I still love my PRIV, but the USB port broke for a second time...

Seriously considering the S10 with all available BB software and probably sideloaded BB vkb (the best). I've been using Nova launcher on the Priv for a long time, so I could probably avoid serious UI changes...

So here's the real question: Assuming I go NOVA again and set it up the same way as on my PRIV, and assuming BB Hub+ suite and BB VKB, what will I still miss from my Blackberry experience?

I'm guessing:

1. Word substitution (Waaaa... I've been a Blackberry user forever...since the pagers!)
    2. Gestures? (at least the PRIV had the 3-point swipe gestures to make it a bit more BB10-like! Used these all the time!)
    3. DTEK app (any way to sideload it? I find it very useful to examine new app behavior)
    4. Does the S10 even have a notification LED?? I need that!!
    ... what else will I miss?

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually made such a switch!
    11-01-19 05:19 PM
    1. Word substitution (Waaaa... I've been a Blackberry user forever...since the pagers!)
    Word substitution is pretty standard and built into most keyboard apps / devices these days.

2. Gestures? (at least the PRIV had the 3-point swipe gestures to make it a bit more BB10-like! Used these all the time!)
    You can expand the gestures well beyond what your Priv offers on the S10 with combinations of apps. All it takes is some time set aside to try out apps and see what works best for you.

3. DTEK app (any way to sideload it? I find it very useful to examine new app behavior)
    It won't run on any other device. You'll miss it if you like it that much.

4. Does the S10 even have a notification LED?? I need that!!
    There is no LED on the S10. There are apps however that can make your camera cut out light up.

11-01-19 06:11 PM
    thanks for the quick reply. good to know about word substitution. NO LED? 😧 I thought most phones had added one... was one of my fav features right through BBOS AND BB10 but truthfully haunt been as necessary on the Priv.

So, I may end up taking the leap soon... at least my Priv has wireless charging and I recently replaced the battery, so I'm ok.

Saw article implying that John Chen has not ruled out future BlackBerry devices... so if and when a Priv-2 comes out (or any flagship BlackBerry device with cutting edge specs) I'll be back in a flash. (Let John know! 😂)
    11-01-19 06:19 PM
    I just got a note 10+ to replace my Passport. Private sim, I use K1 for work still.

Biggest thing is getting used to the vbk though I did manage to live through it on the Z10.

I have the BB apps which work as well as on my K1. Still on the trial period but they will make me pay for them soon. I believe it's a subscription which I am against. I'd rather pay outright so I might ditch them. I wish BB would offer them free to those of us who have been faithful to the end.

Lack of LED is annoying.

Jumping to a Samsung after using a Gooberry was much less painful than going to Gooberry from BB10.

This 10+ is excellent hardware but if a new Passport came out I'd switch to that in second. I know that won't happen. Reluctantly embrasing the slab world now.
    11-02-19 10:09 AM
    I actually got very used to the vkb and found myself using the pkb on the priv less and less. However I've tried other vkb's and didn't like them so I guess I'll have to sideload the blackberry vkb. Can't understand why blackberry doesn't alow it on any Android at this point, even for a price! Keeping it for blackberry devices was nice as long as there were some current devices... But now?
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-02-19 08:27 PM
    What hurts me the most is the thought of not rocking a blackberry device for the first time since about 1998! No manufacturer has more brand loyalty than Blackberry in my opinion... C'mon Chen get back in the game! With all the security issues these days I think both Blackberry phones and BBM could make a major comeback!
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-02-19 08:32 PM
    I actually got very used to the vkb and found myself using the pkb on the priv less and less. However I've tried other vkb's and didn't like them so I guess I'll have to sideload the blackberry vkb. Can't understand why blackberry doesn't alow it on any Android at this point, even for a price! Keeping it for blackberry devices was nice as long as there were some current devices... But now?
    I feel like I always see this on the forums when it comes to the Priv and feel most are overestimating the convenience/utility of the PKB and would easily adjust to a VKB.
    11-02-19 08:33 PM
    Try gboard instead. Once you master it, blackberry vkb (android variant) feels like a joke.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-03-19 06:19 AM
    Try gboard instead. Once you master it, blackberry vkb (android variant) feels like a joke.
    Agreed.

As for the title question, nothing worth worrying about.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    11-03-19 07:13 AM
    What hurts me the most is the thought of not rocking a blackberry device for the first time since about 1998! No manufacturer has more brand loyalty than Blackberry in my opinion... C'mon Chen get back in the game! With all the security issues these days I think both Blackberry phones and BBM could make a major comeback!
    Yeah, feels like a forced habbit change. Wore Levi jeans all my life, now I have to wear sweat pants
    11-03-19 07:44 AM
    so then the question is... Samsung s10 or Pixel 4?

testing Gboard on priv.... i really miss long press for change of case, and swiping down for symbols

... Just found option for long press symbols... Nice
    Last edited by hbelkin; 11-03-19 at 09:34 AM.
    11-03-19 08:43 AM
    Yeah, feels like a forced habbit change. Wore Levi jeans all my life, now I have to wear sweat pants
    TMI LMAO
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-03-19 09:48 AM
    my comparisons lead me so the S10...

As I'm reviewing my MANY apps i realize that i guess subconsciously I've been planning for this day... in most cases I've moved away from BlackBerry apps in favor of others i actually like better. A few examples:

calendar --> business calendar
    notes --> color note
    tasks --> business calendar and Todoist
    launcher --> Nova
    password keeper --> Enpass

just tested Gboard and it's way improved over the last time i looked, so I'm ok there.

as for BlackBerry hub/inbox, I never really used it for ant other apps but email since i have about 8 different email addresses i need to monitor... so i think something like Spark will likely be just as good if not better.

I rarely used productivity edge, but i hear Samsung has something similar.

I will miss Dtek... I've used it to discover and eliminate various apps that abuse location and contact access.. one weather app accessed location more han 30,000 times a day!

but i guess I'm surprising myself. looks like I'm no longer as tied to BlackBerry as i thought i was. makes me a bit sad, but lacking a viable alternative I need to move on...
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    11-03-19 11:17 AM

As I'm reviewing my MANY apps i realize that i guess subconsciously I've been planning for this day... in most cases I've moved away from BlackBerry apps in favor of others i actually like better. A few examples:

notes --> color note
    launcher --> Nova

just tested Gboard and it's way improved over the last time i looked, so I'm ok there.

as for BlackBerry hub/inbox, I never really used it for ant other apps but email since i have about 8 different email addresses i need to monitor... so i think something like Spark will likely be just as good if not better.

I will miss Dtek... I've used it to discover and eliminate various apps that abuse location and contact access.. one weather app accessed location more han 30,000 times a day!

but i guess I'm surprising myself. looks like I'm no longer as tied to BlackBerry as i thought i was. makes me a bit sad, but lacking a viable alternative I need to move on...
    If it's the same as on the Note 9, Settings > Biometrics and security > Permission usage monitor. As for email I personally use Aquamail Pro.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-19 03:10 PM
    If it's the same as on the Note 9, Settings > Biometrics and security > Permission usage monitor. As for email I personally use Aquamail Pro.
    I also use Aqua Mail Pro. I'm currently using a Samsung S10+, but I've used that for email on all my Android devices.
    11-03-19 03:15 PM
    I also use Aqua Mail Pro. I'm currently using a Samsung S10+, but I've used that for email on all my Android devices.
    Have you ever tried Spark? I've heard very good things about it...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-19 04:03 PM
    I’m testing Spark, Edison, MyMail and Nine on iOS since no BB Hub exists. Edison and Spark are decent. As Moderator @Laura Knotek gets six figures...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-19 04:45 PM

notes --> color note
    launcher --> Nova

The issues I have with hub was sometime the incoming mails delayed though I always made sure that blackberry services was running in the background. Also the services took more ram. Even if I only use the hub, the whole service need to be run, that's also why I decided to go with standalone 3rd party for each apps like you (especially for note, calendar, and mail).

I also tried outlook, it has built in calendar view that I only used for work related appointment. The downside is it has no basic text formatting (bold, italic, numbering etc) when composing a mail, which is really a deal breaker for me. For now I stay with samsung email, it's pretty basic, but it has text formatting, and mails most of the time come at a time without delay. The downside is it has zero ability for managing more than 1 mail account. The UI is very basic like ios's mail app. I reconsider spark, used it once back then, it's good app if you also put your personal mail (like gmail etc) into it, since it has smart grouping that differ mails based on their categories, which one contains ads, newsletter and which one coming from a real person's mail.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-19 07:04 PM
    I’m testing Spark, Edison, MyMail and Nine on iOS since no BB Hub exists. Edison and Spark are decent. As Moderator @Laura Knotek gets six figures...
    That's funny.
    11-03-19 07:36 PM
    No, I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
    11-03-19 07:37 PM
    Word substitution is pretty standard and built into most keyboard apps / devices these days.

I can't find any such option in Gboard... ?
    11-03-19 08:26 PM
    I can't find any such option in Gboard... ?
    Gboard > Settings > Dictionary > Personal dictionary > language of choice or all languages
    11-04-19 10:08 AM
    oh, now i see... expected the substitution to be automatic on hitting spacebar like BlackBerry vkb! 😒
    11-05-19 07:10 PM
    oh, now i see... expected the substitution to be automatic on hitting spacebar like BlackBerry vkb!
    No. You must choose the word manually, but it would automatically add a space after the word so you can continue to type next word
    11-05-19 09:41 PM