Hello Bla1ze,
    I currently use Blackberry Q10 and I'm very happy with it. I was wondering if I needed to back up my 'password app' given the lack of support from 2020 onwards. Does lack of support mean business as usual, just without further updates?
    Thank you for your help

Posted via CB10
    11-13-19 06:22 PM
    Hello Bla1ze,
    I currently use Blackberry Q10 and I'm very happy with it. I was wondering if I needed to back up my 'password app' given the lack of support from 2020 onwards. Does lack of support mean business as usual, just without further updates?
    Thank you for your help

Posted via CB10
    Nothing will explode on Jan 1st, but the backend services will decay over time.

You should always have a current backup in any context, so don't stop now.
    11-13-19 06:40 PM
    Passwords definitely should be maintained in a format that can be opened on a computer, in addition to an app. It would be horrible to lose everything if the app stops working.
    11-13-19 08:59 PM
    Hello Bla1ze,
    Thank you for your help

Posted via CB10
    Hey MRmuz,

Blackberry Limited actually will be supporting BB10 well into 2020 and beyond. If you use Password Keeper, this app and other built-in native apps have been confirmed to still work normally without any Blackberry Limited-provided services or support whatsoever, so you should definitely be good. With that said, multiple backups of your data are always a good thing and I'd highly recommend them. Let me know if you'd like some suggestions on backup methods outside of the built-in Password Keeper backup.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-14-19 at 09:36 AM.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-13-19 11:38 PM
    Please do not be concerned with the so-called lack of support, or the replies from others on this thread, as Blackberry Limited actually will be actively supporting BB10 well into 2020 and beyond.
    BB10 will be EOL (meaning BlackBerry, Ltd will no longer provide support) in a month and a half.

This does not mean your phone will brick at 12:01 on January 1st, but it does mean your experience will continue to degrade rapidly, especially as BlackBerry discontinues backend services for BB10 at some unspecified date after December 31st, 2019. This could be anywhere between a month and several years, but it’s best to err on the side of caution and prepare as if it’s sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-14-19 at 09:25 AM.
    John Albert, pgg101 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-14-19 12:08 AM
    BB10 will be EOL (meaning BlackBerry, Ltd will no longer provide support) in a month and a half.

This does not mean your phone will brick at 12:01 on January 1st, but it does mean your experience will continue to degrade rapidly, especially as BlackBerry discontinues backend services for BB10 at some unspecified date after December 31st, 2019. This could be anywhere between a month and several years, but it’s best to err on the side of caution and prepare as if it’s sooner rather than later.
    This is accurate. All we know is that the backend services won't explode on Jan 1st.

Anything else is conjecture - including my opinion that things will likely continue until they break.

But like you say, plan for the worst.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-14-19 at 09:26 AM.
    mh1983 likes this.
    11-14-19 12:12 AM

Blackberry Limited has indicated they are continuing support for back-end services specifically and that they are not EOL.

Statement from BBL:

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2019...egacy-services

Statement confirming BB10 Back-End Services are not EOL (scroll down to Operating Systems, look for the asterisk):

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-14-19 at 09:27 AM.
    11-14-19 12:12 AM
    This is accurate. All we know is that the backend services won't explode on Jan 1st.

Anything else is conjecture - including my opinion that things will likely continue until they break.

But like you say, plan for the worst.
    Both your statements are inaccurate, as BB10 services are specifically not EOL and are still supported. Not only will the back-end services not explode on January 1st, they will be actively fixed.
    11-14-19 12:13 AM
    Blackberry Limited has indicated they are continuing support for back-end services specifically and that they are not EOL.
    Nothing I said was inaccurate. The BlackBerry 10 operating system will EOL, meaning no further feature, bug or security updates, ever again.
    BlackBerry after 2019?-787d93de-2fb7-4e7b-8295-42c707f4e0ee.jpeg

As I also stated, BlackBerry will keep backend services running, but it is not stated for how long, which should be worrying for anyone who relies on the full functionality of all the basic features of the OS. It could very well mean those services will be shut down in June.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-14-19 at 11:21 AM.
    11-14-19 08:52 AM
    Both your statements are inaccurate, as BB10 services are specifically not EOL and are still supported. Not only will the back-end services not explode on January 1st, they will be actively fixed.
    If everything BB10 isn’t EOL on 12/31/2019, there would be no date or listing with asterisk on BB website. Some BB10 aspects do EOL on 12/31/2019 as per BB itself. Specifically anything not listed and covered under the provisions of the asterisk.

@MRmuz81 , all the parties here are correct as the problem is we have no idea what the actual BB statement really means. It’s, unfortunately, fact wrapped in spin. Is Password Keeper considered “back-end service” by the only entity that matters? BlackBerry itself knowingly released and has released statements like this because it’s duty is to it’s shareholders and their interests.

Why and what the reasons that drive what BB does is truly only known by the company itself unless it chooses to better explain it’s spin and motives. BlackBerry is profit driven and whatever has already been decided is towards achieving the goal of profit maximization for the entire BlackBerry company.

I’m a BlackBerry fan in general and I own more unique BB hardware than most anyone here. I have no idea what BB will and won’t support after 12/31/2019 for exactly how long. Look at the Playbook and it’s complete lifecycle of support for indications of what to expect since going EOL in April 2018 which also could impact BB decisions on how to handle BB10 situation.
    11-14-19 09:18 AM
    Plan for the worst and hope for the best..... You should do that on any platform - EOL or not.

By all means, make backups that can be accessed from other platforms.... PasswordKeeper will export in open format.
    mh1983 and john_v like this.
    11-14-19 09:19 AM
    Plan for the worst and hope for the best..... You should do that on any platform - EOL or not.

By all means, make backups that can be accessed from other platforms.... PasswordKeeper will export in open format.
    I try to run my digital world in such a way that any device or platform can be completely obliterated at any time with minimal loss of information. I can recover from almost any reasonable scenario in less than 2 hours. Moreover, I simulate this 1-2 times a year for each device and platform.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    john_v likes this.
    11-14-19 09:23 AM
    Alright lets try this again. Stop the back and forth arguing and baiting.

Post will get removed from here out no matter if there is ANY good content in them at all. I was nice and removed only portions that were off topic or baiting for the most part but that will not continue in this matter.

There have been 10+ reports from several members in the last 2 days over this constant arguing. Everyone sees it and all members are sick of it. Last warning for everyone. Keep the comments clean and free from baiting statements against others
    Bla1ze, mikael11, mh1983 and 5 others like this.
    11-14-19 09:35 AM
    If everything BB10 isn’t EOL on 12/31/2019, there would be no date or listing with asterisk on BB website. Some BB10 aspects do EOL on 12/31/2019 as per BB itself. Specifically anything not listed and covered under the provisions of the asterisk.

@MRmuz81 , all the parties here are correct as the problem is we have no idea what the actual BB statement really means. It’s, unfortunately, fact wrapped in spin. Is Password Keeper considered “back-end service” by the only entity that matters? BlackBerry itself knowingly released and has released statements like this because it’s duty is to it’s shareholders and their interests.

Why and what the reasons that drive what BB does is truly only known by the company itself unless it chooses to better explain it’s spin and motives. BlackBerry is profit driven and whatever has already been decided is towards achieving the goal of profit maximization for the entire BlackBerry company.

I’m a BlackBerry fan in general and I own more unique BB hardware than most anyone here. I have no idea what BB will and won’t support after 12/31/2019 for exactly how long. Look at the Playbook and it’s complete lifecycle of support for indications of what to expect since going EOL in April 2018 which also could impact BB decisions on how to handle BB10 situation.
    For profit for sure! However we can consider decisions protecting the shareholders and bolstering a declining stock to be more damage control than for Profit considerations. I believe 2020 will be a very difficult fiscal earnings year for BlackBerry and PR will be heavily weighted towards damage control. Consider if BlackBerry has to announce that 4 licensees have failed, producing a further loss to projected earnings and that BB10, which is still entrenched in Government agencies and some sensitive Corporate bodies, has gone EOL. These would indeed dominate the BlackBerry Brand news cycle with the potential for catastrophic stock failure.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-14-19 03:18 PM
    For profit for sure! However we can consider decisions protecting the shareholders and bolstering a declining stock to be more damage control than for Profit considerations. I believe 2020 will be a very difficult fiscal earnings year for BlackBerry and PR will be heavily weighted towards damage control. Consider if BlackBerry has to announce that 4 licensees have failed, producing a further loss to projected earnings and that BB10, which is still entrenched in Government agencies and some sensitive Corporate bodies, has gone EOL. These would indeed dominate the BlackBerry Brand news cycle with the potential for catastrophic stock failure.
    Zero concerns with that. Nobody cared when BB10 announced EOL two years ago. The big news, was three years ago when announcing the exit from mobile hardware, and the biggest comment from the media, basically was that everyone thought BB exited mobile hardware 4-5 years before when BBOS hardware was shoved in the back of carrier stores hidden behind early generations of prepaid Android burner phones.

The shares are so close to book value and Fairfax might actually welcome further decline. Since any bid requires a premium over current market price, 20% premium over $3-4 share would be impossible to fight on fair price guidelines. Again, I don’t think it would really matter.

Last time mobile announced exit, share price went up. Institutional money knows mobile and mobile licensing hasn’t been significant to BB revenues or earnings for 3-4 years. With Cylance now, the BB licensing could be viewed more of a negative distraction.

The failure of everything BB mobile related doesn’t even matter to Canadians anymore like the old days. That’s demonstrated with how BBMo hardware sales are negligible there as well. Please no offense to Canadians, but whatever brands of phones y’all are buying, it wasn’t BBMo or even close.
    11-14-19 04:02 PM
    The main thing is to make sure that ALL of your important data (documents, pics, videos, music, app data, passwords, web bookmarks, etc.) are saved/exported in an open format that can be externally accessed or imported on another platform, and that you maintain such backups regularly. As long as you're doing that, you can go on using BB10 (or any platform) for as long as it works for you.

Do NOT rely on Link backups (which are encrypted and rely on BB infrastructure) as the only method for backups, though it's good to have the data in that format also for convenience sake as long as BB infrastructure is up. But if/when it ever goes down, those backups are useless and you can't access the data inside them any other way.
    11-15-19 08:43 AM
    There were six licensees... I doubt any of Chen's current guidance includes anything from that side of their business. Nor do I see any reason to make announcements about it at this point - minor business ventures fail all the time. It falls under licensing and it looks like overall licensing revenue is pretty stable... grown a little YoY even with the mess that is the "phone business".

If it makes any news... Chen can probably show that for BlackBerry Ltd it only cost them money over the last three years, and it's a good thing they have ended it. Then he would say Cylance three times and move on.
    11-15-19 10:02 AM
    Then he would say Cylance three times CLICK HIS HEELS, SAY THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE SILICON VALLEY and move on.
    If he did this, Apple, Google and Microsoft all would partner up on some projects around UEM and QNX more.
    11-15-19 10:11 AM
    If he did this, Apple, Google and Microsoft all would partner up on some projects around UEM and QNX more.
    I'm not sure they aren't already there in a fairly big way.... Good's Headquarters are still there, as is Cylance. Ryan Permeh is now BlackBerry's chief security architect, I suspect he's stay put in sunny Southern California.
    11-15-19 10:47 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Limited or TCL will make any announcements about the BlackBerry mobile demise when the licensing deal runs out. I think it will just fade away.

I believe part of the decision to leave the servers on for an indefinite period is part of the same. Don't make waves. I also assume BlackBerry decided keeping the services running was less expensive than releasing an EOL BB10 update to break the reliance on the backend services.

The update route had a lot of challenges. The testing requirements alone was going to be very expensive. If they missed a bug, lots of bad PR. The current plan is not very expensive and can let everything just quietly fade away as usage declines.
    11-18-19 08:55 AM