Hi. Can anyone help me in making my phone work on 4G? I have a 4G Sim in my phone but it does not say 4G and only shows H? against the signal bars. When I check network mode it only has 2G, 3G, 2G & 3G option. Doesn't give option for 4G. My model is STA100-2 and running on 10.2.1.2977

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 09:24 AM
    Which carrier?

Some carriers must register an LTE capable device on the subscription before it works. In case they don't "know" your device, I have read they have a list of IMEI numbers pre-registered as LTE capable they can use.

I guess you have to call them anyway as there is nothing you can change on the device it self. :-)
    10-09-14 09:27 AM
    Where are you located? Is the -2 sold in your country?
    10-09-14 09:28 AM
    I'm in Pakistan and got my phone from Dubai. My network is Zong CMPak.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 09:41 AM
    I'm in Pakistan and got my phone from Dubai. My network is Zong CMPak.
    OK, they have a band 3 LTE network, which your phone is capable of using. Two things to explore:

1. Are you in an area of 4G LTE coverage? In other words, is Zong's LTE network up and running everywhere in Pakistan, especially wherever you are?
    2. Do they require a BIS plan even for BB10? Most carriers don't but some do. Find out from Zong if they're in the latter category.
    10-09-14 11:28 AM
    OK, they have a band 3 LTE network, which your phone is capable of using. Two things to explore:

1. Are you in an area of 4G LTE coverage? In other words, is Zong's LTE network up and running everywhere in Pakistan, especially wherever you are?
    2. Do they require a BIS plan even for BB10? Most carriers don't but some do. Find out from Zong if they're in the latter category.
    Thanks for the feedback.

1. Yes I'm in 4G LTE coverage area.
    2. No they don't require BIS plan for BB10.

I've been with this carrier for over a year now and have been using the 2G and 3G services without subscribing to BIS plan. But today when I got the new 4G LTE Sim it did show 4G LTE next to the signal bars for a second or so but then since then it's only showing H?.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 12:49 PM
    Try these APN settings, or make sure they are there: Zong Internet Settings Guide

To get to the APN settings, go into Settings>Network Connections>Mobile Networks>APN
    10-09-14 01:30 PM
    I tried all options I could for APN, but the issue still remains. However, I inserted the old Sim which obviously does not work anymore and then put the 4GLTE Sim back in. I got the 4GLTE logo for about 10 seconds but it again changed to H+. Did this three times and every time it changed back to H+. Wonder what it could be that's not letting the phone stay on 4GLTE.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 02:23 PM
    Do you have access to another LTE-capable phone (that has been confirmed to work on Zong?) Try testing this SIM card in that phone, see what happens.

If the same thing happens, it's a network issue. But if it works just fine, we could try the dummy IMEI trick.
    10-09-14 04:27 PM
    Yes tried the SIM on my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note II and it worked fine. Will try using the SIM on my friend's Z10 also just to double check.

What do you mean by the dummy IMEI trick? What do I do here?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 09:38 PM
    Will try using the SIM on my friend's Z10 also just to double check.
    Sounds good. Make sure that Z10 is a STL100-2. None of the other models would have the LTE band you need.

What do you mean by the dummy IMEI trick? What do I do here?
    It's a way to get non-provisioned (yet fully capable) devices working properly. Did Zong ever sell the Z30? If not, your issue could be that the phone is not provisioned for LTE on their network. This happens sometimes if carriers don't sell certain phones; certain features don't work too well. The dummy IMEI trick is a way around that:

1. You tell the carrier you want to activate a new device on their network
    2. Then you give them an IMEI of:
    2a. An actual, provisioned phone (for example, an LTE-capable phone that you aren't using, or a store's floor model) or,
    2b. A made-up IMEI (dummy) that's based off of an actual IMEI of a device that is provisioned.
    10-09-14 10:01 PM
    Sounds good. Make sure that Z10 is a STL100-2. None of the other models would have the LTE band you need.

It's a way to get non-provisioned (yet fully capable) devices working properly. Did Zong ever sell the Z30? If not, your issue could be that the phone is not provisioned for LTE on their network. This happens sometimes if carriers don't sell certain phones; certain features don't work too well. The dummy IMEI trick is a way around that:

1. You tell the carrier you want to activate a new device on their network
    2. Then you give them an IMEI of:
    2a. An actual, provisioned phone (for example, an LTE-capable phone that you aren't using, or a store's floor model) or,
    2b. A made-up IMEI (dummy) that's based off of an actual IMEI of a device that is provisioned.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try activating a new device on the network. Will update on the outcome.

Zong never sold Z30. In fact they don't sell BlackBerry, just android phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:21 PM
    Must be the signals issue. The area you are using it in must not have a dedicated antenna, rather catching the signal.

Zoom in on the coverage map and check. Zong's slowly expanding its network, hopefully all areas will be covered soon.

Their call centre will say the same thing!

P.S I just read the post where you said the sim worked fine on the Note II, have you tried selecting only '4G' in network mode? I used to select 2G/3G mode and my phone used to catch the EDGE signals. Shows H since I chose '3G'.

Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.632
    raino likes this.
    10-10-14 12:28 AM
    Ok, I think I have figured it out. Basically my phone model (STA100-2) is not supported by the carrier.

Zong Pakistan

It only supports STA100-1, STA100-3 and STA 100-5

Thanks raino for all the help. Also came across one of your posts about Z30 models and frequencies http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-850736/
    It was of great help in determining what actually the issue was. I guess it time to make a switch to Passport!
    10-10-14 01:51 AM
    Wait...don't give up yet lol. The link you posted to that Zong website, it's all over the place, but it does list RFW121LW, which is the STA100-2.
    10-10-14 09:13 AM
    Wait...don't give up yet lol. The link you posted to that Zong website, it's all over the place, but it does list RFW121LW, which is the STA100-2.
    Really?! Come on I know you can help me out here. But RFW121LW is listed under Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 09:17 AM
    Really?! Come on I know you can help me out here. But RFW121LW is listed under Z10.
    The columns don't mean anything. That Z10 column also has Q10 listed under it!

And there is no Z10 RFW121LW. The only RFW121LW there is is the Z30 STA100-2.

Try what umaima.b.zia is suggesting: force your phone on to a 4G network, if you can. So try this: Settings>Network Connections>Mobile Network>Network Connection Mode>and then under Network Selection Mode, change the option to Manual, and see if the Zong 4G network shows up.
    10-10-14 11:06 AM
    The columns don't mean anything. That Z10 column also has Q10 listed under it!

And there is no Z10 RFW121LW. The only RFW121LW there is is the Z30 STA100-2.

Try what umaima.b.zia is suggesting: force your phone on to a 4G network, if you can. So try this: Settings>Network Connections>Mobile Network>Network Connection Mode>and then under Network Selection Mode, change the option to Manual, and see if the Zong 4G network shows up.

Yes, you're right, RFW121LW is Z30 STA100-2. Then what could be the reason that it does not give me option for 4G.

Ok, I did like you said. Did a manual selection and it showed the Zong network along with the other four carriers. Connected to it and also did a restart but it's still on H+ and not on 4GLTE. Do you think I should maybe get the sim replaced?

P.S. How do I attach pictures in this thread? It gives an option of attaching picture but when I choose the picture it doesn't attach. Want to share with you the screen shots showing the various network technologies.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:37 PM
    Ok, I did like you said. Did a manual selection and it showed the Zong network along with the other four carriers. Connected to it and also did a restart but it's still on H+ and not on 4GLTE.
    So you went from H to H+? Progress, I guess? Anyway...do you know if Zong is one of those carriers that calls HSPA+ 4G? Or when they say 4G, they do mean LTE? In this part of the world (North America,) carriers call HSPA+ 4G too. You could either check the internet for information about Zong's practice, or do a speed test on your wife's phone and yours to see if the GN2's 4G speed is significantly better than your Z30's H+. It could be that the 4G network Zong has around you is really a HSPA+ network.

Do you think I should maybe get the sim replaced?
    I'm not sure if the SIM card is the issue here, if it really does get LTE in your wife's phone.

P.S. How do I attach pictures in this thread? It gives an option of attaching picture but when I choose the picture it doesn't attach. Want to share with you the screen shots showing the various network technologies.
    Make sure that the 'shared files' permission for CB10 is not restricted under Settings>Security and Privacy>App Permissions>CB10

And finally, thank you for your patience. I can understand how this must be frustrating. But we'll figure this out yet.
    10-10-14 01:01 PM
    So you went from H to H+? Progress, I guess? Anyway...do you know if Zong is one of those carriers that calls HSPA+ 4G? Or when they say 4G, they do mean LTE? In this part of the world (North America,) carriers call HSPA+ 4G too. You could either check the internet for information about Zong's practice, or do a speed test on your wife's phone and yours to see if the GN2's 4G speed is significantly better than your Z30's H+. It could be that the 4G network Zong has around you is really a HSPA+ network.
    I had always been on H+ even when I had the non 4GLTE sim. Zong 4G is LTE as they've been advertising it as 4G LTE and no mention of HSPA+4G anywhere.

Tried doing a speed test and it was worse than what I have been getting on my Z30. Now this is confusing.

I'm not sure if the SIM card is the issue here, if it really does get LTE in your wife's phone.
    Ok, I just realised that even though my wife's cellular carrier does not offer 4G the phone still displays 4G and when I put my sim in it continues to show 4G but no LTE.

Make sure that the 'shared files' permission for CB10 is not restricted under Settings>Security and Privacy>App Permissions>CB10
    Thanks I had the restriction ON for shared files for CB10. Have set it to off.

And finally, thank you for your patience. I can understand how this must be frustrating. But we'll figure this out yet.
    No, thank you for helping me out here. You've been of great help and I'm grateful for your very prompt replies. You've increased my knowledge quite a lot-thanks.
    Yes, it is quite frustrating and it has been constantly on my mind for the past day or so. But I'm very hopeful that with your help this issue will be sorted out. :-)

P.S. I'm posting screen shots of my display right after I swap sims and put the 4GLTE sim back in. It goes on 4GLTE but only for 10 seconds or so and goes back to H+.

4G not working on my Z30-img_20141010_001210.png

4G not working on my Z30-img_20141010_001224.png

4G not working on my Z30-img_20141011_001238.png

4G not working on my Z30-img_20141011_001228.png

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 02:50 PM
    Tried doing a speed test and it was worse than what I have been getting on my Z30. Now this is confusing.

Ok, I just realised that even though my wife's cellular carrier does not offer 4G the phone still displays 4G and when I put my sim in it continues to show 4G but no LTE.
    Your wife is on a different carrier? Sorry, I thought she was on Zong as well. That's why I asked for a comparison. If she isn't, then it is not a very good comparison, because we don't know if her phone is even Zong LTE compatible.

P.S. I'm posting screen shots of my display right after I swap sims and put the 4GLTE sim back in. It goes on 4GLTE but only for 10 seconds or so and goes back to H+.
    I'm guessing screenshot #2 is also within that short window where your phone shows 4GLTE? If so, what's interesting is that not only does your signal change, but your Network Mode options do too in #4--which points towards carrier intervention, and you may have been right--it could be the SIM. The phone catches LTE briefly because there is a Zong LTE network for it to latch on to, but then drops off because your SIM forces it off that LTE network. Are there any markings on the SIM that say something like '4G,' or '4G capable,' etc, or any other way for you to confirm you do have an LTE capable SIM?
    10-10-14 03:49 PM
    I'm guessing screenshot #2 is also within that short window where your phone shows 4GLTE? If so, what's interesting is that not only does your signal change, but your Network Mode options do too in #4--which points towards carrier intervention, and you may have been right--it could be the SIM. The phone catches LTE briefly because there is a Zong LTE network for it to latch on to, but then drops off because your SIM forces it off that LTE network. Are there any markings on the SIM that say something like '4G,' or '4G capable,' etc, or any other way for you to confirm you do have an LTE capable SIM?
    Yes, screen shot #2 was taken right when the phone shows 4GLTE. And once when the phone switches back to H+ the options for 4GLTE in network mode also disappear.

Yes the SIM does say 4GLTE on it. I had went to the carrier's customer service centre and specifically asked for a 4GLTE SIM. Maybe I should get the SIM replaced..?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 07:12 PM
    Yes the SIM does say 4GLTE on it. I had went to the carrier's customer service centre and specifically asked for a 4GLTE SIM. Maybe I should get the SIM replaced..?
    Did you get to test the SIM in your friend's Z10? Assuming it's a Zong/unlocked STL100-2, it should tell us if it's a SIM card issue, or just something with Zong and BB10. At least we'll have a better idea if a visit to the customer service center is needed.
    10-10-14 07:33 PM
    Hi. Can anyone help me in making my phone work on 4G? I have a 4G Sim in my phone but it does not say 4G and only shows H? against the signal bars. When I check network mode it only has 2G, 3G, 2G & 3G option. Doesn't give option for 4G. My model is STA100-2 and running on 10.2.1.2977

Posted via CB10
    My Z30 has the same specs as yours and operates full 4G, although the "operation bars" not always publishes it. Try to check operator and coverage.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.2977 OUTSTANDING ? AMAZING
    10-10-14 08:15 PM
    Did you get to test the SIM in your friend's Z10? Assuming it's a Zong/unlocked STL100-2, it should tell us if it's a SIM card issue, or just something with Zong and BB10. At least we'll have a better idea if a visit to the customer service center is needed.
    My friend's Z10 is a STL100-1 so I didn't try the SIM on his phone. I know another colleague of mine at work who has a Z10 which he got from UK. Maybe I'll ask him to test the SIM on his phone. But I think I'll go visit the customer service centre in any case and get a new SIM.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 11:35 PM
124 123 ...