12-11-18 11:46 AM
51 123
tools
    My BBM tone notification stopped working a few days ago. I have reset it numerous times but it doesn't stay active. When I check under notifications it shows a series of random numbers and not the BBM tone notification I selected. See screen shot...

I have emailed BBM numerous times but it's clear their Technical Support department isn't actually responding to my detailed emails. I provided them with when this started happening, the version of BBM, when last updated, my Android OS info, and my device, KEY2.

I only get replies asking if I'm still having issues and if so please let them know. I have been doing that multiple times and still no acknowledgment of my specific issue... no tone alert.

I am getting a bit frustrated!!!

Bob
    Is the notification tone on your mSD card? If yes, try copying the tone to device storage and then reset the tone.

I've seen this happen with other apps, on other Android devices.
    12-04-18 12:20 PM
    I have had a few emails that continue to ask if I'm having the issue I contacted BBM about and to date they haven't specifically acknowledged the issue I'm having... just a generic response. Which tells me BBM has a boiler plate response to all technical support issues. They acknowledge receipt of your email but don't acknowledge the specific issue you originally contacted them about... certainly no trouble shooting going on with BBM Technical Support.

It will be interesting to see how long the exchange of emails will take place without actually accomplishing anything... hahaha

Bob
    12-04-18 12:27 PM
    Is the notification tone on your mSD card? If yes, try copying the tone to device storage and then reset the tone.

I've seen this happen with other apps, on other Android devices.
    No it isn't... I'm attempting to use the stock BBM Tone Notification as I always have in the BBM App.

Bob
    12-04-18 12:29 PM
    I received the standard email reply this morning too. It asks if you're still having the issue, to contact them. I don't understand how the first reply to an issue is to ask if it's still present...? Obviously it is since you were just contacted about it. I get that it's an automated response, but come on.

BlackBerry needs to take back control of the app before this bonehead emtek runs it into the ground.
    I doubt BlackBerry wants it... It cost money to operate and maintain. If not for Emtek, they'd probable have BBM on the EOL list too.
    12-04-18 12:50 PM
    I received the standard email reply this morning too. It asks if you're still having the issue, to contact them. I don't understand how the first reply to an issue is to ask if it's still present...? Obviously it is since you were just contacted about it. I get that it's an automated response, but come on.

BlackBerry needs to take back control of the app before this bonehead emtek runs it into the ground.
    I completely agree! Emtek is going to destroy this best messaging app there is....
    Emteks bbm support is eaither automated COMPLETELY, or runed by very very very stupid humans...
    I rolled back to older version of bbm and it works perfect..
    12-04-18 04:24 PM
    I completely agree! Emtek is going to destroy this best messaging app there is....
    Emteks bbm support is eaither automated COMPLETELY, or runed by very very very stupid humans...
    I had troubles with their support in the past too.
    Seems to was automated answers, and obviously people there didn't understand my mails.
    I think there is a language barrier with them...
    12-04-18 04:51 PM
    Stupid question but what's the easiest way to downgrade? Would uninstall, download apk online, reinstall be sufficient? Oh wait, can I uninstall BBM or is it a system app? Hmm please advise on best method to use to get rid of this garbage version.
    RakacKey2 likes this.
    12-04-18 09:10 PM
    Stupid question but what's the easiest way to downgrade? Would uninstall, download apk online, reinstall be sufficient? Oh wait, can I uninstall BBM or is it a system app? Hmm please advise on best method to use to get rid of this garbage version.
    Just clear cash, data, then uninstall, and download .apk from somewhere and install... when installing, with entering your bbm data (phone number), your contacts should be reloaded automatically.
    I am using this version and it works perfect
    Attached Thumbnails Newest BBM Update bugs and problems-225292.jpg  
    12-04-18 10:17 PM
    Well confirmation for me that my numerous email exchanges with BBM Customer Care regarding my BBM Tone Notification issue has been a waste of time. Confirmation was clear in the second of 2 emails I received this morning from Sandi with BBM Customer Care.

In my previous email exchanges, I have provided very detailed information regarding my tone notification issue, version of BBM, OS of my KEY2, etc.

I have been using BBM for years and the second email I just received from Sandi had instructions on how to set a Tone Notification... WTF???

I give up...

Bob
    12-05-18 10:49 AM
    Well confirmation for me that my numerous email exchanges with BBM Customer Care regarding my BBM Tone Notification issue has been a waste of time. Confirmation was clear in the second of 2 emails I received this morning from Sandi with BBM Customer Care.

In my previous email exchanges, I have provided very detailed information regarding my tone notification issue, version of BBM, OS of my KEY2, etc.

I have been using BBM for years and the second email I just received from Sandi had instructions on how to set a Tone Notification... WTF???

I give up...

Bob
    Well... technically.... it’s not really BBM anymore.....BBM from Emtek just needs you to speak “their” language.
    12-05-18 11:00 AM
    Well... technically.... it’s not really BBM anymore.....BBM from Emtek just needs you to speak “their” language.
    Yes, that is true. Sandi is communicating with me in perfect English language... I guess to assume BBM/Emtek is able to read my English language emails is unrealistic...

Bob
    12-05-18 11:18 AM
    Yes, that is true. Sandi is communicating with me in perfect English language... I guess to assume BBM/Emtek is able to read my English language emails is unrealistic...

Bob
    I'm also communicating with "Sandi"! They did provide some attempts to resolve the issue through ensuring my notifications were set up properly, Force Stopping the app, etc. but obviously those didn't work. I replied and said that the issue is with the most recent update, not something on the client side since it was working perfectly prior to the update. Waiting on the next reply!
    12-05-18 01:28 PM
    I'm also communicating with "Sandi"! They did provide some attempts to resolve the issue through ensuring my notifications were set up properly, Force Stopping the app, etc. but obviously those didn't work. I replied and said that the issue is with the most recent update, not something on the client side since it was working perfectly prior to the update. Waiting on the next reply!
    I made mention of the tone notification issue appearing after the last Beta update when I first contacted BBM Customer Care. I additionally provided them with the version number and last date the app was updated. This information has been communicated in my emails multiple times along with screen shots.

Unfortunately Sandi has danced all around this information and I have only been given information from Sandi about making sure I have a strong WiFi or cellular connection... which I do. That and how to set the tone notification... Duhhh!!!

Bob
    12-05-18 02:57 PM
    I made mention of the tone notification issue appearing after the last Beta update when I first contacted BBM Customer Care. I additionally provided them with the version number and last date the app was updated. This information has been communicated in my emails multiple times along with screen shots.

Unfortunately Sandi has danced all around this information and I have only been given information from Sandi about making sure I have a strong WiFi or cellular connection... which I do. That and how to set the tone notification... Duhhh!!!

Bob
    Haha I've downgraded and turned off auto-updates. Turning my ringer to vibrate to get around the issue resulted in a couple missed calls, so can't afford that kind of error for very long.
    12-05-18 03:00 PM

Bob
    Like I said, I highly doubt it is Sandi or any human, that response we are getting is generic automated support answer created by computer...they give you completely out-of-subject recomendation how to fix issue...they even told me to check my BBID (which is non-existent on Key2) to solve issue. Ridiculous.
    I tell you...if they continue, they will destroy bbm....
    12-06-18 12:41 PM
    I have stopped getting any emails from Sandi with the last one giving me instructions on how to set a Tone Notification... hahaha

It appears quite evident that there is no actual Technical Support for BBM as from what I have discovered they don't read any responses that are provided with pertinent information relating to the issue.

Oh well... at least I am getting the notification light which I have set to a color that allows me to be aware I have received a BBM message. So in the end I will be able to survive and move forward.

It's just frustrating and disappointing that BBM doesn't have any Technical Support.

Bob
    12-06-18 01:04 PM
    Bit late. BBM is a bloated shell of its former self. Too many useless services integrated in an effort to turn some profit off it. The constant changes and updates have only driven it further into obscurity. It might be popular in the areas they're targeting but it's not winning any love in the US, EU or Canada. I'm logged in solely for 2 contacts.
    12-06-18 02:11 PM
    Just got an update for BBM Beta but unfortunately no fix for the Tone Notification was included in the update... 😓

Bob
    12-06-18 06:00 PM
    "Sandi" may be the only name their CSRS are allowed to use when speaking with clients.

Q10 Powered
    12-07-18 07:46 AM
    It appears BBM customer/technical support has taken it upon themselves to stop communicating with me over the tone notification issue. After a few email exchanges, and the last one from them was a tutorial on how to set my tone notification, they have stopped communicating with me.

I found that somewhat insulting as I have been using BBM since it's release in 2005, they were aware of this, and I most assuredly know how to set a BBM tone notification.

Clearly there is no longer any technical support for the BBM app and their responses are just lip service and when BBM customer service is done communicating with you... they are done!!!

If it wasn't for the fact I have a few BBM holdouts in far away places I would undoubtedly delete the BBM app from my KEY2. I do get my LED notification so all is not lost. To say I am frustrated and a bit pissed off would be an understatement.

Bob
    12-10-18 10:25 AM
    Received an update for BBM Beta this afternoon to Version 3.3.19.69. I was hoping a fix for the Tone Notification issue would be included... sadly it wasn't.

Bob
    12-10-18 06:54 PM
    Received an email late last night from BBM Customer Care... this time from Gusti. They requested logs which I sent.

Unfortunately now my BBM is not able to send or receive messages. My sent messages are not going through and they all have a clock next to them.

Hopefully I will hear something from Gusti in short order and I will update this thread.

Bob
    12-11-18 09:52 AM
    Received an email late last night from BBM Customer Care... this time from Gusti. They requested logs which I sent.

Unfortunately now my BBM is not able to send or receive messages. My sent messages are not going through and they all have a clock next to them.

Hopefully I will hear something from Gusti in short order and I will update this thread.

Bob
    Perhaps you upset “Sandi” who pushed a few extra BBM Emtek buttons.....
    12-11-18 10:05 AM
    Perhaps you upset “Sandi” who pushed a few extra BBM Emtek buttons.....
    I think that might be the case... I was a bit put off with Sandi's last email that had a tutorial on how to set a Tone Notification...

Sandi probably passed this on to Gusti after my response... hahaha

Bob
    12-11-18 10:40 AM

Bob
    If you want it to be fixed immediately, just remove yourself from the beta program, uninstall BBM updates, and then allow it to update again to the production version.
    12-11-18 10:52 AM
51 123