OK. I know right off the bat everybody's gonna ask me where I got that $41.25/month from.

To recap, StraightTalk is running a promotion where you will get unlimited talk/text & 5GB of LTE speed per month for $45/month. However, if you pay a full year in advance, it's going to be $495/year which comes out to $41.25/month

I'm soo tempted to switch. T-Mobile has worked well for me in the past. However, I just got a new job that requires me to take the train for an hour one way everyday and T-Mobile spotty coverage has started to get on my nerve.

Will you pay an extra $11.25/month for AT&T coverage?
    06-05-15 01:13 AM
    I would say year it worth it. Sometimes there is no pricetag on having coverage and not.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-05-15 09:48 AM
    I would say year it worth it. Sometimes there is no pricetag on having coverage and not.
    Agreed. Where I live, for example, T-Mobile is pretty much worthless. I was on the $30 plan for awhile, and while it is great value, it wasn't to me because I couldn't use it. I could usually make voice calls, but data was almost nonexistent.

Another thing, I wouldn't recommend buying Straight Talk's 1 year service. They have this practice of throttling if you go over your alloted monthly data or even use too much in one day. The problem with multi month plans is that the throttling remains until the plan expires. If you get throttled in the first month, you'll be throttled for the rest of the year.

I speak from personal experience! My wife used to be on Straight Talk, and I bought her a 3 month plan. This happened! However, this was a year or so ago. It's possible that the practice changed since then.
    raino likes this.
    06-05-15 10:17 AM
    They have this practice of throttling if you go over your alloted monthly data or even use too much in one day.
    They have daily limits?

Plus, OP, ST used to have a no streaming policy, IIRC. If that's something you do, you might want to check if this is true.
    06-05-15 01:05 PM
    OK. It's almost Halloween so I thought it's not going to be weird to revive this DEAD thread. It looks like the consensus is it's worth it to pay $11.25/month extra for AT&T service if T-Mobile is not working where I need it to work (while AT&T works almost everywhere). Now it's down to the nitty gritty like are they going to cap my speed for the whole year, does tethering work, streaming difficulties, etc...

• speed throttling: straighttalk told me that for the $495/year plan, I will be allotted 5GB/30 days and the speed will be capped when going over 5GB until the next 30-day cycle then back to 4G speed again. This is how we generally understand the plan to be and hopefully that is how it will work. If anyone has a more recent experience like tgp had more than a year ago, please let me know. I was able to get LTE on my straighttalk at&t sim on my Z10.
    • hotspot: officially, not allowed for unlimited plans. With the typical double-talk of American businesses, I guess this 5GB/month/$495/year plan can be considered an unlimited plan and thus tethering is not allowed. However, I just put my straighttalk tablet plan ($15/1GB/month) sim into my Z10 and I was able to turn on hotspot without a problem. I was also able to connect my laptop to my Z10 hot spot without seeing the upselling messages like T-Mobile... Now I have to find an extra sim from my straighttalk package I got many moons ago and put it on an actual phone plan to see if the hotspot is still allowed but I feel very hopeful. If anyone is already on the $45/5GB/month and was able to turn on hotspot on your Z10, please let me know so I don't have to waste $45 for the experiment. Thanks!
    • streaming difficulties: I was able to listen to iheartradio stations without any problem. That dead spot half way through my commute on T-Mobile is now gone.

If I can turn on hotspot with the $45 plan, I'm sold!
    10-28-15 08:47 PM
    T-MOBILE has been very busy building their network but localized service is king. If it works do it.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    10-28-15 09:08 PM
    I too am looking for alternative to this plan. I was thinking I can use WIFI calling to make up the difference in minutes but their WIFI calling sucks it uses your minutes(100).

Now i am on the hunt for a DATA only package no Minutes and just using Priv and Hangout.
    10-28-15 09:15 PM
    I'm currently on straight talk on my BlackBerry Passport. There service is really good. I use wifi a lot so I never go over the 5gb in 30 days.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 09:20 PM
    Take a look at Howard Forums and search prepaid plans.

10-28-15 09:51 PM
    Straight talk as well as their sister company Net10 which I use has been great for me and my unlocked passport.

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against me and be broken!"
    10-28-15 11:04 PM
    Hey Zaiah_OvOXO & themaddtitan. Are you guys able to turn on hotspot on your BB? What are your current plans? I am on Straighttalk 1GB BOYT tablet plan on and off when I have to do long distance travel. I can turn on hotspot on my Z10 and have no problems with connecting my laptop to my Z10 hotspot. But that is on my BYOT tablet plan.
    10-29-15 01:08 PM
    Take a look at Howard Forums and search prepaid plans.

Their forums are soo massive and very few people there have any experience with BB so I was more confused there most of the time than educated.
    10-29-15 01:10 PM
    TMO 30$ has hotspot... one of the other bonus..
    10-29-15 01:17 PM
    I too am looking for alternative to this plan. I was thinking I can use WIFI calling to make up the difference in minutes but their WIFI calling sucks it uses your minutes(100).

Now i am on the hunt for a DATA only package no Minutes and just using Priv and Hangout.
    I think T-Mobile $30/5GB/month (ignoring the 100 minutes) is the cheapest there is if it works for you. I used to work 30 minutes from where I live right in the middle of a population center and T-Mobile has been great. Now I have to travel from one edge of a population center to another edge of another population center everyday and the dead spot in between is driving me CRAZY so I'm looking to move to StraightTalk ATT.
    10-29-15 01:19 PM
    Yeah unfortunately it seems like the cheapest.. The only issues is the minutes. My wife won't go Android, i told her I will just put her sim into a s5 and she can hangout for voice and she will be good but she can't stand non BB10.
    She wants her Passport. I have Taki/sip.fm running through a googlevoice gateway but that means she must have app open all the time and it doesn't go to VM when she doesn't have it open. Another issues with Taki is every time she is on hold for 20-30 minutes it cuts off when the other person resume the call. I have yet to resolve that or else she would be happy. Not sure what's going on there.
    She always closes everything and hates open apps. At least with Hangout she can't close it.
    She doesn't understand why anyone would love apps.
    10-29-15 01:25 PM
    Their forums are soo massive and very few people there have any experience with BB so I was more confused there most of the time than educated.
    With BB10, it doesn't really matter now. Unless you're considering circumvention. Then Android is king.

Data is data. Once you get it working, of course.
    10-29-15 02:14 PM