Hi Bla1ze

Any hint or technical feedback on possibility of Blend for Android?

I've literally stuck with Win 7 and BB10 OS as I find Blend incredibly useful and efficient.

If they offered this as standalone software, I'd be willing to buy it for a lot more than 99 cents and feel it would compete effectively with so many of the "productivity" apps now available.

I'm not aware of any serious alternative. I've looked at Airdroid but it appears that any data including contact information can be seen and reviewed for product improvement, not exactly what I'd consider secure. I believe Blend is local only.

Would it be worth doing a CrackBerry poll to see if people would be willing to buy Blend if it were created for Android? Lots of people seemed to be disappointed with "end of life" announcement.

Thanks very much
    La Emperor likes this.
    03-14-17 10:52 AM
    Any hint or technical feedback on possibility of Blend for Android?
    It's possible, but don't hold your breath waiting. The fact they end of supported it shows it's not coming back for Android, otherwise there'd be no reason to do so.
    03-14-17 11:07 AM
    Would it be of any value to have a CrackBerry poll on this? If responses are positive and there are $$ in it for BBRY, perhaps they would consider it.

Thanks
    03-14-17 11:09 AM
    Would it be of any value to have a CrackBerry poll on this? If responses are positive and there are $$ in it for BBRY, perhaps they would consider it.

Thanks
    Not really. They've already done that work ahead of time. You need to remember Blend was not built as a consumer offering; it was offered as part of BES, where they make their money. Obviously, the adoption there wasn't high enough to justify continuing it even at a paid level so there's no reason for them to think they could make it up financially on the consumer level.

Just try to imagine how many consumers would need to be paying for it vs. how many were using it with BES and paying for it and they still decided to EOL it. There's an argument to be made there that maybe with Android, it would have wider spread adoption but that's theoretical and I'm sure BlackBerry would have bounced those possible numbers around anyway.
    03-14-17 11:11 AM
    Understand and appreciate your perspective. I guess AirDroid which pales in comparison feels it can make money with consumers. Sad to see a unique offering go by the wayside when others are earning consumer $$. Thanks very much
    03-14-17 11:19 AM
    Understand and appreciate your perspective. I guess AirDroid which pales in comparison feels it can make money with consumers. Sad to see a unique offering go by the wayside when others are earning consumer $$. Thanks very much
    But when did AirDroid start? How long did it take them to build up 50 Million users?

Because someone else has worked years to build up a product and makes it a success.... doesn't mean that someone else can come along and expect the same success.
    03-14-17 11:49 AM
    But when did AirDroid start? How long did it take them to build up 50 Million users?

Because someone else has worked years to build up a product and makes it a success.... doesn't mean that someone else can come along and expect the same success.
    Which is why any failures of the competition (real or otherwise) aren't always opportunities for BlackBerry to parachute in.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-14-17 11:52 AM
    For what its worth, I think it would be an excellent addition to the new blackberry dynamics offering. I could see the blend app being merged into that very seamlessly to allow work on a non-work or pooled tablet and pc.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-17 12:31 PM
    Would love if BlackBerry brings Blend for Android .

Posted via CB10
    03-14-17 01:00 PM

But it makes sense for BlackBerry to start making Android phones and competing with Samsung and Google???

AirDroid, with different, if not fewer productivity features, should be an easier market to enter.

I have think there are users who would pay an annual subscription fee to use Blend and likely a lot more than 99 cents a month.
    03-14-17 03:59 PM
    It would add to the BlackBerry android experience, right now BlackBerry android doesn't have much difference between it and competitors.

Still miss having it
    03-14-17 04:15 PM
    Would love to have Blend in Droid and am willing to pay for it as well. My Passport is starting to show its age so have no choice but to get Keyone. I would miss Blend dearly once I get my Keyone.

People just dont realize how productive you can get with Blend. I agree with the poster that i could add luster to the
    Blackberry Android experience and could be a differentiator.
    03-14-17 05:55 PM
    Not really. They've already done that work ahead of time. You need to remember Blend was not built as a consumer offering; it was offered as part of BES, where they make their money. Obviously, the adoption there wasn't high enough to justify continuing it even at a paid level so there's no reason for them to think they could make it up financially on the consumer level.

Just try to imagine how many consumers would need to be paying for it vs. how many were using it with BES and paying for it and they still decided to EOL it. There's an argument to be made there that maybe with Android, it would have wider spread adoption but that's theoretical and I'm sure BlackBerry would have bounced those possible numbers around anyway.
    My employer never enabled Blend for the work side of Balance. If a major Canadian bank doesn't bite, I imagine not many did. Just to your point.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2163 / Telus
    03-14-17 08:14 PM
    When the Priv came out didn't Blaze do a story on the apps and productivity tools that Blackberry users would miss the most and what Android options where there to fill the void.

I am not a corporate user but I use blend everyday. I love my Passport but I still love typing on my computer.

Was the program AirDroid that closely resembles Blend or was it something else.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-17 08:05 PM
    I don't recall Blend being specifically targeting BES users. The big draw at the time was that anyone can make use of it.

It's software. BlackBerry is now a software company. Perfect opportunity for them to have a similar thing for Android. Free with actual BlackBerry phones. And a paid version on Google Play like they have with Hub+ for other android phones. Call it something else. Doesn't have to be called "Blend".

But I think having a way to connect your device to your PC, laptop or tablet without going through an intermediate server, as all the other similar apps do (like AirDroid and Push Bullet), would be a great selling point.

Joel
    03-23-17 09:27 PM
    I really miss blend and agree that it could be a revenue stream. BlackBerry wastes time on small but useful free apps like privacy shade but won't design something that potentially has a subscription value?

The other big thing is a back up and restore function for either apps i.e hub, notes, tasks, launcher or the entire phone itself like Link.

Android is terrible for back up. A fragmented garbage heap.

I should be able to wipe my phone and restore it from a local drive or if I prefer a cloud of my choosing. That is, from one place and not from Google and or Gmail and other apps.

Where is the privacy and security with that?

How does this backup not exist as a proper solution for BlackBerry, especially in light of the current border regimes in some countries and the amount of personal and health and commercial confidential stuff that people have on their phones.

Also sales support for BlackBerry Enterprise is also very poor from my limited experience.

Love BlackBerry and all but they should be doing better.
    03-23-17 10:05 PM
    Blend needs to happen with bb-andriod!
    04-04-17 10:10 PM
    Blend needs to happen with bb-andriod!

Need and want are different things.

BlackBerry "needed" to create the HUB+ features to differentiate themselves from standard Android. But even then they saw an opportunity to help offset development cost with a subscription option for none BB hardware owners. In general I expect HUB+ was a simple Android Application.

LINK/BLEND.... is a very complicated PC (and at times MAC) PROGRAM, that would also require additional work on the Android Apps to allow for the communications. The development and support of such a program would be many times the cost of the whole HUB+ Suite.... I also expect the number of users that would pay for it would be much smaller than those willing to pay for HUB+. In the end I expect they deemed in not necessary... a want or wish for later review. Now if TCL sells 20 million phones next year, they may revisit it....
    04-13-17 10:30 AM
    I'd totally pay a "premium app" price to get Blend with BB'droid.

Is there a list somewhere of what-all we're going to lose if we switch from BB10 to the Keyone?

(Blend, Password Keeper cloud sync, Blackberry Protect?, what else?)
    04-27-17 04:37 PM
    Blend, BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard, Priority Hub, all great software/features. I would pay for them if they are available on Play Store.
    04-27-17 05:25 PM