Okay, I read an older forum on how to backup any blackberry OS10 device (by using ultimate backup from the BBW) and I backed up all of my SMS and contacts, media and documents to my SD card.) I plugged by SD card into my computer to double check that it succesfully backed everything up, put I honestly was not to sure. So my question(s) are

1. How do I know if the backups succesfully worked to the SD CARD?

2. How do I know that it will restore everything ?

3. Do I just wipe my device through settings?

4. This is more of a what-if question, but lets just say that the software is malfunctioning again and none of the apps (including settings) do not open and blackberry link does not work. An error message pops up on a black screen. How would I be able to wipe my device and do the "restore" process that way?

5. Can the FREE version backup applications or do I need to pay the 10 dollars on BBW for it to do so?

My phone is a Blackberry Leap and it runs on Blackberry OS 10.3.3.2137

Thank you in advance to whoever's going to help me!
    02-14-19 11:18 AM
    Okay, I read an older forum on how to backup any blackberry OS10 device (by using ultimate backup from the BBW) and I backed up all of my SMS and contacts, media and documents to my SD card.) I plugged by SD card into my computer to double check that it succesfully backed everything up, put I honestly was not to sure. So my question(s) are

1. How do I know if the backups succesfully worked to the SD CARD?

2. How do I know that it will restore everything ?

3. Do I just wipe my device through settings?

4. This is more of a what-if question, but lets just say that the software is malfunctioning again and none of the apps (including settings) do not open and blackberry link does not work. An error message pops up on a black screen. How would I be able to wipe my device and do the "restore" process that way?

5. Can the FREE version backup applications or do I need to pay the 10 dollars on BBW for it to do so?

My phone is a Blackberry Leap and it runs on Blackberry OS 10.3.3.2137

Thank you in advance to whoever's going to help me!
    Apologies for jumping in for Bla1ze on the BB10 forum, but he might be happy to hand this one off to me anyway.

1. You can check to confirm that Ultimate Backup worked successfully by either connecting your phone via Link/Blackberry Blend or taking the SD card in a reader and confirming that there is data in the \Runisoft\CalendarBackups and similar folders.

2. You can always just do a test restore if you like...but Ultimate Backup does restore everything it backs up.

3. You would go to Settings, Security and Privacy, Security Wipe.

4. You would use an autoloader to reload the OS, and then download Ultimate Backup and restore using your backups on the SD card.

5. Neither version of Ultimate Backup can back up or restore applications. So far that functionality is limited to Link/Sachesi/Darcy's Blackberry Tools and cannot be replicated by a native app (and it's unlikely to be so due to the QNX security model in BB10). However, I highly recommend paying the $10 for the Pro version. It's worth it.

Note, however, that you'll need to go to Home and buy directly from them as BBW no longer supports paid apps.

Let me know if you have further issues Leap....all we BB10 users are in this together.
    02-14-19 10:09 PM
    TrumpetTiger,

I'm following up here regarding you suggestion to me to use Runisoft's Ultimate Backup.

I had purchased it a few weeks ago, but without the ability to push the backup to my NAS drive or another cloud site, I am backing up to the SD card and then using NET Shares FE to copy the entire Runisoft directory to my NAS.

I was hoping there was a better way to automatically backup to an external site. Any thoughts?

Also, the issue I have noticed is that there is the potential for Ultimate Backup to go into an endless backup loop when backing up to SD. This is because the App only allows you to select file folder categories vs specific folders. Runisoft saves backups in the Documents folder on the SD card, which also contains files I want to include in the backup.

So for now, I am monitoring the process to make sure this doesn't occur, but I was hoping for a more seamless, automatic way to schedule a full backup end to end that picks up app data.

The other issue is it backs up the map files for the GPS apps I have installed. I really want to exclude them because I would restore from the App developers site. These files in cumulative can consume over 1GB of data.

I use MS Outlook, so I have no need to backup my calendar, emails or contacts. It's mainly photos and App data.

Sorry for the long winded post. I believe in backups, but if it is difficult to sustain, then there's still risk of loss, but even worse, a scattering of backups that calls into question which one is correct.

Regards,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    02-14-19 11:30 PM
    TrumpetTiger,

I'm following up here regarding you suggestion to me to use Runisoft's Ultimate Backup.

I had purchased it a few weeks ago, but without the ability to push the backup to my NAS drive or another cloud site, I am backing up to the SD card and then using NET Shares FE to copy the entire Runisoft directory to my NAS.

I was hoping there was a better way to automatically backup to an external site. Any thoughts?

Also, the issue I have noticed is that there is the potential for Ultimate Backup to go into an endless backup loop when backing up to SD. This is because the App only allows you to select file folder categories vs specific folders. Runisoft saves backups in the Documents folder on the SD card, which also contains files I want to include in the backup.

So for now, I am monitoring the process to make sure this doesn't occur, but I was hoping for a more seamless, automatic way to schedule a full backup end to end that picks up app data.

The other issue is it backs up the map files for the GPS apps I have installed. I really want to exclude them because I would restore from the App developers site. These files in cumulative can consume over 1GB of data.

I use MS Outlook, so I have no need to backup my calendar, emails or contacts. It's mainly photos and App data.

Sorry for the long winded post. I believe in backups, but if it is difficult to sustain, then there's still risk of loss, but even worse, a scattering of backups that calls into question which one is correct.

Regards,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    No worries Anders; I totally understand the need for reliable, organized backups.

To answer your questions one at a time:

For automatic backups, I'd actually suggest backing up directly to your NAS. There are a couple ways this can be done, involving either mapping your BB10 SD card as a network drive on your local computer (from which you can use any backup/sync utility of your choice to automatically send it to your NAS) or using Blackberry Link's Remote File Access feature to give your device access to your NAS as a mapped drive. You can then set Ultimate Backup to backup to the custom location of your NAS.

Given the fact that you HAVE a NAS and are concerned about backing up to it, I'm assuming you may be techy enough to pull off either of these without further assistance, but I'm happy to provide detailed instructions for either method if you like.

Regarding the endless backup loop: I have never had that happen in UB, and you can set a custom folder for backups so it doesn't use Documents, but you should definitely be comfortable with this yourself. I'd set a custom location, schedule backups overnight, then check them at your convenience until you're confident.

On your GPS apps: where are the map files stored? I'd imagine there's a way to either redirect the map files, thus eliminating the issue, or to somehow avoid having to have them backed up. We can certainly check into it further.

Let me know if you have any additional issues; I'm confident we can find a solution that works.
    02-15-19 12:29 AM