. For example right now I'm laying in my room at 5 p.m. with the lights off but some light coming in from the blinds. I would like my brightness slider at about 60% and I have to constantly adjust it when I have adaptive brightness on. And every single time I unlock my phone it's back down all the way to the bottom. It gets so irritating changing it every time I unlock my phone.

So I pose the question to the rest of you, am I missing the point of adaptive brightness? I thought it was supposed to learn from the setting that I keep adjusting it to? It seems to me like it's trying to adjust the brightness and I simply have to deal with whatever brightness it feels is appropriate.
    11-19-18 10:35 PM
    If I understand it correctly. Adaptive brightness works on the lighting around you for eye comfortable. So in a darker room, dimmer screen. In a bright room, a brighter screen. Both to adapt to the light around you. I could very well be wrong but I belive that is how it works.

Personally, I just turned it off out the box and adjust as needed. Yet to have an issue.
    11-20-18 01:37 AM
    Tried it a couple times out of curiosity but it didn't work how I needed it to. My convenience key is always remapped to Double tap = Brightness +, Long Press = Brightness -

Did this on my KEYone but it feels better on the KEY2 with response of the key and the vibration.
    11-20-18 06:10 AM
    I use it on the Priv. seems to me it looks at my original setting and gives a percentage of that.
    e.g. if I set it at 60% then go into bright sun it gives me all of that 60% but no more than that. If I then go into a dark room it gives me (for the sake of illustration) 30% of my full 60%. (AKA 20% of the genuine full power). It also makes a big difference what the sensor on the front of the screen is pointing at. If it senses any kind of directional light or shadow actually no matter how small, into the sensor than it acts on just that :-)
    11-20-18 08:24 AM
    I have been using it for a year on my K1. Seems to be fine. Although sometimes YouTube is way too dark.
    11-20-18 10:27 AM
    Lots of options in an app called "auto brightness"
    11-23-18 09:36 PM
    The BB10 devices were really good at that.
    11-23-18 09:53 PM
    The BB10 devices were really good at that.
    When I enabled power saving mode on the BB10 devices I briefly had, it would always be too dim. So I disagree
    11-24-18 01:38 PM
    When I enabled power saving mode on the BB10 devices I briefly had, it would always be too dim. So I disagree
    But on BB10 it just did not go lighter, dimmer, lighter, dimmer every few seconds. Maybe it was slow reacting to changes on BB10 or bug but I see this on K2LE, my wife's Xiaomi and some other devices too. My old android tablet had it much better then new devices.

I had to disable auto brightness and also my wife did the same.
    11-26-18 03:03 AM
    But on BB10 it just did not go lighter, dimmer, lighter, dimmer every few seconds. Maybe it was slow reacting to changes on BB10 or bug but I see this on K2LE, my wife's Xiaomi and some other devices too. My old android tablet had it much better then new devices.

I had to disable auto brightness and also my wife did the same.
    My opinion was that BB did a very good job with auto brightness cause you don’t notice it. It’s all base on algorithms.
    11-26-18 08:16 PM
    Lots of options in an app called "auto brightness"
    Why? It is in system and I need another application. Again. Soon, I will need a toilet app which will tell me when I need to go to toilet.

My opinion was that BB did a very good job with auto brightness cause you don’t notice it. It’s all base on algorithms.
    Exactly, it was perfect on BB10 device. Now it just use some standard google settings which is bad.
    11-27-18 03:09 AM